What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Field of Dreams -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I originally commented on Universal's Field of Dreams back in December of 2006, as the second to final HD release from the studio. Atonement, which is overdue on Blu-ray was the final example of the format from the studio, and deserves a place on Blu-ray.

I mention Atonement, not because Universal is lagging behind in re-issuing their HD product on Blu-ray -- they're not -- but because it's a personal HD favorite. On the contrary, Universal has generally been taking advantage of the extra space available to them on the Blu-ray BD-50s, and allowing the films more bandwidth for incrementally higher quality.

Field of Dreams looks very nice on Blu-ray, even as a (now) older master. One of the things that has changed in the intervening time is the means of harvesting an image, which means that a frame is now rock steady.

Regardless, Field of Dreams is still one of the wonderful fantasy films that tells its story well, and makes the viewer a part of a wonderful dream.

For those who have not been exposed to Mr. Robinson's film, I suggest that you do so. While not specifically a "baseball" film, it stands beautifully as a set-piece next to films like The Natural, which also needs to appear on Blu-ray, hopefully with branching to allow both the 134 and 144 minute extended cut.

Below are my original notes on the HD:

Universal's new HD DVD of Phil Robinson's Field of Dreams is everything that one could ask of a piece of home entertainment software.

This extremely literate film with a unique soul, captured on a tiny shiny disc is one of our cinematic treasures.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Cinema, captured perfectly for home video, with the look, feel and textures of film.

Field of Dreams is Extremely Highly Recommended.

RAH

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time so it's a no brainer that i'll pick this up. :emoji_thumbsup:

James Horner's music gives me chills in this film, just one of the most gentle, magical and emotional films ever made.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I never picked up the anniversary DVD so I must ask:

Is the 5.1 remix on the film a complete remix, or just upmixed from the original 2.0 - something a lot of older films have?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A 2.0 mix would have been a Dolby matrixed mix created from discreet channels. I would surmise that the 5.1 goes back to the original.

As far as "double-dipping" if one already owns the HD, my suggestion would be to wait in the hope that Universal would institute something akin to WB's HD to BD trade-in program.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I should have asked this earlier, are all of the bonus features from the anniversary dvd included? I just want to know if I need to hold onto the second disc in that set or not.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I had the HD DVD and I was not impressed with the image quality. A little frustrating to hear they did not create a new master.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

A review at DVDTALK says that the extras were all carried forward from the previous edition.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Don't bother...it's the same exact disc except for the DTS Master sound, which in this instance, with this movie, is indistinguishable from the DD+ track of the HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks