A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cleopatra (1963) - U.S. Release -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 22, 2013.

1. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    But instead of Lee Remick we got Doris Day and James Gardner.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I know you meant Garner.

I quite like Move Over, Darling, and I think Doris was much more comfortable in a comedy like this than Lee Remick.

3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

You are quite right and MOVE OVER DARLING is one of my favorites. Polly Bergen, Chuck Conners, Don Knotts, Fred Clark and the great Thelma Ritter made up a great cast.

I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.

Matt Hough likes this.
  4. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

Anthonys fall from grace hits you in the gut. His charge on horse toward the army is full of fury. Alex North delievers the moment.

ahollis likes this.
  5. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I still can't watch my copy. It won't play in my Blu-ray player. :(

6. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    While the very slight letdown in Act II was evident when watching it at the theater a few months ago, I remained entranced -- as did the audience around me -- with the whole affair, right to the end. And boy, the ending is worth the trip.

Shortly thereafter, with the BD finally in my hands, I watched that great documentary again, marveling more than ever that with everything conspiring against it, the film is such a stunner. I welcome its imperfections.

Andrew Budgell, ROclockCK and ahollis like this.
  7. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I sent for a replacement copy..same issue. It's the only br that doesn't play in my player.

8. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Sounds like you need to update the firmware for the player. I have to check every six months or so and the only problems I have had were with Fox Blu-rays.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, their discs are heavily copy protected. It sometimes takes a minute or more for a disc to boot up in my Panasonic player.

10. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

FOX discs are the only ones that I have trouble with...Can't play at all FRENCH KISS. Pioneer 320 updated as well.

11. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    A Letter To Three Wives might not make you a Mankiewicz fan but it'll probably make you a Linda Darnell fan! The DVD is pretty good and should cost less than the BRD will.

12. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    James Garner and Don Knotts were supposed to be co-stars with Monroe but she wanted Dean Martin and Wally Cox.

13. Panavision70

Panavision70 Stunt Coordinator

Rick Notch
    To spend $40 million to make a movie and have the movie make about $40 million at the box office is not a bomb or a hit. It's just survival.

14. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

No need. I fell in love with her the first time I saw Fallen Angel!

15. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    If you loved her in Fallen Angel, you'll be fascinated by her in A Letter To Three Wives which is an essential movie for all Linda Darnell fans. I strongly advise you to watch it at least once.

Will Krupp likes this.
  16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

17. rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci
    Andrew Budgell likes this.
  18. sonomatom1

sonomatom1 Stunt Coordinator

Tom Martin
    RBlenheim: wow! I am a fan of 'Khartoum' but to say that it should have gone to the head of the line in front of 'Cleopatra' is a truly baffling statement. People may complain that 'Cleopatra' is too 'talky', but compared to the gabfest that was 'Khartoum', "Cleopatra' really hums along. Beyond that, the sheer wood-and-plaster spectacle that were the sets of 'Cleopatra' was a testament to the artistry of the set designers/builders of the time - or any time! - and it is something we will never see again.

And while I consider myself pretty literate (boy, am I going out on a limb with this group! ;o) ) with respect to film lore, I've never heard of King Vidor's "The Crowd", so I wonder why it should have jumped in front of 'Cleopatra'. Sorry you didn't enjoy this great, lumbering masterpiece - and for what it is, 'Cleopatra' is a masterpiece.

19. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    The short way to start a war (pre-interval line from The Alamo) is by comparing favourite films, and it's worth noting that some recent poll somewhere has classed THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as the greatest ever.

However, our opinions are of course formed by our experience and I can only suggest that Tom Martin would benefit from seeking out and seeing THE CROWD. Regardless of lists of somebody's favourites it's a remarkable picture from 1924 and I've had the privilege of seeing it with live orchestra, as well as many times from video.

There's no comparison with CLEOPATRA as their only similarity is that they're both films but, treading very gently here, allow me to venture that, in terms of cinema history, I believe it to be the greater achievement.

And I'll further risk what happens after the interval in The Alamo by suggesting that you increase your knowledge of film history with a few more of the important Silent Era pictures - not as a penance but as a source of considerable pleasure. Another King Vidor one, THE BIG PARADE, is an appropriate suggestion for D Day.

20. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    "The Crowd" is generally regarded as one the best films King Vidor ever made and one of the greatest of all silent films. It was among the first 25 films added to the United States National Film Registry back in 1989. While there's lots to admire about "Cleopatra", "The Crowd" is a masterpiece.