What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Drums Along the Mohawk -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Charles Smith said:
But we were also treated to Nothing Sacred, the color and texture of which are practically indescribable.
Please TRY though!!!!! :rolleyes:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ahollis said:
I know this is just a personal observation but I started in the Exhibition Industry when carbon arc projectors were still well in use. I went trough the switch to Xenon bulbs and noticed a distinct difference in color on the screen with the lamps. I know this was the 70's and there were different film stocks being used but the brilliance of color just was not there. Again this was just a personal observation. I miss the pure white light from a carbon arc, but realize the film business had to have the Xenon bulbs to survive.
Why exactly did they switch to Xenon bulbs?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause every other industry moved off carbon-arc 50 years prior.Today(but not then) there are xenon that mimic the color produced by c-a, but...it is the flicker of c-a that can't be copied.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
JoeDoakes said:
They needed longer run times for projection automation that carbon arcs couldn't provide. Carbons max out at about an hour before they burn out and need replacing, xenon can run continuously for hours & hours.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoeDoakes said:
Xenon bulbs allowed for the reels of a print to be splices together for a contentious show. Carbon arcs lasted about 30 minutes before they burned up and the projectionist had to monitor them to insure they were burning right. The switch to Xenon bulbs and projectors brought about the multi-plex. The digital projectors today still use the xenon bulbs. Some arenas still use carbon arc for spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks