What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gentlemen Prefer Blondes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Personally, this was a movie I'd only known casually over the years -- yet seeing this recent bluray, I found it a revelation (maybe because I hadn't seen too many Fox musicals of the era and the 40s). I know I may be in the minority here, but I found it was just great, my favorite from that box set.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I'll add a ditto to all the positive comments about the BD of GPB. I have a 37-inch plasma...absolutely perfect for my condo living room. The image is glorious, the colors are unbelievably vibrant. This film has NEVER looked as good on home video in any format as it does on this BD.
Given all the problems folks with extra large screens have with a lot of titles, I may never exceed a 50-inch screen!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/322803/a-few-words-about-gentlemen-prefer-blondes-in-blu-ray#post_3960426
caps-a-holic comparison to DVD
How have you been, Roland?

Comparisons to DVD are irrelevant. How do we believe that an image will look at 16% resolution? Certainly not better. These are comparisons not worth the effort.

RAH

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
RolandL said:
caps-a-holic comparison to DVD
With the incredible use of color in this film, it's a shame those caps don't have much of a range. Where's some of the rich greens, yellows, and purples? I'm not saying caps serve any purpose beyond entertainment, but what is represented there seems a waste of bandwidth.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark B said:
With the incredible use of color in this film, it's a shame those caps don't have much of a range. Where's some of the rich greens, yellows, and purples? I'm not saying caps serve any purpose beyond entertainment, but what is represented there seems a waste of bandwidth.
Here's what's not a shame - the transfer, color-wise. Why are you commenting on caps that bear no relation to what's actually on this disc. Believe me, there are rich greens, yellows, and purples and every other color, a veritable Technicolor feast. Lord I wish there were some way to ban the use of caps everywhere. They cause nothing but confusion, stop people from buying great discs, and bring out the worst on discussion board when they're used as some sort of "evidence" that a transfer is terrible. There's only one thing that's terrible - screen caps. Do away with 'em. Banish 'em. Feed 'em to the dogs.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I'm perfectly happy with the BluRay of BLONDES, and would never base my purchases on anything I read in a forum, let alone a screen cap. I'm just making the point that IF you are going to post these things on the web for the world to see at least try to give us a full range of what the film has to offer.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
I projected GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES onto a 92-inch 16:9 screen and was really excited by it. I was dazzled by the color quality, perhaps to the extent that I didn't notice anything else wrong about the presentation, but I was totally enthralled throughout. Blondes was the first disc I watched, but now that I've seen them all, RIVER OF NO RETURN was the most revelatory on blu-ray, and THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH easily the most disappointing transfer. The lossless sound on all the movies was pretty damn good, too!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris said:
How have you been, Roland?
Comparisons to DVD are irrelevant.  How do we believe that an image will look at 16% resolution?  Certainly not better.  These are comparisons not worth the effort.
RAH
Their comparisons of Cleopatra and Ben-Hur Blu-ray to DVD really sold me on buying those titles which are from 70mm. I already bought the MM titles as they were only $9.96 each. They do look a lot better than the screen caps.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw this movie for the first time on blu ray last night. Great one! I really enjoyed it and the blu ray had great video and the sound mix was very good.
Really enjoying seeing all of these Marilyn Monroe movies for the first time.
Seven Year Itch, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How To Marry a Millionaire. .
I have a couple more of the blu rays to watch. River Of No Return, There's No Business Like Show Business and The Misfits.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
haineshisway said:
There's only one thing that's terrible - screen caps. Do away with 'em. Banish 'em. Feed 'em to the dogs.
Right. And how do I avoid the bad discs then? Taking some guru's word as gospel and let him/her make my buying decisions? Listen to a random bunch of online commentaries? Buy it anyway and get rid of it when it's not up to my standards? I don't think so. Correctly done stills are paramount to get an impression of the work done for a transfer. There is no replacement for them except watching the disc. But for that, unless it can be rented, a purchase is required (or illegal download of a rip) and I don't want to do that unless I'm confident about the quality I'm getting. For that stills are a very useful, although they can't tell the whole story. Stills are good for sorting out a large part of the garbage. Not more, not less. And of course you need to know what you are seeing and what it means. Not a trivial task by any means. Proper stills in the wrong hands are as useless as incorrect stills in capable hands.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Michel_Hafner /t/322803/a-few-words-about-gentlemen-prefer-blondes-in-blu-ray/30#post_3961236

Right. And how do I avoid the bad discs then? Taking some guru's word as gospel and let him/her make my buying decisions? Listen to a random bunch of online commentaries? Buy it anyway and get rid of it when it's not up to my standards? I don't think so. Correctly done stills are paramount to get an impression of the work done for a transfer. There is no replacement for them except watching the disc. But for that, unless it can be rented, a purchase is required (or illegal download of a rip) and I don't want to do that unless I'm confident about the quality I'm getting. For that stills are a very useful, although they can't tell the whole story. Still are good for sorting out a large part of the garbage. Not more, not less. And of course you need to know what you are seeing and what it means. Not a trivial task by any means. Proper stills in the wrong hands are as useless as incorrect stills in capable hands.
Michel,

You are correct, and you state your case beautifully.

"Still are good for sorting out a large part of the garbage. Not more, not less..."

They can be helpful, presuming they have been properly prepared, but, as you also correctly state, they can't give you all the info you need.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Michel_Hafner said:
And how do I avoid the bad discs then? Taking some guru's word as gospel and let him/her make my buying decisions? Listen to a random bunch of online commentaries? Buy it anyway and get rid of it when it's not up to my standards? I don't think so.
What many do is over time is get to know which people they trust, which people's judgement is similar to their own, and then allow themselves to be influenced by the opinions of those people. It might be an esteemed guru or it might be a humble film lover who contributes regularly to a forum like this.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I never believe screen caps. They were generated on a computer; they have nothing to do with the way the blu is going to look on your television, right?
They are useful in pointing out aspect ratios, but that's about it. I recall all those "greened" caps from Lord of the Rings...that movie, on my television, looks nothing like those screen caps did. Plus--understand that your blu-ray player and your television have the capability to sharpen images, enhance colors--however you want to do it. I change the settings every time I put in a new disc. When it looks correct or acceptable to me, then I start watching the flick. Easy. I rarely have to do that with blu-rays, however--just dvds. Blu-rays usually get things right, but if they don't, the day is not lost. I could sharpen the image or whatever I think needs to be done.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Ethan Riley said:
I never believe screen caps. They were generated on a computer; they have nothing to do with the way the blu is going to look on your television, right?
Not really. It's not as simple as that. Basically there is the digital image data on the Blu Ray and there is a rendering and display chain that shows you this data, whether you watch it on a PC monitor, a portable Blu Ray player with a built in screen, a TV set or a projector. The image data is always the same, the rendering and display chain can vary a lot, though. When stills are used to judge image characteristics of a transfer put on a Blu Ray then 2 things are required from the technical side to allow this. The stills must be created correctly so the actual data on the disc is in the stills. The stills must be watched on the display without unwanted modifications by the rendering and the display.
Correctly done stills are identical to what is on the disc except that
- the compressed data has been decompressed following the proper standards for the compression codec
- the 8 bit YCbCr 4:2:0 data is converted to 8 bit RGB 4:4:4
- no further processing is applied to the data (except converting it to a standard image format such as jpeg etc. which may involve lossy compression and could visibly degrade image fidelity, which has to be avoided)
Given that, the stills are a sound basis for judging the image characteristics of the transfer for the individual frames the stills cover.
When the stills are watched what you will see depends on how you watch them. Which display device? How is it calibrated? What colour gamut does it have? What is the pixel count? What colour depth can it handle? What kind of processing does the display apply on the data it is sent? What kind of processing does the software or hardware apply to the data in the stills before sending it to the display?
So if the goal is to see what is on the disc in the intended way then the rendering and display chain must
- use the HD colour gamut (Rec.709) and suitable gamma (usually 2.2 or somewhat higher)
- use the proper video data range (video versus PC range)
- do no resampling of the stills and use 1:1 pixel mapping instead
- not apply any kind of sharpening, noise filtering or other digital processing
- not modify gama, black level, white level, clip or crush image data
If that is given then it does not matter if you watch it on a computer monitor, on a TV set or project it on a screen. It will look very much the same given the same viewing conditions (viewing distance, room ambient light etc.) as long as the capabilities of the displays are about the same concerning brightness, contrast and absolute black level.
In the real world there will always be differences from small to quite large even with properly done stills. The fault does not lie with the stills, it lies with the different rendering and display chains. And it is relevant or irrelevant depending on what you want to find out using stills. If you want to judge colour fidelity of a transfer the best stills are useless if your display is calibrated to another colour gamut than Rec. 709 (and so is the disc itself played at 24 fps). If you want to judge the amount of digital sharpening on the other hand stills can clearly show you if any was applied which left behind typical artifacts as long as you know your rendering chain does not add additional processing. If you want to know if there is fine detail on the transfer (grain or real world detail) again the stills will tell, if your chain is "transparent¨. If you want to know if there is excessive digital grain removal the stills will tell you if you are familiar with signs of such processing. If you want to know if there is aliasing the stills will tell you. If you are interested in blown out highlights and crushed blacks the stills will tell you. If you want to check for obvious compression issues like blocking the stills will tell you (only for the few frames covered, of course).
And then there are things even the best stills will not tell you. You have to watch the disc to see them. Such things as
- what's going on in all the shots the stills are not covering? (Usually transfers are fairly consistent, though, although the used film elements might not be)
- density fluctuations (a dynamic phenomenon not covered with a static approach)
- compression noise
- unnatural temporal grain behaviour due to grain processing (a dynamic phenomenon not covered with a static approach)
- image stability issues
- overall amount of random dirt/speckles/scratches etc.
- of course all aspects concerning the soundtrack(s)
And the best stills in the world plus the disc itself are useless if you don't know what to make out of what you see. If you have no (proper) reference to compare it to. You might see correctly what there is to see, but you don't know for sure what to make of it. And that affects everybody at times, no matter how experienced or well informed you are, or the opposite of it. :)

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Michel_Hafner said:
Right. And how do I avoid the bad discs then? Taking some guru's word as gospel and let him/her make my buying decisions? Listen to a random bunch of online commentaries? Buy it anyway and get rid of it when it's not up to my standards? I don't think so. Correctly done stills are paramount to get an impression of the work done for a transfer. There is no replacement for them except watching the disc. But for that, unless it can be rented, a purchase is required (or illegal download of a rip) and I don't want to do that unless I'm confident about the quality I'm getting. For that stills are a very useful, although they can't tell the whole story. Stills are good for sorting out a large part of the garbage. Not more, not less. And of course you need to know what you are seeing and what it means. Not a trivial task by any means. Proper stills in the wrong hands are as useless as incorrect stills in capable hands.
Most of the screen caps I see on these forums do not remotely compare to the images I see when I play the discs. Most look as though they've been filtered. They aren't as bright and sharp as the images I see when I watch the BD.
Sure, there are the occasional screen caps that look comparable. But how do you decide which screen caps are accurate representations and which are not? In my experience, most of the screen caps do not reflect the quality of the image I will see when I watch the BD.

Lidenbrock

Agent
Real Name
Albert GC
Michel_Hafner said:
Not really. It's not as simple as that. Basically there is the digital image data on the Blu Ray and there is a rendering and display chain that shows you this data, whether you watch it on a PC monitor, a portable Blu Ray player with a built in screen, a TV set or a projector. The image data is always the same, the rendering and display chain can vary a lot, though. When stills are used to judge image characteristics of a
And the best stills in the world plus the disc itself are useless if you don't know what to make out of what you see. If you have no (proper) reference to compare it to. You might see correctly what there is to see, but you don't know for sure what to make of it. And that affects everybody at times, no matter how experienced or well informed you are, or the opposite of it. :)
A very helpul post, it has factual information and common sense. I couldn´t agree more.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Virgoan said:
Most of the screen caps I see on these forums do not remotely compare to the images I see when I play the discs. Most look as though they've been filtered. They aren't as bright and sharp as the images I see when I watch the BD.
Sure, there are the occasional screen caps that look comparable. But how do you decide which screen caps are accurate representations and which are not? In my experience, most of the screen caps do not reflect the quality of the image I will see when I watch the BD.
In this case if one wanted to find out why that is one has to go digging and search for the reason(s). To really be sure you need to know how to do stills yourself. You can use test discs with well defined test patterns that will quickly show you if somewhere some sharpening is applied, or some noise processing. If the colour bars look right on the stills or not. If there is a difference between the stills and playing the film itself on the computer you do the stills on. And how it compares to what you see on your TV or projector. All these devices usually have dozens of parameters and options you can activate or deactivate or change the amount of processing that is done. And without calibrating your devices to follow the established standards (colour, contrast, gamma, gray scale, brightness, black level, white level) all bets are off. You can't say if the stills are wrong or your display chain is at fault (or both), when they don't match, without going into the details, unfortunately.
It helps to know that someone doing stills for the public is reliable and there is no need to recheck every time this person publishes some stills. But you can never be 100% sure without checking yourself. Software players get upgraded all the time, and video card drivers etc. Bugs happen, undocumented features happen, default values change...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
Not really. It's not as simple as that. Basically there is the digital image data on the Blu Ray and there is a rendering and display chain that shows you this data, whether you watch it on a PC monitor, a portable Blu Ray player with a built in screen, a TV set or a projector. The image data is always the same, the rendering and display chain can vary a lot, though. When stills are used to judge image characteristics of a transfer put on a Blu Ray then 2 things are required from the technical side to allow this. The stills must be created correctly so the actual data on the disc is in the stills. The stills must be watched on the display without unwanted modifications by the rendering and the display.
Correctly done stills are identical to what is on the disc except that
- the compressed data has been decompressed following the proper standards for the compression codec
- the 8 bit YCbCr 4:2:0 data is converted to 8 bit RGB 4:4:4
- no further processing is applied to the data (except converting it to a standard image format such as jpeg etc. which may involve lossy compression and could visibly degrade image fidelity, which has to be avoided)
Given that, the stills are a sound basis for judging the image characteristics of the transfer for the individual frames the stills cover.
When the stills are watched what you will see depends on how you watch them. Which display device? How is it calibrated? What colour gamut does it have? What is the pixel count? What colour depth can it handle? What kind of processing does the display apply on the data it is sent? What kind of processing does the software or hardware apply to the data in the stills before sending it to the display?
So if the goal is to see what is on the disc in the intended way then the rendering and display chain must
- use the HD colour gamut (Rec.709) and suitable gamma (usually 2.2 or somewhat higher)
- use the proper video data range (video versus PC range)
- do no resampling of the stills and use 1:1 pixel mapping instead
- not apply any kind of sharpening, noise filtering or other digital processing
- not modify gama, black level, white level, clip or crush image data
If that is given then it does not matter if you watch it on a computer monitor, on a TV set or project it on a screen. It will look very much the same given the same viewing conditions (viewing distance, room ambient light etc.) as long as the capabilities of the displays are about the same concerning brightness, contrast and absolute black level.
In the real world there will always be differences from small to quite large even with properly done stills. The fault does not lie with the stills, it lies with the different rendering and display chains. And it is relevant or irrelevant depending on what you want to find out using stills. If you want to judge colour fidelity of a transfer the best stills are useless if your display is calibrated to another colour gamut than Rec. 709 (and so is the disc itself played at 24 fps). If you want to judge the amount of digital sharpening on the other hand stills can clearly show you if any was applied which left behind typical artifacts as long as you know your rendering chain does not add additional processing. If you want to know if there is fine detail on the transfer (grain or real world detail) again the stills will tell, if your chain is "transparent¨. If you want to know if there is excessive digital grain removal the stills will tell you if you are familiar with signs of such processing. If you want to know if there is aliasing the stills will tell you. If you are interested in blown out highlights and crushed blacks the stills will tell you. If you want to check for obvious compression issues like blocking the stills will tell you (only for the few frames covered, of course).
And then there are things even the best stills will not tell you. You have to watch the disc to see them. Such things as
- what's going on in all the shots the stills are not covering? (Usually transfers are fairly consistent, though, although the used film elements might not be)
- density fluctuations (a dynamic phenomenon not covered with a static approach)
- compression noise
- unnatural temporal grain behaviour due to grain processing (a dynamic phenomenon not covered with a static approach)
- image stability issues
- overall amount of random dirt/speckles/scratches etc.
- of course all aspects concerning the soundtrack(s)
A very good post.
With virtually every Blu-Ray player supporting playback of JPEG files via USB stick I suggest for those interested in caps and their usefullness to take a USB stick with caps to the Blu-Ray player and to compare it with ideally the same frame on ones Blu-Ray player. If the cap looks very similar to the paused Blu-ray one has found a trustable source of caps :) There is a rival site with a huge number of caps and I found them to be pretty good for my needs, they have the advantage of a huge database and of covering most new releases.
In my experience most differences between screen caps and what people see on screen are due to:
- watching on the computer monitor vs seeing it on a projector/TV with all implications that come with it (relative viewing distance, absolute size, settings, calibration etc.)
- seeing things in motion vs seeing a still
Both differences do not come into play in the above scenario.
Of course the caveats mentioned in your post still apply, especially being able to put things into perspective is something that seems very difficult for many.
And to add to the previous argument of just buying the disc: I have a strong aversion against paying for discs that are below a certain quality threshold as I prefer to support worthier efforts of which there are many these days.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
OliverK said:
- watching on the computer monitor vs seeing it on a projector/TV with all implications that come with it (relative viewing distance, absolute size, settings, calibration etc.)
This is the real catch, isn't it? How many screenshot advocates actually look at those screenshots on the same (presumably) calibrated display that they watch their movies, vs. those that look at the screenshots on some Dynex LCD monitor with a 100:1 contrast ratio that they picked up at Costco for $35?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks