What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fright Night (1985) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
moonchild69 said:
Ronald, how can your review on Fright Night be unbiased when you and robert gave perfect ratings on it's picture quality. I agree that the video quality is very good but not without obvious flaws. Blu-ray.com has an open minded review that stresses upon film quality issues with some accuracy i must say. This release of Fright Night is by no means an overall great quality release that warrants a $35 premium price tag. The audio and lack of extras pretty much stresses that case wholeheartedly. What i really bought into is a little but better than an average release. How can a successfully standard back catalog studio title be so much when any consumer can buy A-listed blu-ray movies everyday from $15 to $25 with even better quality performances.
I'll bite: What are the "obvious" flaws. I'm genuinely interested. Please list them so I can look for them. And just for reference, here is what my pal Jeffrey Kauffman says about the transfer: Fright Night was filmed on a fairly paltry budget and the bulk of this film exhibits signs of less than superior film stock and some less than ideal filming conditions. Despite what was evidently a new high-res scan for this release, the overall image here is a bit on the soft side, though there appears to have been no noise reduction and while soft, the image retains a suitably mid-80's cinematic look. Colors are acceptable, though never really brash. There is some occasional crush in the dark scenes, notably the finale in the cellar of Jerry's home. But close-ups reveal above average levels of fine detail, and this is certainly a sharper presentation than the film has ever had before. The opticals, including some of the special effects, contribute to some of the softness on display, as might be expected. What he is saying in no uncertain terms is the film looks like it's supposed to - low-budget (it was), 80s film stock (it was), less than ideal filming conditions (quick, down and dirty) - no noise reduction (good), the image retains a suitably mid-80s cinematic look (check). Colors are acceptable, though never really brash (check - they never were brash). Don't agree about the "crush" because I don't see anything that isn't a part of the look of the film and that always was - close-ups reveal above average levels of fine detail (check), and this is certainly a sharper presentation than the film has ever had before (double check). And here is the most important sentence: The opticals, including some of the special effects (I would adjust that to say ALL of the special effects, since they're all multi-pass old-fashioned opticals), contribute to some of the softness on display, as might be expected (BINGO). So, what would you have? The film looks like the film is supposed to look. And that makes it a perfect transfer - that is what a transfer is supposed to do. I would posit that a transfer that doesn't do that is a failure. It's not going to look like a film made today. It's not going to look like a film made on stock from the late 1950s and early to mid-1960s. It's going to look exactly like a low-budget 1980s film - to have it look like anything else would be false and bad. So how is this an average release, Moonchild? What should they have done differently? Pumped up the sharpness artificially? Boosted the colors so they resemble day-glo op-art colors that were never there? So, please list for me, if you will, the "obvious" flaws that you see.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

There is no overreaction. This situation involves two separate

threads concerning this release that you have been actively

involved with.

You have been repeatedly telling people over and over again

not to consider buying this Blu-ray release because it will be

released again at a lower price point. You have no basis for

this information. I don't mind such an opinion being posted, but
when it is being done over and over again it becomes an
agenda.

Fact of the matter is that you don't own the disc. You don't

know what it looks like. Yet, you introduced a link to a review

on another site and immediately started pointing fingers that

ours was not accurate. Additionally, in my review thread, you

made a point of saying that the competing site's review is not

full of hyperbole, strongly suggesting mine was. Whether you

meant it or not is exactly the way it came across.

You then bring into suggestion that since Twilight Time

is an Insider here that we are possibly providing glowing

reviews for the benefit of selling discs.

Meanwhile, there are already members who actually own

and have seen the disc that are chiming in and saying
that it looks great.

I am personally looking forward to hearing more reviews

from people who have bought the disc and compare it to

the original DVD release. I think, without question, there is

a remarkable improvement to be seen.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Michael,

[snip]

Meanwhile, there are already members who actually own

and have seen the disc that are chiming in and saying
that it looks great.

I am personally looking forward to hearing more reviews

from people who have bought the disc and compare it to

the original DVD release. I think, without question, there is

a remarkable improvement to be seen.

Ron,

Permit me to make a single point re: your final comment above.

I know that many people reference high definition media as to how it compares with what came before it in standard definition, and that's fine.

But I don't believe it tells the real story.

I'm not one who prays at that altar.

For me a Blu-ray either represents the look and textures of the original film, as projected, or it does not.

I don't care that it may be sharper or more highly resolved, if it doesn't pass that most important test.

Fright Night does, in spades, and is actually a bit more highly resolved than release prints, as what we're seeing is two generations

up in the post-production pipeline. Once you've seen enough work, it can generally be culled from the image, what facility

may have done the work, and who may have been giving orders. This one, from Columbia, has Mr. Crisp's prints all over it.

And that is a very good thing.

RAH

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I got this in the mail today, and just finished watching it. Wow, it looks great! I cannot comment on the audio. My wife was asleep, so i used the TV speakers. But the picture is pure 80s joy. Time to retire the 10 year old DVD at last! I AM VERY HAPPY. Thanks to Sony, and Twilight Time for a fine release. It was worth the money. I watched this on a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD, played on a Sony 1000ES Blu-ray player.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I'm not trying to stir up anything, but I've only been coming here a few months and after reading some of the reviews here, I'm totally convinced that HTF's reviews are more accurate 95% of the time than blu-ray.com's reviews. Truthfully, blu-ray.com is actually about 4th behind HTF, HighDefDigest and DVDBeaver. To my mind, they lost any credibility when one of their reviewers(I know his name but I will not name him out of decency) more or less stated that The Blues Brothers having a lossy audio track was perfectly acceptable because the track was really good. I don't agree with that and I will never agree that lossy audio is acceptable on a blu ray disc. Especially for a film that is so totally driven by audio like The Blues Brothers and all other musicals are.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Once you've seen enough work, it can generally be culled from the image, what facility may have done the work, and who may have been giving orders. This one, from Columbia, has Mr. Crisp's prints all over it. And that is a very good thing. RAH
I don't know who Mr. Crisp is, but I would like to shake his hand and thank him. Fright Night has always been one of my favorite 80's films. To see such a fantastic image is a game changer. I have now watched it twice on Blu-Ray, and I feel like I'm discovering it for the first time. The Makeup, and creature effects are seen like never before. Everything from the superb background props, and set design to the makeup on all the actors is as clear as crystal...almost to a fault. I would very much like to discuss this transfer with other fans. This my friends is what Blu-Ray was intended for.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Fright Night, like many films shot in the 1980's, used a good deal of filtration on the camera lens. This film doesn't look soft because it had a low budget, it looks soft because thats the way it was intended to look. In addition, Fright Night reportedly had a budget of about $9 million, which while it isn't huge, surely isn't a low budget by the standard of 1985. That would have been considered a medium budget film at the time. Doug

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Nobody's mentioned EE or any other kind of sharpening commonly used on catalog titles so I'm assuming none of those "tools" were used here. Just out of curiosity, does Screen Archives send out shipping confirmation emails? I haven't gotten one and I preordered a copy during the first days it went online. While I don't think this title will sell out, despite the glowing reviews, I still hate to be in the dark as to whether or not there's a copy coming my way.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
elDomenechHTF said:
Nobody's mentioned EE or any other kind of sharpening commonly used on catalog titles so I'm assuming none of those "tools" were used here. Just out of curiosity, does Screen Archives send out shipping confirmation emails? I haven't gotten one and I preordered a copy during the first days it went online. While I don't think this title will sell out, despite the glowing reviews, I still hate to be in the dark as to whether or not there's a copy coming my way.
No, based on my viewing of the disc, the "hyperbole" of Mssrs. Harris and Epstein :D, and the Blu-ray.com review that critiques the "soft" appearance of the film, I'd say very minimal to no sharpening tools were used in this transfer. You won't be disappointed. Yes, SAE does send shipping confirmation emails. They are shipping a ton of Blu-rays out now, as you can imagine, but they'll get to you.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I ordered Fright Night and Rapture on 12/7 and have not gotten a shipping confirmation. However, I just went to the web site and viewed the order, and there's a tracking number that shows these were shipped on the 9th and it looks like they could be here tomorrow.

(Yay!!)

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Chas in CT said:
I ordered Fright Night and Rapture on 12/7 and have not gotten a shipping confirmation. However, I just went to the web site and viewed the order, and there's a tracking number that shows these were shipped on the 9th and it looks like they could be here tomorrow.

(Yay!!)
Maybe I received your notice. They sent me 3 emails in the space of two hours notifying me that my order had shipped.:)

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas Monce said:
Fright Night, like many films shot in the 1980's, used a good deal of filtration on the camera lens. This film doesn't look soft because it had a low budget, it looks soft because thats the way it was intended to look. In addition, Fright Night reportedly had a budget of about $9 million, which while it isn't huge, surely isn't a low budget by the standard of 1985. That would have been considered a medium budget film at the time. Doug
For comparison, all the James Bond films in the 1980's cost $30-$35 million. Highlander (1986) cost $16 million, RoboCop (1987) $13 million. That puts Fright Night, at $9 million, in the low budget catagory as defined by that decade. Also, the movie does not look filtered to me. I think it looks soft due to the film stock and anamorphic lenses used. However, the fine detail is strong enough that I clearly make out textures on skin, clothing and objects. Some thoughts on the audio: Fright Night has never sounded all that great. Considering the film's budget and the decade it was released in, we should be thankful the movie wasn't mixed in mono as many movies were back then. Compared to the DVD, the lossless 5.1 re-mix is a revelation. The DVD was flat sounding, had NO bass and the surrounds were mostly dead for the entire running time. The blu-ray has a wider soundfield, decent bass, the surrounds are louder and active pretty frequently (even if only for the score/songs). Unless a top to bottom re-mix is done, this is as good as FN is ever going to sound.
elDomenechHTF said:
First, I can detect no EE or DNR on FN so I doubt either was used. Second, I got a shipping e-mail and tracking # so I'd wager others did too. Remember that the official release date is this Tuesday. Some of us just got lucky getting it early. Yours will come in time. :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Tom M said:
For comparison, all the James Bond films in the 1980's cost $30-$35 million. Highlander (1986) cost $16 million, RoboCop (1987) $13 million. That puts Fright Night, at $9 million, in the low budget catagory as defined by that decade. Also, the movie does not look filtered to me. I think it looks soft due to the film stock and anamorphic lenses used. However, the fine detail is strong enough that I clearly make out textures on skin, clothing and objects. Some thoughts on the audio: Fright Night has never sounded all that great. Considering the film's budget and the decade it was released in, we should be thankful the movie wasn't mixed in mono as many movies were back then. Compared to the DVD, the lossless 5.1 re-mix is a revelation. The DVD was flat sounding, had NO bass and the surrounds were mostly dead for the entire running time. The blu-ray has a wider soundfield, decent bass, the surrounds are louder and active pretty frequently (even if only for the score/songs). Unless a top to bottom re-mix is done, this is as good as FN is ever going to sound. First, I can detect no EE or DNR on FN so I doubt either was used. Second, I got a shipping e-mail and tracking # so I'd wager others did too. Remember that the official release date is this Tuesday. Some of us just got lucky getting it early. Yours will come in time. :)
I would disagree. Low budget films of the time were films like The Terminator at around $5 million, Night of the Comet, around 3 million, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a budget of $6 million. Robo Cop and Highlander were BIG budget films, and the Bond films were about the top of the heap when it comes to the money spent on them. Around $10 million was considered average in the mid 1980s. Even Poltergeist and E.T., only 3 years before, had budgets around $10 million. Compare it with the other big horror film of that year, A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 which cost $2 million. However regardless of if it was a medium budget or low, $9 million should have NO effect on the quality of the cinematography. The film was photographed with Panavision cameras and lenses (the best equipment available at the time) its film was processed by Metrocolor, and it was photographed by Jan Kiesser, and experienced professional DP. And the visual effects were done by BOSS film effects, Richard Edlund's company. This notion that because a film has a small budget is going to mean that it won't look as good as a big budget films is not necessarily the case. Doug

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received my copy in Friday's mail and watched it on Saturday evening. While I'm still not happy with the price I had to pay for this title, I have to agree with Ron and Robert - Fright Night looks and sounds WONDERFUL on this Blu-ray! Very, very well done. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with the audio/video presentation on this Blu.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Hal F /t/316846/a-few-words-about-fright-night-1985-in-blu-ray/30#post_3878443

Well, this is bizarre. I just received my notice...with ship date given as TODAY but with the same tracking number that reports shipment on the 9th and delivery expected today.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Their notices are sometimes days late. This same thing happened last month with The Mysterious Island, when I had to go to my account to find out the item had been shipped and got the shipping notification the day it arrived.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Didn't get Fright Night (1985) on DVD (and also had no interest in seeing the recent remake), and was hoping someday that a spruced up DVD with plenty of extras would be released. May get this Blu-ray release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got mine in the mail today. Those hoping for a Fright Night magnet will be very pleased!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised that there were 2 audio commentaries recorded for Fright Night that you can find at: iconsoffright.com. Very neat indeed. So while that was a plus, the four page booklet that comes with the Blu-Ray was a waste of paper. I could care less about the sexual content of the film. The author is certainly intrigued by it. I would have preferred something along the lines of the popularity of the film in 85 opening the doors for a slew of other vampire flicks in the next few years. Oh well, it's still a fantastic disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks