What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downton Abbey - Season 6 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In the history of broadcast television, there have been few shows as heralded for overall quality, as the six seasons of the Carnival / Masterpiece / PBS Downton Abbey.

That quality, which affected every area of the show, does not fail in the final season.

On Blu-ray, there were some early problems with encoding, as I recall with Season Two, which duplicated frames, but this was quickly corrected by PBS.

The Sixth is the first season with which I've experimented, in up-rezzing to 4k, and the results are interesting.

More years ago than I'd like to think, I created a budget toward proving the economies of shooting in 65mm, for Nostromo, a film which unfortunately didn't get made as planned. I was given the task of creating line items for everything and anything that might affect the cost of shooting in large format, and the final numbers proved that it was very approachable.

One of those line items was extra care in makeup and hairpieces, and interestingly, it is here -- and only here -- that the uprez of Downton Abbey, shows it's HD roots. What presumably would be transparent in broadcast becomes obvious in 4k, as hairpieces must be affixed somehow. I presume that if one if working toward transparency in 4k projection, there is a different means of working.

This is not to be negative in any way toward the production. It merely shows, that for good or bad, the presumption that everything will look better in 4k, is at best illusory, unless digital changes are being made to the data files.

That said, everything else about the production works beautifully in 4k, and helps to create that special world to which viewers have become accustomed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm already going through Downton withdrawals. Buying season 6 should help... a little...
Yeah, I can't believe we aren't going to get any more. There has been some vague talk about a film, but to gather this large cast back together when many are in great demand would be next to impossible, I'd think,

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Yeah, I can't believe we aren't going to get any more. There has been some vague talk about a film, but to gather this large cast back together when many are in great demand would be next to impossible, I'd think,

I've read that if they do move forward with a film it will jump ahead a number of years because Maggie Smith doesn't want to be part of it. She jokes that the Dowager Countess must be well over one hundred years old when season six finished. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks