A Few Words About A few words about...™ El Dorado -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Just saw Hatari, El Dorado and Gunfight at the OK Corral this weekend at Sam's Club for $8.95ea, so not to hard on the wallet to
    upgrade.

2. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

Joshua Zyber
    I've read (though I don't have a source, sorry), that studios are required to windowbox or squeeze opening titles if the text extends to the far edges, past the "TV safe" zone for overscan cropping. This is mandated so that credited actors don't get their names cut off.

Considering that modern HDTVs don't have the same sort of overscan problems that old CRT sets did, this is a very antiquated rule that needs to be revised.

3. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    I saw this for the first time a few months ago on the HDNET movie channel and was impressed on how sharp the film was and it looked great to me...and a good movie too. Can't wait to see Criterion's blu-ray release of Hawk's Red River coming soon.

4. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    So, would it be safe to assume this looks like something shot on film rather than on digital media?
    ---------------

5. Cineman

Cineman Stunt Coordinator

David B.
    Well, as someone who has spent more time than I'd care to admit in whorehouses, I can assure everyone else that is one place you generally do not want a lot of light. However, never having been in one on the 4th of July as I recall, that might be the exception, assuming everyone in there, customers and staff alike, are wearing extra thick beer goggles on that particular holiday...

:blink: :D

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    El Dorado is good, but Rio Bravo is better.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Since the former is basically a remake of the latter, that's not surprising. :)

8. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    For me, El Dorado is the better of the two. It could be because I prefer Mitchum and Caan or maybe it depends on which one is viewed first. Having viewed El Dorado first it makes it seem like Rio Bravo is the remake.

JohnRa and John Hermes like this.
  9. verneaux

verneaux Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    I saw El Dorado first but I like Rio Bravo better. El Dorado treats the drunkeness of Mitchum as comedy (it's fun but I prefer Dean Martin's more realistic struggle).

10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Someone I know went on a police raid of strip clubs. The cops brought UV lights into the rooms used for private dances. Oh brother . . .

11. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Rio Bravo or El Dorado? -> Both :)

I rated my films over the years, and both got a 100%-rate. Maybe it's because I watched them - I don't know how often - on TV when I was a kid.
    I simply love them both, same with Hatari! or The Magnificent Seven (both also 100%). The majority of my eleven 100%-films * are older ones.

And because of this, it's just a shame with Hatari! At least El Dorado seems to look OK (didn't got it yet).

my 100%-films:BullittEl DoradoGarden StateHatari!Kill Bill Vol.1North By NorthwestOut of SightRio BravoStar WarsThe Magnificent SevenThe Maltese FalconInteresting: all U.S. films. Not a single European film in that list. :)