A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downton Abbey - Season 3 -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Qomma

Qomma Auditioning

Downton Abbey, after the first season, was shot 24 fps. Therefore there is no conversion and no problem.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Truly?!
    Then my eyes deceive me.
    Please explain for your second post at HTF.

3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    I love the show and I've only been watching on PBS HD. But I wish they would create a surround mix rather than stereo.

4. CMNash

CMNash Stunt Coordinator

Carlos M Nash
    So true. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I suffered with poorly converted PAL to NTSC material. Eventually, I got a PAL television and multi-region DVD player to avoid the conversion (although my friends hated it because they were disturbed by the flicker). I had already seen the Series 3 of Downton on ITV, and the American PBS Blu-ray looks absolutely stunning. I'm just a bit bothered by the audio slowdown (pitch lowering). Are there any audio engineers here who have some opinions/experience with pitch manipulating algorithms? When converting formats with temporal changes, has anyone used software to correct pitch? I've only played with it in Adobe Audition, and it seems 'okay' although strange artifacts often occur with highly transient sounds.

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    Oddly enough last night's broadcast of DA was in what i think is surround on WETA DC area. I'm hearing center channel dialogue and music in the rear. Can someone confirm the sound format of this program?

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ I can't confirm anything beyond that the first two season Blu-rays are stereo and so are the broadcasts in the Philadelphia area. I'd have to imagine that if the Blu-rays weren't even 5.1, stereo is the correct format.

7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    The last PBS broadcast of DA on my HD DVR, the 2 hour episode, is definitely in 5.1. Center channel dialogue - music in surrounds.

8. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I have the blu-ray but only watch the episode after i watch it live on PBS. You can hear edits dialog. Tonights the finale 4 hours if you want to watch last weeks too. Maggie Smith will be on 60 minutes tonight. I have not even got to the bonus features on the BD. The show was really good this season. I think it looks and sounds great!

9. Mark Collins

Mark
    After watching last nights finale I watched the first 3 episodes again. I did not hear Edith and Sir Anthony speak of the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and how he had met her when Edith was just learning to walk. I remembered the scene from when it aired but it was edited out of my UK BD collection. Plus it boasted over 2 hours bonus which I did not watch until last night and thought it much less. Any comments?

10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
  11. Mark Collins

Mark
    Charles read our thread on Downton in the TV on DVD section. The answer you want is there. Glad that the show has been renewed for another season thanks to info from a Downton fan.

12. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Mark, I'm not sure I found the exact thread you're referring to. This one comes up twice in an advanced search, with the other instance of it continued a little closer to present day. The latest post addressing this question dates from November 2012 in which RAH says that Season 2 was very nicely redone by PBS. If that one was the main offender, that might be all I need to know. However, it also seems like people reported some slight differences in editing between the UK and US releases, so that has me scratching my head, too.

All I'm really looking for is a quick word of advice for Yrs Truly who is ready - yes, now, finally - to come to Downton Abbey, and who needs to know the best, most authentic, most reliable, etc., Blu-ray set so I can start at the very beginning (a very good place to start). Thanks!

13. Mark Collins

Mark
  14. Mark Collins

Mark
    Charles is this not a great show. If I can help out with any more questions please ask and read the other threads posts too.