What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fright Night (1985) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I thought I had posted a fairly detailed comment, but apparently it has disappeared into the ether... This looked OUTSTANDING on my FP setup. I was smiling ear-to-ear throughout the running time. The opening shot - which, if memory serves, is a long tracking shot with optical(s) involved - was a revelation. If you're a fan of the film, I believe you will be very pleased. This should be sold out by now. And no, I have no affiliation with HTF or Screen Archives/TT.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Mine arrived today. Took 6 days due to the xmas post but its here safe & sound. Big thanks to the good people @ Twlight Time/Sony who made this happen. Sony could have region locked it & said no overseas sales but its thankfully region free. Fright Night2 next halloween please :) You could even do a Fright Night1 & 2 release on a single BD !!!! Its without a doubt one of the best looking low budget horror movies of the 1980's. I should imagine it probably looks better on Bluray than it ever did at the cinema. The picture is 99.999999% perfect. I noticed 1 very minor blue/green artifact in the first 30 mins or so which lasted the blink of an eye. Its a hair on the film which produced this circular blue/green artifact but I doubt most people will ever notice it & even if they did the picture is outstanding overall. Colour is spot-on, film grain is light but detailed where it needs to be & you can now make out the pattern on so many props/clothes it becomes a new movie even if you have seen this so many times there are plenty of interesting discoveries to be made from just having a detailed film image to watch. The very minor picture softness in places is due to the effects work of the era so its intentional & The Rocketeer looks much softer & its 6 years newer so...... Audio is just fine the dialog is very legible & the mixing is just perfect. It was never ever a sound effects heavy film but the Bluray does a perfect job of giving you enough atmosphere to be sucked into the movie. If your a fan of 1980s horror movies then this is one of the very best & the bluray does an excellent job of capturing that experience. I hope Screen Archives can secure the licence to do Fright Night2 if Sony are not going to be releasing so many catalog titles anymore. I noticed that Pal Joey is coming in Feb 2012 from Twlight Time & that is going to be another delightful experience if Sony are doing the transfer :D

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Something to consider for those who have not bought it yet
December 16 - Twilight Time Special Offer! Buy $100 or more (pre-shipping) from the Twilight Time catalog and get an autographed copy of Fright Night on Blu-ray for FREE! Signed by writer-director Tom Holland--only 100 available! Put the request “Add FREE autographed Fright Night” in the notes field on the final page of checkout. 100 will go fast--don’t delay!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I was pleasantly surprised that there were 2 audio commentaries recorded for Fright Night that you can find at: iconsoffright.com.

Just tried to download the two MP3s of those commentaries, but all each link did was open up another tab and start playing the thing in real time. For now, I just want to download the files -- or am I misunderstanding what they're offering?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Less than 500 copies remaining now according to an email I received advertising other upcoming BD's From Twlight Time so if your on the fence about this better make that jump or prepare to wait for a repress which will be uncertain as Sony will no doubt rethink this strategy if 3000 @ a higher price point can sell out so quickly & you can imagine a lot of those sales are from US only what about the 42% rise BD got in EU this year!!! I guarantee there would be a healthy interest in this movie especially here in the UK. Considering the lack of advertising the almost sold out already tells you a lot about how much fans are prepared to pay for decent catalog releases lets hope the studios take note & give us a much stronger 2012 line-up of extras free BD's hopefully @ a slightly lower price point though which should be possible if you can get these pressed & into stores even supermarkets in the UK carry a lot of movies now for casual buyers if Fright Night was available that way I could take an educated guess Fright Night would sell up to 10K alone including HMV/Amazon for UK only so obviously much higher overall with other EU countries ;) The studios are sitting on a goldmine of catalog titles which only need to be transferred to BD with minimal DNR & zero extras then priced at the right level people will buy the right titles just please give us the chance to do so more often ;)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Paul_Warren said:
Less than 500 copies remaining now according to an email I received advertising other upcoming BD's From Twlight Time so if your on the fence about this better make that jump or prepare to wait for a repress which will be uncertain as Sony will no doubt rethink this strategy if 3000 @ a higher price point can sell out so quickly & you can imagine a lot of those sales are from US only what about the 42% rise BD got in EU this year!!! I guarantee there would be a healthy interest in this movie especially here in the UK. Considering the lack of advertising the almost sold out already tells you a lot about how much fans are prepared to pay for decent catalog releases lets hope the studios take note & give us a much stronger 2012 line-up of extras free BD's hopefully @ a slightly lower price point though which should be possible if you can get these pressed & into stores even supermarkets in the UK carry a lot of movies now for casual buyers if Fright Night was available that way I could take an educated guess Fright Night would sell up to 10K alone including HMV/Amazon for UK only so obviously much higher overall with other EU countries ;) The studios are sitting on a goldmine of catalog titles which only need to be transferred to BD with minimal DNR & zero extras then priced at the right level people will buy the right titles just please give us the chance to do so more often ;)
Well let's not say to the studios "We don't want extras at all!" I mean if material exists, I would prefer them to be included in a release especially if prices are considered "premium."

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got it, thanks! (I tried that originally, but was misinterpreting the "save link as..." which I guess is Windows terminology.)

Bob Jones

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Jones
It sounds like someone on this thread is very definitely trying to 'drive a stake in this vampire'. :( I received the blu-ray the other day and I'm extremely happy with the fantastic transfer of this classic 80's horror flick. Worth every cent IMHO.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Paul_Warren said:
Less than 500 copies remaining now according to an email I received advertising other upcoming BD's From Twlight Time so if your on the fence about this better make that jump or prepare to wait for a repress which will be uncertain as Sony will no doubt rethink this strategy if 3000 @ a higher price point can sell out so quickly & you can imagine a lot of those sales are from US only what about the 42% rise BD got in EU this year!!!
Looks like this may indeed be Twilight Time's first sell-out. In regards to a question regarding the 500 unit limit on their Facebook page, TT responded:
Well, I think it's substantially less than that now...would imagine the title will be sold out by next week.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I think it's risky waiting for a Sony re-press on this title if it sells out. I would be surprised if Twilight Time's deal did not include a window of exclusivity for these titles, regardless of how quickly they may sell.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This is good news on the catalog title front - an 80's horror flick selling out before older classics. Fright Night does have a substantial cult audience but, still, it's Fright Night. Now, how about Christine? Candyman, anyone?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
elDomenechHTF said:
This is good news on the catalog title front - an 80's horror flick selling out before older classics. Fright Night does have a substantial cult audience but, still, it's Fright Night. Now, how about Christine? Candyman, anyone?
"Christine" is a John Carpenter movie from a Stephen King adaptation. That has a built-in audience and I do not see Sony not putting that one out themselves. BTW, everyone? Don't laugh but.....I placed an order for the "Fright Night" BD this weekend.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
CHRISTINE didn't exactly burn rubber at the boxoffice, but it doesn't seem like TT's bag (not that I'm sure what TT's bag is). CANDYMAN, however, does have that Philip Glass score to isolate...

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Bob Cashill said:
CHRISTINE didn't exactly burn rubber at the boxoffice, but it doesn't seem like TT's bag (not that I'm sure what TT's bag is). CANDYMAN, however, does have that Philip Glass score to isolate...
Carpenter's "The Thing" was a massive bomb during it's theatrical release too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Michael Allred said:
"Christine" is a John Carpenter movie from a Stephen King adaptation. That has a built-in audience and I do not see Sony not putting that one out themselves. BTW, everyone? Don't laugh but.....I placed an order for the "Fright Night" BD this weekend.
Good for you Michael. Catalog titles that look(and sound) this good should not be passed by. As for the price? After watching it a couple times, I can assure you I would have paid twice as much for it if need be.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Bryan^H said:
I was pleasantly surprised that there were 2 audio commentaries recorded for Fright Night that you can find at: iconsoffright.com. Very neat indeed. So while that was a plus, the four page booklet that comes with the Blu-Ray was a waste of paper. I could care less about the sexual content of the film. The author is certainly intrigued by it. I would have preferred something along the lines of the popularity of the film in 85 opening the doors for a slew of other vampire flicks in the next few years. Oh well, it's still a fantastic disc.
This is very cool! Are there any other audio commentaries for movies that are not offered on the disc? ( not including rifftrax, etc)

movieman620

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Dunn
I've never responded to one of these forums until now. I ALWAYS enjoy what RAH has to say. Especially about a movie appearing "Film Like". To me that is one of the most important aspects of home viewing. That a movie looks like a "Film". We wanted a larger display and had limited funds so we went w/a Mitsu 73" DLP display. Boy, does that display look GREAT! Very sharp but probably not razor sharp like most flat panels. I have not been impressed w/most flat panel displays due to the fact that they usually appear to have a more "processed" less film-like picture. I'm sure that the $4000.00 and up flat panels look good but most of us cannot afford that. When we view our blu-rays we are almost always impressed w/the presentation. unless it's a really bad master/transfer. Thanks to RAH for reviewing blu-rays in a manner that is more well rounded concerning a presentation than a lot of other reviewers. And members. let's try to always respect other posts and the founders of the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks