What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I cannot believe that I'm commenting on this Blu-ray, but it is the first to include 3-D footage.

I was not only never a tween (or is it 'tween) girl, but I was never a tween.

The term wouldn't be invented for another forty years.

Had I been able to be a tween, I'm certain that I still would have been watching the Universal horror classics on TV, and not Miley's grandmother.

While I didn't actually view the entire 82 minutes of Hannah and Miley, I did sample enough to come away with the information that we need.

Shot in HDCAM, there is no grain.

There are no "age related artifacts."

The average age of those on screen is probably around 12.

At that age I would have found Universal's rendition of The Wolfman, The Mummy, Dracula and Frankenstein a bit less "manufactured" than Hannah & Miley, although I'm not certain which of the five would have made it to the top of the castle electrodes first. Probably Hannah. Her parents must feed her well to keep her energy level high.

This is a beautifully produced -- it is Disney, after all -- show, photographed with style to show off the 3-D, which works in the red / blue mode, while cutting color virtually to nothing, which is to be expected.

There are two versions of the film included -- 2-D and 3-D, with the musical numbers in 3-D, which does add a bit of fun.

High quality. High energy. And good, clean fun.

Any 11-year old girl who isn't in the projection club in school would be thrilled to own this DVD.

If one needs to view it with their tween, it is not a painful experience.

On a strictly tech note, this is an extremely important release as it proves that 3-D, especially for the early films in b & w, is viable for Blu-ray.

Recommended...

for tween girls.

RAH

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
I posted some screenshots the broadcast version from Disney HD. Will follow that up later with a "proper" comparison thread.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I enjoyed the humour of these two sentences placed back to back. Hilarious
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As the parent of daughters aged 12, 7, and (today!) 1, my viewing of this is inevitable, so I appreciate the info.

My wife was kind enough to take the older girls to see it in 3-D at the theater. She will not tell me which is her favorite Jonas brother, though. I suspect she is just trying to avoid a heated argument.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Rolando

Screenwriter
So does the 3d "work"? I know the 3D scene in Freddy on my DVD did nothing but then again it was like that in theatres too...

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
It didn't work at all on the Standard Disney Channel version, BUT, it worked MAGNIFICENTLY on both the DisneyHD and the StarzHD on Demand versions. And I'm a guy who doesn't like anaglyphic 3D TV (well, not before this, anyway) and complained about paying $18 for a non-imax, only partially 3D movie. I would like to see the older 50's (Hint Hint: Universal's Creature From the Black Lagoon) and 80's 3D movies done in this proccess, if possible. You don't have to be a HM/MC fan to enjoy the 3D photography.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Works beautifully, but with red and blue gels against color, the image is basically monochrome.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I watched this on StarzHD the first night and was disappointed to see that it wasn't in 3-D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks