What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fritz Lang's M (Import) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
With the dollar close to being on par with the Euro, I was able to order it today for $20.48 including shipping to the U.S.

Incidentally, the Joseph Losey remake of M (1951) aired on TCM on New Year's Day after years of rights limbo.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Richard Gallagher said:
With the dollar close to being on par with the Euro, I was able to order it today for $20.48 including shipping to the U.S.

Wow, you practically stole it at that price! Well done! This is still one of the best BD's I've ever purchased.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm envious of these low prices! I paid almost $40 for it back in 2012, but it's worth every penny. Still, that $20 pricetag is insane! Great score, guys!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
My copy arrived from amazon.de today. Everything about it is stunning, from the packaging to the picture quality.

Is there any reason to hang on to my Criterion Blu-ray? It's still sealed, so I may be able to sell it for about what I paid for the import.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hi, Richard. It's funny. I just received the German Universum Blu ray edition of M as well. The one extra on the Criterion Blu Ray that I find irreplaceable, is a beat-up but watchable copy of the UK edition of M in which Peter Lorre speaks English for the first time. I find his speech before the tribunal absolutely mesmerizing, in a way.even more powerful in English, as it is not his native tongue.

My German isn't perfect, but I scanned the extras listed on the back of the box, and that particular version doesn't seem to be in this Universum set.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Isn't that UK English version on the MoC release, too?

(Running in to check my copy...)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This isn't MOC. It's the German Universum. I don't think it's there, although I could be mistaken as my German isn't 100%, and I'm happy to be corrected. haven't gotten around to watching it yet, as THE WRONG MAN appeared at the same time. I started checking the disc, and got sucked into watching the whole thing. WOW! The more filmic they can make these discs, the more one becomes involved in the magic, or if you like, the THERENESS of the image, and one realizes, as least with a director on the level of Hitchcock, that even his so-called lesser entries, that didn't look so hot on DVD, are utter brilliant masterpieces...well, at least THE WRONG MAN is.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The whole English version of the film is not on the German disc. Only the speech Mark mentioned is in English as in French as well on it.
It's embedded in the featurette "Um die Welt in 80 Jahren" (Comparisons of the different versions).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I know it's not on the Universum. I'm just pointing out that both the Criterion and the MoC have it.

MoC's blurb: "The original 1932 British release version of M, presented in its entirety, recently rediscovered after 70 years, featuring different actors, alternate takes and Peter Lorre’s first performance in English."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was fortunate to spend some time with the lead actor in 1961, after a chance meeting in the Fox parking lot, as he attempted to enter his car, someone having parked just a bit too close.

I'm curious Mr. Harris, did you have your driver's license yet or were you just seizing the day?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The whole English version of the film is not on the German disc. Only the speech Mark mentioned is in English as in French as well on it.
It's embedded in the featurette "Um die Welt in 80 Jahren" (Comparisons of the different versions).
Ah, well in that case, Richard, you can sell the Criterion!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
While the Criterion Blu-ray remains easily accessible, beautiful, and still highly recommended, those who desire to get as close as possible to the original are advised to import this very special Universum release.
[...]
I have just experienced my most ultimate of blind buys; not due to the film of “M” per se, but for my foray and visual gambles into the Black Forest of Amazon icons and formatting, as seen on their ordering site in Germany, as I know not their language.

My purchase has the artwork cover of an open-palmed hand. So, fingers crossed for my $43.69 and the correct capturing of Universum’s “M”.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have just experienced my most ultimate of blind buys; not due to the film of “M” per se, but for my foray and visual gambles into the Black Forest of Amazon icons and formatting, as seen on their ordering site in Germany, as I know not their
language.

Fingers crossed for my $43.69 and the safe arrival Universum’s “M”.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Amazon Germany has an English option just in case next time you don't want to be quite so blind -- upper right next to the Hello, xxxx, just click the Flag and change to you language of choice
Or if you use Chrome Browser -- right click and you can translate any page that doesn't get the message

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have just experienced my most ultimate of blind buys; not due to the film of “M” per se, but for my foray and visual gambles into the Black Forest of Amazon icons and formatting, as seen on their ordering site in Germany, as I know not their language.

Fingers crossed for my $43.69 and the safe arrival Universum’s “M”.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Next time, just click on the German flag icon in the Amazon header bar, then select English. Viola!

1605293164817.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have just experienced my most ultimate of blind buys; ..., as seen on their ordering site in Germany, as I know not their language.

.... So, fingers crossed for my $43.69 and the correct capturing of Universum’s “M”.:thumbs-up-smiley:

I've ordered many times from Amazon UK, France, and Germany. Only had one problem - a book that never arrived from the UK. They sent a replacement immediately. You can uncross your fingers. Oh and the disc is great also!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My Universum copy of “M” has finally arrived; therefore I am sending my thanks for this review, thread and navigational helps from members over the German Amazon prompts. Well done.

And speaking of Fritz Lang and preferferrd BD transfers, has anyone purchased the German disc of The Testament of Dr. Mabuse?

Eureka offers this title, as well; but I have yet to learn which is the better of the two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks