A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goon -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I received a copy of Michael Dowse's Goon, and almost set it aside.

But I'm pleased that I didn't, as it has a certain charm, and a wonderful sense of humor.

Seann William Scott is invited to join a professional hockey team as bit of a thug -- with no prior experience.

A fun film, with good performances, and an especially oddball performance from Liev Schreiber.

Shot on a Red One, with data to a 2k DI, Goon won't win any top awards, but it's a fun experience, and provides some good laughs.

Far better than expectations might have one surmise.

Recommended.

RAH

2. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    In case you're wondering why hockey-mad Canada isn't being all "Well, it's no 'Slap Shot'" about "Goon" (which really is no "Slap Shot"), I think it's because "Goon" is so rich in hockey in-jokes (funny, affectionate ones) that we can't help but love it.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    If the Farrelly Brothers made a movie about the love child of Forrest Gump and Mike Tyson (having been reared by Alvy Singer), it would look like this. On the other hand, this is (loosely) based on a real person. :) Great fun.

4. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

I caught Goon on cable, and it pulled me in. I was surprised at how much I liked the characters, and the writing. So much so that I'll probably buy it. Liev's character somehow made the whole thing work, and I don't think I've ever seen a film that combined mentor and villain in quite this way before.