A Few Words About A few words about...™ Do the Right Thing -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Do the Right Thing is now twenty years old.

This tale of a neighborhood imploding upon itself in the summer heat holds its spell. Brought to the screen by Spike Lee, with whom I share an alma mater, DtRT is a wonderfully satisfying example of production design and cinematography done right, while wrapping around a good story.

All of the color is still there, with good shadow detail, blacks, and... those reds!

If it were not for a bit of an electronic texture, I'd be loving this Blu-ray. As it is, I'm not certain what was intended, as I'm seeing problems that drop the release down a notch or two. Will these problems disturb the casual viewer? I would think not.

But for clarity's sake and in fairness, they cannot go unreported.

RAH

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Are we talking grain removal, RAH, or something else? Electronic texture could suggest many things.

3. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Stunt Coordinator

I hope it's not grain removal, Ernest Dickerson supervised the transfer on the Criterion version. OK Robert, is it worth double dipping and replacing the Criterion DVD from 2001? When will they learn NOT TO TOUCH THE GRAIN.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

While I'm seeing some grain, I'm also seeing occasional "ringing," or a slight "force field" effect.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

This is an upgrade as it most likely will not be revisited, especially with all the extras along for the ride. I'm a fan of Mr. Dickerson's work, but what I'm seeing is something not captured in his original negatives.

6. Brian Husar

Thanks. I will look forward to it. From what I see Universal has been hit and miss with there transfers. They still seem better than Fox though.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

Fox's new transfers seem fine. They're doing nice work. There are still a few coming from olden days however.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Thanks for the clarification.

9. Brian Husar

Thanks for that. I am still judging them by Patton.

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

We're all well past Patton.

Judge by Sand Pebbles.

11. blimey

blimey Extra

Mr. Harris, have you seen The Diary of Anne Frank by any chance? Is the transfer good?

12. urbo73

urbo73 Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Harris, you are aware that this transfer does NOT have "those reds!". In fact I'm quite disappointed to be honest. The 2001 Criterion DVD has the warm look that I remember and that Mr. Dickerson approved of. The difference is quite noticeable and reported by many. This release has a cooler look, which takes away from the hottest day theme that is such a large part of the film. The fact that neither Spike Lee nor Mr. Dickerson have said anything, is hard to understand. If this release was indeed the "intended or correct" look, then Mr. Lee would have said something on the new commentary track. He doesn't. Nobody has said anything. All I know is that it looks different and not what I remember it like. And that Mr. Dickerson approved the Criterion look. So? On a properly calibrated system, the difference is quite obvious. This is just as important as grain removal, but somehow not really discussed as much...

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I watched the BD the other night. It's odd the color timing is so much different from the DVD. The disc does have some edge enhancement and a little DNR, as well.

14. urbo73

urbo73 Stunt Coordinator

I can get over a bit of DNR and EE, but when the color/white balance of the entire film (which BTW is central to the theme) is changed, then it ruins the film for me. The most surprising thing is that Spike Lee has a new commentary track and makes no mention of this - one way or another. I wonder what Ernest Dickerson would say. For now, I'm sticking with the Criterion, since he approved that. Until someone comes up with some explanation that is.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree...hopefully someone makes a statement about it.

16. alstein

alstein Auditioning

Aron
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows if the The January 2012 release of Do The Right Thing Universal 100th Anniversary / Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy is a repackaging of the 20th Anniversary Blu Ray release. I have that one, and prefer my Criterion DVD version. Thanks.