What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951331

Well, there's probably a reason Paramount took the up front licensing fee for the Republic Catalog from Olive rather than try to profit on the films through their own individual releases. one kinda has to think of these 3rd party licensing companies (Criterion aside) as extensions of MOD programs. It's fairly rare that they get such prestige titles as Olive has got from the Republic library, but that's the oddity of how Paramount handles that group of films.

As far as needing ready cash, often studios will pick up film catalogs only to show their inherent value on the books; in other words, their value as owned assets are their only real concern and not so much in bringing them to the public on home video or other home viewing services. With how Paramount has handled the Republic Library after they acquired it, and considering quotes like "It's not even our film", this seems to be the primary reasoning for this purchase by the top financial brass. At least that's the perception.

I only have the really old Artisan DVD of High Noon which was pretty awful by today's standards, so I'm afraid I can't compare the new Blu-ray with the SE DVD released by Lionsgate in 2008, small monitor or otherwise. I suspect the 2008 DVD and this release use the same source.

I've read nothing but positive things about The Grapes of Wrath on Blu-ray. Now that it's more readily available perhaps Mr. Harris will take a peak at it in the future.
This weekend I will try to compare the previous two DVD releases to the current BRD. As far as The Grapes of Wrath, I bought that disc when Twilight Time had it briefly. It looked very good with plenty of film grain for the "it looks like film" crowd.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by ackbak /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951357
I would like to meet Paramount... At high noon...
This is just too bad. I was looking forward to adding this to my collection, but will either just rent it, or wait for the $5 used or bargin bin copy.
One of my fathers all-time favorite movies and I grew up as a lad watching it with him every couple of years.
Would have been nice if they would have done this right.
Thank your RAH for your impressions of the film. Frozen/crawling grain (reminds me of some of the Paramount Star Trek releases) is not my thing...
High Noon is one of those cases that are monitor-size centric. On smaller monitors, problems will probably not be evident.

Still no excuse for them.

This master would probably make a stunning standard def DVD.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951439
High Noon is one of those cases that are monitor-size centric. On smaller monitors, problems will probably not be evident.

RAH

Another problem is just about all the work that is done to get a title ready for video release is done on smaller monitors. The work isn't done on front projection size screens, the monitors are more like 40 or so inch screens. Furthermore, the vast majority of consumers shopping at BB or Walmart don't have 100+ inch screens and probably don't read forums like HTF so they're happy as a "pig in crap" with their ignorance on these PQ issues.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951457
Another problem is just about all the work that is done to get a title ready for video release is done on smaller monitors. The work isn't done on front projection size screens, the monitors are more like 40 or so inch screens.

Is this honestly the case? The industry wouldn't do such work using the most "state of the art" equipment? Sounds about as appropriate as mixing and mastering CDs on Radio Shack speakers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951463

Is this honestly the case? The industry wouldn't do such work using the most "state of the art" equipment? Sounds about as appropriate as mixing and mastering CDs on Radio Shack speakers.

It was the last time I visited some of those facilities. Now, some of the work might be done with a larger screen, but I doubt all of it is with these large projection screens. They don't have enough space to accomodate multiple screens of that size for different work spaces.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Why on earth would Paramount farm one of the best, most revered films in their catalogue out to some rinky dink outfit (no offfense Olive) instead of releasing it themselves?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Brandon Conway said:
As far as needing ready cash, often studios will pick up film catalogs only to show their inherent value on the books; in other words, their value as owned assets are their only real concern and not so much in bringing them to the public on home video or other home viewing services. With how Paramount has handled the Republic Library after they acquired it, and considering quotes like "It's not even our film", this seems to be the primary reasoning for this purchase by the top financial brass. At least that's the perception.
That's a bit much. Chief executives rule or perish based on stock valuation and the Street doesn't give a darn about book value of assets - they care about how a company turns their assets.
Third party deals make sense if your internal video group is well utilized or if you want to reduce those payrolls. In essence, you get the cash without the overhead and the Street will love you for it. Moreover, titles are not left in inventory, underutilized. If this forum wants to get really upset about studio decisions, it should be about films just gathering dust.
So, candidly, this is not about outsourcing, as all of this would be moot if a treasured film had a great release. It's simply about the execution.

Kurosawa

Agent
Real Name
David Fyten
Ransom Stoddard said:
Why on earth would Paramount farm one of the best, most revered films in their catalogue out to some rinky dink outfit (no offfense Olive) instead of releasing it themselves?
For several years, Paramount has been antipathetic to its treasure trove of classic titles, removing dozens of its catalog DVD releases from print and refusing to release most of its best titles on Blu-ray. There are some exceptions--To Catch a Thief earlier this year, and Sunset Blvd., scheduled for November release--but for the most part, Paramount has a deplorable track record with catalog titles.
Lawrence of Arabia notwithstanding, Sony is moving in the same direction, licensing most of its best Columbia properties to third-party outfits. (Word is that Criterion has acquired the rights to On the Waterfront. Now won't that be wonderful!) We should be eternally grateful for "rinky-dink outfits" like Olive Films. What would we classic film/home theater enthusiasts do without them?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951483
Because there's just not enough of us buying these classic films on BRD for them to take notice of the profit margins they yearn for.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Chas in CT said:
Is this honestly the case?  The industry wouldn't do such work using the most "state of the art" equipment?  Sounds about as appropriate as mixing and mastering CDs on Radio Shack speakers.
It depends on the facility doing the work. In the color timing featurette on the first French Connection Blu-ray (the one with the horrific "pastel" color nonsense), William Friedkin proudly displays his before-and-after results on a studio monitor about 20" diagonal. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Kurosawa /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/60#post_3951497
For several years, Paramount has been antipathetic to its treasure trove of classic titles, removing dozens of its catalog DVD releases from print and refusing to release most of its best titles on Blu-ray. There are some exceptions--To Catch a Thief earlier this year, and Sunset Blvd., scheduled for November release--but for the most part, Paramount has a deplorable track record with catalog titles.
Lawrence of Arabia notwithstanding, Sony is moving in the same direction, licensing most of its best Columbia properties to third-party outfits. (Word is that Criterion has acquired the rights to On the Waterfront. Now won't that be wonderful!) We should be eternally grateful for "rinky-dink outfits" like Olive Films. What would we classic film/home theater enthusiasts do without them?

Very true! With all historical value aside while protecting their film history, if the studios were making mucho profits on releasing these classics on BRD, they would be releasing these titles themselves and in greater numbers with better PQ.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
JoshZ said:
In the color timing featurette on the first French Connection Blu-ray (the one with the horrific "pastel" color nonsense), William Friedkin proudly displays his before-and-after results on a studio monitor about 20" diagonal. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
Josh, you keep repeating that anecdote, but I still haven't seen you provide any evidence that the monitor in the featurette was even one of those used to produce the Blu-ray, let alone the only one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/90#post_3951505
Josh, you keep repeating that anecdote, but I still haven't seen you provide any evidence that the monitor in the featurette was even one of those used to produce the Blu-ray, let alone the only one.

Go to one of those facilities and see for yourself. I'll be going out to LA this October for our HTF Meet and I will be paying close attention if we get another tour through one of those facilities.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Crawford said:
Go to one of those facilities and see for yourself.
I'm not trying to deny that it's generally true; I just don't like to see assumptions made about a particular example. There are some facilities which very much understand the value of viewing on larger screens and make sure to include it in their production workflows.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Crawford said:
This weekend I will try to compare the previous two DVD releases to the current BRD.  As far as The Grapes of Wrath, I bought that disc when Twilight Time had it briefly.  It looked very good with plenty of film grain for the "it looks like film" crowd.:P
Great, can't wait to hear. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Several months ago, we sent 3-D restoration demo discs to top people at every studio. One of the majors got back to me and said they couldn't watch it. They did not have access to a Blu-ray player.
True story!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/322358/a-few-words-about-high-noon-in-blu-ray/90#post_3951540
Several months ago, we sent 3-D restoration demo discs to top people at every studio. One of the majors got back to me and said they couldn't watch it. They did not have access to a Blu-ray player.
True story!

What film clips did the discs contain and can i have one. ?

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Robert Harris said:
High Noon is one of those cases that are monitor-size centric.  On smaller monitors, problems will probably not be evident.
RAH
Mr. H, I'd no idea you were being ironic in your prior reply. If I understand the UCLA library, and searched correctly The Quiet Man film hasn't been checked out either...
God bless Mr. Crisp and his team for doing Lawrence right!
Well, perhaps if this is on sale, I'll compare to the DVD that I have; but I can see how fantastic, for example, the restoration of All About Eve looks on my smaller Panasonic plasma display; no DVD looks this great, amazing per your info in your review the negative was lost and they created this beautiful Blu-ray! I think one can even tell a quality difference on a calibrated, quality, smaller flat screen.
Do hope you give us your take on Grapes of Wrath. My fingers are crossed!
Best wishes,
J.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Bob Furmanek said:
True story!
Thanks Bob! Are they watching on their IPhones or IPads? No disrespect intended...
Amazing! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks