What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Heathers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Heathers is a reasonably low budget 1989 production that I never recall looking terribly good on DVD. Fortunately, Anchor Bay has provided a clean HD transfer for Blu-ray, with a resultant image that appears natural and film-like.

This clique black comedy scores quality points, and will hopefully perform well for Anchor Bay.

Recommended.

RAH

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
F*$& me gently with a chainsaw! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! One of my favorite movies and I am so glad Anchor Bay didn't go the route of just recycling past lousy transfer(s) made for DVD. Thanks for the report, Robert!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I was very worried about this transfer as well. It is a favorite of the wife's and mine, so I was going to pick it up anyway, but it is nice to hear that I won't have to do so begrudgingly.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
What? I am stunned to hear this since the so called "remastered" Anchor Bay SD-DVD release, which was taken from a 1080i source, was DVNR'd to death and looked like complete crap compared to the earlier 480i non-anamorphic release. The difference was striking and Anchor Bay received huge loads of hate mail as a result.

I love Robert Harris, but I will have to see this for myself. Especially after HALLOWEEN and EVIL DEAD II showed up on BD from the much hated transfers (wrong color correction on Haolloween and DVNR on ED2).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just briefly took a look at this and it seems fairly good. There is definitely some grain intact and although it still looks a bit soft, it doesn't look waxy.

My big pet peeve is that they didn't include the film's original mono soundtrack. I can't understand why it would be so difficult. I appreciate that the 5.1 remix is lossless, but the original mono track should be included here in my opinion.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm still waiting for this one to arrive. I'm glad to hear it doesn't look waxy, and I am disappointed, though not surprised, to hear the original mono soundtrack was not retained.

Incidentally, Fox gets a lot of crap, and most of it is justified, but lately I've become more appreciative of the studio due to their inclusion of original soundtracks.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Very rare. Even most low-budget films could afford Ultra-Stereo. The original Laserdisc of Heathers was PCM Mono.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I picked this up even though I have the laser disc and DVD box set. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but i can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks