What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Funny Face -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, I should have said as well known then,.Point taken. But the fact that she made most of her movies in Hollywood doesn't mean she was better known in the States than overseas, as I'm sure you would agree. Film is international after all. And she was a definitive international super-star.
I guess I was over-reacting (as I sometimes do -- something to do with age I guess) to OliverK's suggestion that "over here in Europe she is still pretty much unknown" which is of course an absurd suggestion. Unless we're talking about the Balkans. But in Britain, in France, in Italy and most definitely in Belgium she is every bit as famous still as she ever was in the US.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I feel that as a movie star, her appeal and fame were universal, I always felt that her humanitarian efforts were more well known outside of the U.S.
At least, that is my impression.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
David Weicker said:
While I feel that as a movie star, her appeal and fame were universal, I always felt that her humanitarian efforts were more well known outside of the U.S.At least, that is my impression.
I agree with you about Audrey's universal appeal and fame. Many people here in the US are aware of her Presidential Medal of Freedom Award given to her by George Bush Senior. And as the Goodwill Ambassador to UNICEF she made many visits to Africa, Turkey, Ethiopia to aid the children,babies and the elderly. I think Audrey can claim popularity in Europe. America, Asia and all over the world. She will never be forgotten.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Audrey's obituary made me actually burst into tears because, not only did I love her work as an actress, but because she made the latter part of her life more meaningful through her humanitarian work. Her life was not wasted on frivolities. She made a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks