A Few Words About A few words about...™ Don Juan DeMarco -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 3, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    It's strange.

Try to explain, or even mention Don Juan DeMarco to someone unaware, and you get a blank stare. Kind of a "huh?"

"Brando and Depp? You're kidding. That would be as odd as Brando and Broderick."

Jeremy Leven (writer of Legend of Bagger Vance, Alex & Emma, The Notebook) wrote, and directs this wonderful film about a young man who thinks himself to be a decedent of the real Don Juan. The one woman he wants, is the one he can't seem to get. After threatening to commit suicide, Marlon Brando is his duly appointed psychiatrist, and the relationship between the two forms the basis for the film.

Brando is terrific.

Depp is enchanting.

And the film is a winner.

I couldn't be more pleased to report that the Blu-ray from New Line, via Warner Bros., is also.

Produced by a team including Francis Ford Coppola, Don Juan DeMarco is a substantial piece of entertainment.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Great news. I love this film and hadn't even heard it was being released on blu ray. Thanks!

3. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    You know who hated this movie? Roger Ebert. He felt that Brando phoned it in (acting-wise), and the director couldn't tell the difference.
    I think Rog missed the point. Brando looked to me like he was having a blast working on the film - particularly working with Johnny Depp. It seems to me to have infused Brando with life. Just watch him deliver the line, "(I need) to get into this world that he’s in, and it’s a wonderful world." His performance fits perfectly with the theme of the movie.
    On a serious movie, this sort of performance might be a bad thing. But this is not a serious movie.
    -R

4. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    If only Johnny Depp would do more movies outside of Tim Burton's universe like this one. His performance is brilliant and the script is first-rate. After watching the Blu-ray last night, I couldn't be happier with the quality.

A+ from me, minus the existence of many extras. The trailers and music video are in hi def, however. :)

5. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Not too often I see a chance to disagree with you, so here goes: Brando seemed to be half asleep throughout the film. I took my father to see this on the strength of a Roger Ebert review. What struck us the most was how good Depp was. It's a great performance.

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Mr. Brando was large, but I doubt that he was half asleep.