What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Harry Potter - Hogwarts Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

With shelving filled with various incarnations of Special Editions, 3-D Editions, Special Features et al, I'm finally totally pleased with a Harry Potter product from WB.

Totally.

Produced without wands, bats, newt eyes are other interesting paraphernalia, Warners has finally cut to the chase, with the best product so far for those who desire to own these great films, along with all of the special features.

The discs are the same as earlier releases, but are now packaged in a gorgeous book, discs sliding into the requisite spots.  And this book is solid, and fits into another very solid protective case.

A total of 31 discs, inclusive of DVD versions, and now with the final two features offered in 3-D as well as 2.

Currently on sale at Amazon at a 48% discount -- $130 for the set, and worth every penny.  Works out to about $16 per multi-disc set.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just sold my Wizards collection megabox and used some of the proceeds towards the purchase of this Hogwarts set (same exact discs, none of the toys), and I'm really happy. All of the great content, but less than 50 pounds and smaller than a small refrigerator at last. I had no idea the Wizards box was as giant sized as it turned out to be when I ordered it, and had been regretting it ever since it showed up at my house -- but I wanted the disc-based content so I was kinda stuck. Finally happy here too.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"...and had been regretting it ever since it showed up at my house"I haven't, since it's pretty unique. But it was obviously only a matter of time when they re-release it without the "stuff".

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jari K said:
"...and had been regretting it ever since it showed up at my house"I haven't, since it's pretty unique. But it was obviously only a matter of time when they re-release it without the "stuff".
In fairness to WB, it appears that this set was announced for a later release at the same time as the big box. Nothing hidden here.RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jari K said:
I haven't, since it's pretty unique. But it was obviously only a matter of time when they re-release it without the "stuff".
To each his own, no judgment from me! I just didn't have the room -- the problem with apartment/city living (which I otherwise love) is that there's only a finite amount of space. The Harry Potter set didn't fit on a shelf or even in the same room with the rest of my movies.. so it was always relegated to being on a floor somewhere.

But compared to a few of the other Warner box sets I've gotten, I appreciated that it was pretty nicely designed. Everyone I showed the Harry Potter Wizards set had the same two reactions: first, "wow, this is beautiful" and then second, "This thing is huge, I'd have no place to put it." At least two friends had been thinking about buying it until they saw my copy and saw how big it was. But it was at least the best designed/nicest looking of their big sets that I've bought or almost bought. I got the "Dark Knight Trilogy" ultimate box for the bonus disc, and it includes three cheap plastic toys, a slim hardcover of readily available stills I had already seen countless times before, and mini 8x10 villain posters that weren't representative of any previously released theatrical artwork, so basically nothing I wanted but the bonus disc. So, that three movie (six disc) set, takes up more room on my shelf than this new Harry Potter 31 disc set, or the Bond 22 movie set. That stuff drives me a little nuts. When the Blade Runner final cut came out, I was still DVD only, and the only way to get the workprint on DVD was to buy the edition with the box of plastic toys. I couldn't just not see the workprint after all that time, so the box set it was... but when I got a Blu-ray player, I was happy to be able to get the Blu-ray set with the workprint but without the toys. I'd prefer the option of getting all the disc-based content without the padding.

With very few exceptions, I like the minimal amount of packaging possible, while still keeping close to the standard Blu-ray case size. I just bought a copy of Criterion's "Hard Day's Night" Blu-ray as a gift for my little brother, and I was surprised at how huge that is -- it takes up the space of two or three individual titles. Or in terms of shelf space, two copies of Hard Day's Night is about equal to this 31 disc set.

But back to Potter -- I'd watched maybe half of the bonus discs from the Wizards version of the set and really enjoyed everything, so I'm looking forward to finishing those discs on the Hogwarts edition.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Harris said:
In fairness to WB, it appears that this set was announced for a later release at the same time as the big box. Nothing hidden here.RAH
If that's the case, I missed the announcement - the Wizards set came out in Sept. 2012, and this Hogwarts set came out in 2014. (First as an Amazon exclusive, I believe, then wider release more recently.) Either way, I got the larger Wizards set onsale for about what the Hogwarts set goes for, so swapping one from the other wasn't a giant financial hit. I do appreciate that Warner made that kind of multi-release advanced warning for their "Lord of the Rings" titles.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Nothing hidden here."Perhaps the first time for you ( ;) ), but I believe you're wrong with this one. I don't think that they announced these at the same time. Wizard set is actually kinda old now. Perhaps it still feels new.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Personally, I love my Wizard's Collection (especially since it only cost me $149 at Costco). But I totally understand how the average fan would just want all the discs alone in an easy-in, easy-out format.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
JohnMor said:
Personally, I love my Wizard's Collection (especially since it only cost me $149 at Costco). But I totally understand how the average fan would just want all the discs alone in an easy-in, easy-out format.
If the box came in the "bigger on the inside" magical bag that Hermoine has in Deathly Hallows Part 1, then I would have enjoyed it a lot more :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have all the individual UCE releases, all the same disc content as this set.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Same poor bit rates on the early films (15 Mbit/s VC1) and mediocre ones on the later films? If so, no thanks. I'll wait for the 4K editions.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Please do not flame me for this.

I love the films, but at least half of them are tough to watch on vid.

Azkaban was tough even in the theater. The picture is very plugged up ,even in bright daylight scenes. No detail in even mildy dark areas..

Half blood Prince and deathly hollows part one are the worst.
Not only is the look darker and darker, but now also very dim, as iif J.K.Rowling relocated the series on a planet whose sun is dying and almost burt out.
How I wish they would remaster these.
I think Warner Vid took Deathly Hollows Two into their own hands and brightened the picture.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, with the continual repackagings/re-imaginings of these titles, and the very low prices that seem to still be getting lower, I'd like to think it means some better re-masterings of these titles is imminent (the first 3 especially). Christmas next year? Is there anybody who doesn't have these already, they're almost as worthless used as Bonds (which I guess is the intention of saturation)? I will certainly buy again in 4K...or maybe this is it, and they will never be sold as physical media beyond 1080p...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ So do the DVDs of them. I don't mind the DVDs, not everybody has a BDP, but just about everybody doesn't mind these movies so they're a safe "bring" for a wide range of ages (compared to what I'd really prefer to watch). :) The BDs could be a lot better, you can see the improvement starting at the fourth, it's the HD transfers that are lacking. IMO of course. Are the first three "scrunched" on 25GB discs? I forget.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I really wish WB would consider releasing a DVD-only version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2 Ultimate Edition. I have faithfully purchased all of the previous Ultimate Editions on DVD and was eagerly looking forward to completing my collection. What a disappointment it was to find that they only released a Blu-ray combo version that has DVDs of the movies but no DVDs of the bonus features (including the final installments, parts 7 and 8, of the wonderful Creating the World of Harry Potter documentary). This is truly a disservice to those of us who have supported the DVD releases of the Ultimate Edition line.

Darby

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If this set had come with a set of Hogwarts coasters or an ash tray, it would easily be worth another $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks