What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ El Dorado -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Just saw Hatari, El Dorado and Gunfight at the OK Corral this weekend at Sam's Club for $8.95ea, so not to hard on the wallet to
upgrade.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Mark Booth said:
For whatever reason, this seems a somewhat common occurrence with older films. I'd be curious why this is done but my guess is that it's done to prevent the loss of opening titles text due to overscan on some sets.
I've read (though I don't have a source, sorry), that studios are required to windowbox or squeeze opening titles if the text extends to the far edges, past the "TV safe" zone for overscan cropping. This is mandated so that credited actors don't get their names cut off.

Considering that modern HDTVs don't have the same sort of overscan problems that old CRT sets did, this is a very antiquated rule that needs to be revised.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I saw this for the first time a few months ago on the HDNET movie channel and was impressed on how sharp the film was and it looked great to me...and a good movie too. Can't wait to see Criterion's blu-ray release of Hawk's Red River coming soon.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Robert Harris said:
...and with a bit of digital work that doesn't appear to have been necessary...
So, would it be safe to assume this looks like something shot on film rather than on digital media?
---------------

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Robert Harris said:
... To answer the query below, while I have no real experience in the area of whorehouses being lit up like the 4th of July...

I have seen the entire run of Deadwood, and would use that as an example.

My intent was to signify a great deal of light, where one might not expect as much.

RAH
Well, as someone who has spent more time than I'd care to admit in whorehouses, I can assure everyone else that is one place you generally do not want a lot of light. However, never having been in one on the 4th of July as I recall, that might be the exception, assuming everyone in there, customers and staff alike, are wearing extra thick beer goggles on that particular holiday...

:blink: :D

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jim Mcc said:
El Dorado is good, but Rio Bravo is better.
For me, El Dorado is the better of the two. It could be because I prefer Mitchum and Caan or maybe it depends on which one is viewed first. Having viewed El Dorado first it makes it seem like Rio Bravo is the remake.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I saw El Dorado first but I like Rio Bravo better. El Dorado treats the drunkeness of Mitchum as comedy (it's fun but I prefer Dean Martin's more realistic struggle).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Cineman said:
Well, as someone who has spent more time than I'd care to admit in whorehouses, I can assure everyone else that is one place you generally do not want a lot of light. :blink: :D
Someone I know went on a police raid of strip clubs. The cops brought UV lights into the rooms used for private dances. Oh brother . . .

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Rio Bravo or El Dorado? -> Both :)

I rated my films over the years, and both got a 100%-rate. Maybe it's because I watched them - I don't know how often - on TV when I was a kid.
I simply love them both, same with Hatari! or The Magnificent Seven (both also 100%). The majority of my eleven 100%-films * are older ones.

And because of this, it's just a shame with Hatari! At least El Dorado seems to look OK (didn't got it yet).

my 100%-films:BullittEl DoradoGarden StateHatari!Kill Bill Vol.1North By NorthwestOut of SightRio BravoStar WarsThe Magnificent SevenThe Maltese FalconInteresting: all U.S. films. Not a single European film in that list. :)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
First time watching the El Dorado blu ray, excellent picture and sound (plus good supplements). I've always preferred this to Rio Bravo (Mitchum is better), Charlene Holt is very good and should have made more films (she was also good in the previous Hawks film Man's Favorite Sport).

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
First time watching the El Dorado blu ray, excellent picture and sound (plus good supplements). I've always preferred this to Rio Bravo (Mitchum is better), Charlene Holt is very good and should have made more films (she was also good in the previous Hawks film Man's Favorite Sport).
Charlene Holt and Michele Carey were a helluva one-two punch. Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo, but Charlene Holt's character is far more interesting in El Dorado, and Michele Carey is the icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks