What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downtown Abbey - Seasons One & Two - PBS - Domestic - New release October 2012 (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's not often that quality and popularity coincide on television. It seems that in many cases, something a bit more literate might catch a smaller audience, and not find the success of more simplistic and popular programming.

Downton Abbey is both.

Literate, and filled with the history of the era. Beautifully produced, and yet with just enough of a soap opera ethic to make it a chart-topper.

I had major problems with the original domestic release because the quality of transfer and authoring. Although shot as data, the UK 1080i release became the victim of poor processing toward the 1080p world here in the Colonies. I ended up viewing the UK release, which was not troubled.

The problems have now been fixed, re-packaged, and finally, the special Christmas episode, previously only available as a separate offering, is now included.

While the first season appears to be the same as originally, meaning that the encode is the same, it is not now, nor was it ever problematic. It is the second season that now replicates the UK release -- not simply for content, which is complete and uncut, but rather for authoring and the stuttering problem in the original.

The new release also hits a much friendlier price point ($42), as we wait for Season three to arrive in January of 2013.

Downton Abbey is wonderful programming, and now, in terms of quality, hits proper PBS standards.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Thanks, Robert! You've concisely answered every question I had about this re-release. And I'm pleased that all of the answers are the ones I'd hoped for. :)

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
When I bought Season 2 on Blu-Ray, the third disc had both Episode 8 and the Christmas Special. Was there a previous Blu-Ray release for Season 2 that didn't include the special?
Also, are any of the deleted scenes or commentaries included in this new set? The UK sets have them, but the US sets never did.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Escapay said:
When I bought Season 2 on Blu-Ray, the third disc had both Episode 8 and the Christmas Special. Was there a previous Blu-Ray release for Season 2 that didn't include the special?
Also, are any of the deleted scenes or commentaries included in this new set? The UK sets have them, but the US sets never did.
In the UK, the Christmas Special was issued separately and was not included on the Season 2 set.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Thanks, I was afraid there were different releases in the US (like how "Planet Earth" is available in its original BBC form or in the altered Discovery Channel form), and one of them didn't have the special for some reason.
They have this new set at Target for only $35 this week. I might get it for the corrected S2 and give my individual season Blus to a family member.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks