What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Grand Canyon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are a handful of filmmakers that I place in my favorite category. Some of are obvious. Others, less so.

Lawrence Kasdan is among them. I'm a huge fan.

Right from the start.

Body Heat.

Everything about it just worked. You could feel the humidity. And you had to wonder where the relationship was going, and why.

For those who may not be aware, Mr. Kasdan initially made his mark as a writer.

Little films.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Those films.

Then The Big Chill, Silverado, The Accidental Tourist, and two decades ago, Grand Canyon.

Before there was Crash, a film about lives colliding, there was Grand Canyon.

Fox has licensed the film to Anchor Bay, and that's a very good thing, as it needs to be available for viewing.

I never give away a story line, and I will not here.

Just think Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell, Mary-Louise Parker, and Alfre Woodard in a beautiful piece about fear and life in Los Angeles. Possibly not in that order.

Image quality is fine, with no problems. Color looks correct, with nice shadow detail. Grain looks proper. Audio is presented via Dolby TrueHD 5.1, and sounds proper. I would presume that had the release been via Fox as opposed to Anchor Bay, that bits of clean-up necessary might have received few more hours work, but there are no problems here vis a vis dirt or damage.

Image: 4

Audio: 5

Recommended.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I love this movie! All the various parts not only work well on their own, but interweave beautifully to a nice, understated finale. Nice to hear that the presentation is up to par.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Very happy to see the Recommended tag associated with this fine film. I have been a fan since my first viewing and I am looking forward to revisiting this on Blu-ray. In addition to Kasdan and his fine cast I would mention composer James Newton Howard. I have generally enjoyed Howard's work through the years and this film features (IMHO) some of his better work. - Walter.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Have not seen this since my VHS rental days way back when. Looking forward to this one. Thanks Robert

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for covering this one RAH. Seems like some of the titles licensed to Anchor Bay, Image, and the like don't receive as much press and word of mouth as some other titles (not necessarily speaking of here, just in general). I am looking forward to many of the titles Fox has, and might, license to Anchor Bay, this one included (I'm hoping for 29th Street, Mischief, Only the Lonely, etc. come sooner rather than later.. or not at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks