What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Everest -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

While I've never had the desire to try it, I can understand the challenge.

For sport, for excitement, to prove one's physical and mental worth, or just "because it's there..." climb the unclimbable.

Icelandic born filmmaker Baltasar Kormakur decided to take us there.

And in a way, harkening back to 2001, it's one of those "ultimate trips."

I've just screened Everest on a large screen uprezzed to 4k, and the the bottom line is that for two hours, I felt that I was very much along for the climb.

Much of that probably comes down to the authenticity of the film.  Shot on location for the first 16,000 feet, then moving to Italy for more action, the film transparently combines practical shots with effects, to tell the story following groups of climbers attacking Everest when a horrific storm hits.

Photographed with an Alexa and Red Epic Dragon, Everest exudes details and resolution which heighten the dangers and horrors awaiting.

Cinematographer Salvatore Totino, has had a busy year.  Three films released in 2015, two of them filled with effects - In the Heart of the Sea, Everest and Concussion.

From, at least to me, the new Universal 3D logo, throughout the two hours, Everest is an unyielding experience pitting humanity against nature, that jumps off the screen and adds a dynamism to the film.  

The post 3D is also some of the best that I've seen, and for those who have not added 3D, this may be a reason to do so.

A superb film, that tells the tale beautifully, and a requisite Blu-ray from Universal, that pulls out all the tech stops, inclusive of Dolby Atmos.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I actually got my bloomin' arse to the theater for it, where it was totally involving and rewarding in IMAX 3-D. It would have been involving and rewarding anyway, as it's a great story, a great film, and I'm a sucker for cozy armchair travel to the dangerous extremes of the earth. This one will be mine.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I bought the 3D (one of the few post-conversions I own), but I should think this will be one of Universal's UHD launch titles, along with (The Fast and the) Furious 7, Jurassic World and Minions.

Although I am surprised that Universal hasn't made any UHD title announcements as of yet.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will admit I bought this because it seemed the perfect "demo" disc to show off how awesome the home theater experience can be. It is an excellent disc for this purpose as you will pretty much feel the brutal cold and sense your home theater has become a low oxygen environment this has such a "you are there" feel. I admit too that I love this kind of man against nature film. One thing I will say people should know going in is that while there are some big names on this picture they play supporting roles in the film. This is very much an ensemble deal and some of the larger names do not have very much screen time. It is a good story but many people may be familiar with it and so you go in knowing the outcome. Just for the pure visceral experience the film provides...I was treated for frostbite after watching it...I would say you should give this one a spin. It is beautiful to look at and sounds fantastic as well.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just picked up the 3D version on your recommendation Mr. Harris. Thank you!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just completed viewing EVEREST this morning.

The studio did not send me a screener directly, so I opted not to do a full review. I do know one of our reviewers will be providing one shortly.

Of course, there is the words of Robert Harris that began this thread, and I must agree he is completely "spot on."

EVEREST takes 3D post conversion to new heights.

It was just a week ago that I wrote a praising review for THE WALK and how remarkable it looked in the format. However, after seeing EVEREST, the former movie was only whetting the appetite for something bigger and better.

EVEREST is all about depth, angles of photography and the placement of the camera. The "WOW" moments start from the opening frame and seemingly never let up until the end acknowledgements. There are so many moments that make you sit back and marvel at the picture before you which is crisp and detailed. When a blizzard is hammering down upon the climbers, it's amazing to see the layering of snow as it blows across the mountain side. The camera is constantly showing us amazing landscapes looking above base camp and then down from atop the summit. Watching it in 3D gives is absolutely jaw-dropping, and at times, completely dizzying.

This is a feature that immerses the viewer both visually and sonically. The Atmos soundtrack (downconverted to 7.1 on my system) is reference quality. First, there is the constant blowing of wind that emanates across the channels. I love the way that communicated dialogue between the climbers is thrown from the front to the rear channels, pending on their position in the frame. This is a completely engaging soundtrack with booming LFE activity that pounds the viewer during avalanches.

I have to say, we have a new winner in the post converted 3D realm. Nothing else I have seen to date comes as close to the level of visual excitement that EVEREST provides. It's a terrifying, majestic and powerful movie that brings all its finest elements into the home theater environment.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It also kind of reminds me of the disaster films of the 1970s in the way it collects a big name cast and then gives each of the big players a sort of melodramatic storyline that is revealed in bits and pieces as the running time plays out. While I was watching it I really thought they had put this together using that "Irwin Allen" formula. The big draw though is certainly the location photography.

Mr. Harris mentions Salvatore Totino and the three films he shot in 2015. Until he mentioned that I did not know it was the same DP on those films but if you have a look at all three of those they are all strikingly photographed films. I think Mr. Totino is doing some very nice work.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
What lingers most strongly with me after seeing EVEREST in 3D (it had left the IMAX) is that, as a film, it transcends film in being totally convincing.

I was with a friend who has trekked to one level higher than Everest base camp and she was convinced, and then we discovered that those sequences were made at Cinecitta. And when seeing the summit sequence, the later discovery that it was made on the 007 stage at Pinewood wasn't believable as the intense drama was presented with such complete credibility.

It's an astonishing film and, however impressive the technical aspect, needs to be seen for its portrayal of human suffering and endurance.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The (2D) Blu-ray arrived today, I'm really looking forward to seeing this. It's about time someone made a really good film about K2, there's no shortage of great (& tragic) stories.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Watched the 3D Blu-ray today (probably not the best choice while being snowed in by the blizzard), and while I found it incredibly well-made, I find it difficult to feel invested in people who find themselves in peril doing things they don't need to do.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll be posting a review later. I was tremendously impressed by the movie, by the 3D conversion and by the immersive sound.

This is a heck of a Blu-ray.

Not for the timid - you will feel like you've just spent two hours in the ice and snow.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Here's an interesting small glitch on the Forum.

When I posted I saw an extra i that I hadn't typed before a word (ifilm) but it wasn't visible on the edit page. And now I've seen it in someone else's post soon after mine.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
And when I put in ifilm as an illustration it added another i , as it probably will also do this time.

So the glitch is adding an i before an f.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Colin Jacobson said:
I did - I just have to look outside my window to see ice and snow, and it's all 3D! :D

Ha-Ha, Colin! Me, too! My snowblower died so a driveway full of snow 2' deep was just divine to shovel. :angry: More 3D than I could handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks