What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fritz Lang's M (Import) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
tele1962 said:
Can anyone confirm that the German release is the same print used for the MOC version?
It is not the same master at all. The German release has had further restoration to both the audio and video.

Several missing frames have been reinstated, eliminating jump-cuts that exist on both the Masters of Cinema and Criterion Collection editions (which are sourced from the same master, though CC bumped up the contrast a bit). The image has been stabilized, eliminating jitter and wobble seen on both the MOC and CC editions. The film has also been re-graded, and no longer features the blown-out highlights that were sometimes discernible on the MOC and CC editions. Greyscale is richer and fuller than on any previous edition.

As for the audio, the noise floor has been significantly reduced without using the filters that caused high- and low-end clipping on the MOC and CC editions, and the silent sections of the film are now truly 100% silent, as intended by Lang. The original 2001 preservation track, without the noise reduction (which was the original source for the MOC and CC audio, as well, prior to filtering), is also included, but for my money, the 2011 restoration track is the real winner, in terms of audio.

The German edition is, bar none, the definitive presentation of M on Blu-ray. The film has never looked nor sounded better. The difference between the previous Blu-ray releases and the Universum Blu-ray is a major one, in my estimation. The digibook packaging is also quite gorgeous, and the contents of the book are almost entirely comprised of images, which means one needn't be fluent in German in order to fully enjoy it. All in all, there is no comparison. The MOC and CC editions are still nice to own for the exclusive extras they include...but when it comes to the presentation of the film itself, the Universum edition is indispensible.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Hello everyone- this is my very first post on HTF...I made a video showcasing the beautiful packaging of the German 80th Anniversary Edition for those who may be interested. I had not read Robert Harris's wise words about the resto prior to making the video so apologies for not mentioning in the vid.
Just ordered mine and thanks for the Vid.PSAre you Dubliner from AVForums?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yeah, I've had this one on my mental list since I heard about it, back when Torsten Kaiser was posting about it here.

Time to act.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I get some amazing service from Amazon UK and France. Hope Germany plays along.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Matt Hough said:
Welcome to Home Theater Forum! I hope you will come back soon and visit us often!
Thanks Matt- I have been enjoying the website for quite a while and visit regularly- don't know why it took me so long to actually join. Love HTF :thumbsup:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
tele1962 said:
Good to talk to you again...I miss not being able to talk to you lads over there.Did you pay any Duty importing from Germany?
Thanks!- no import duty for me...but I'm in Ireland at the moment. Never paid duty within the EU. Item is quite cheap though so I imagine it would be under most countries import duty threshold- but don't quote me on that! :)

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Down to EUR 14,99 down from 17.98 last week ($26 and change). Ordered last night, total just under $23 shipped.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Damn! There goes my three bucks! :)

If I recall, though, back when that was first released it was actually kind of expensive. If I'm right, it's come way down over the past year or two.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DavidJ said:
I have no idea how I missed this release, but I've now rectified that.
Put me in the same camp. Not sure how this got passed me, but I have it coming now. Cannot wait to see this restoration.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Managed to sell my Criterion for a good price to make this replacement free ... but I did pay extra to buy the Blu ray of Altman's 'Pret a Porter' in the same shipment!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm keeping all three -- Criterion, MoC, and this one which is one beautiful digibook package.

All I've had time to do so far is check out the picture, and it is stunning.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I have the Criterion Blu Ray release but have just ordered this release from Amazon Germany - looking forward to it! Also I promise that this is the last time that I shall upgrade this title - honest :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks