What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Erin Brockovich -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by RKR1970 /t/321413/a-few-words-about-erin-brockovich-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939555
Some filmmakers will review and sign off on the final compression of the Blu-ray. Spielberg is, or someone on his staff gives that approval before the disc is moved into replication.

Shame that person on his staff had an opticians appointment the morning before signing off on Jurassic Park.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321413/a-few-words-about-erin-brockovich-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939134

this is the guy who was unhappy because of a minor audio synching issue in one scene on Saving Private Ryan

The sync issue on Saving Private Ryan was for the duration of the feature, not just one scene.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/321413/a-few-words-about-erin-brockovich-in-blu-ray/60#post_3939558

The sync issue on Saving Private Ryan was for the duration of the feature, not just one scene.

The information i read was that it starts near the end of the film where Matt Damon and Hanks talk to each other among the ruins.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1247481/saving-private-ryan-audio-sync-issues

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=140284

The above seems to confirm this but once again i believe not every blu ray player had issues with it.

I had no issues with my Oppo but got a replacement disc, more likely i just didn't spot it but got the replacement anyways.

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
Jurassic Park is going out 3D next year, so we will see a new 2D BD (and 3D BD)in late 2013

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321413/a-few-words-about-erin-brockovich-in-blu-ray/60#post_3939559

The information i read was that it starts near the end of the film where Matt Damon and Hanks talk to each other among the ruins.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1247481/saving-private-ryan-audio-sync-issues

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=140284

The above seems to confirm this but once again i believe not every blu ray player had issues with it.

I had no issues with my Oppo but got a replacement disc, more likely i just didn't spot it but got the replacement anyways.

It's just most pronounced near the end. It gradually drifts further out of sync as the film goes on. Those with keen eyes/ears will notice the issue much earlier on the original disc. Some players/setups help in alleviating the issue, but it wasn't, strictly speaking, a compatibility problem.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/321413/a-few-words-about-erin-brockovich-in-blu-ray/60#post_3939848

Those with keen eyes/ears will notice the issue much earlier on the original disc. Some players/setups help in alleviating the issue, but it wasn't, strictly speaking, a compatibility problem.

I feel the same way about the edge enhancement on Jurassic Park, with that it's keen eyes and easier to spot than synch issues.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had forgotten the controversy over the Blu-ray transfer of Erin Brockovich. I purchased the HD stream of the movie ($5) since I hadn't ever upgraded my DVD, and I thought this afternoon while I was watching it that it wasn't a huge advance over my DVD. There were a couple of places where I might have thought it looked a bit "electronic," but I thought at the time maybe the stream being sent was slowing down a tad for it to look that way. Now, I see that it may have just been a faulty transfer from the get-go.

It's such an enjoyable movie that I didn't pay that much attention to the picture quality, but I did want to note my findings.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks