A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cleopatra (1963) - U.S. Release -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 22, 2013.

1. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Well David, we shall see. I'm in the mood to see it this evening. I've turned the colour & the brightness up a bit & set the colour balance to warm on my telly. It's 6.30pm in London now (& a dull old day), & the show starts at 7.30, when my meal is cooked.

2. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    The missing 2 hours really would have made a tremendous difference. Don't take my word for it see for yourself:
    http://www.taylortribute.com/Elizabeth%20Taylor%20-%20Restored%20Cleopatra%20page%2001.html
    This website was made by someone with a copy of the complete script and stills from the missing scenes. It explains everything that was taken out and you can see how even the 4 hour version is pretty well truncated in many places in terms of logic.
    The main thing to keep in mind was that it wasn't to be a six hour film, it was meant to be 2 three hour films, and it would have worked like gangbusters.

3. marcco00

marcco00 Stunt Coordinator

marc
  4. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Great minds...

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for those links, I hope to be able to read through them soon.

6. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    The best way to do it is with the Movie going too, you read the red bits which are the cut scenes with full dialogue, then you watch the movie for the green bits.

7. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Billy, I'm going to wait until the Sunday matinee at the local cinemark threater to watch it again.

Thanks, guys for the link to the script.

8. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Supporting Actor

What am I missing about the placement of the entr'acte? It would seem to me the original placement, at the end of disc 1, would provide the user more (and more convenient) viewing/presentation options. I don't understand what's "strange" about that placement.

hndrsnsbks and Moe Dickstein like this.
  9. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

As with a theatrical show the roadshow movies of yore always placed the Entr'acte music at the start of the second half of the film. It is the proper way this movie and all roadshows that had Entr'actes were presented. As apparently presented on the UK disc the Entr'acte actually becomes an epilogue for the first half instead of an "overture' for the second.

10. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Some entr'actes flow directly into the ACT II action without pausing. Oklahoma and The Sound of Music are two examples of this.

11. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

Joshua Zyber
    The entr'acte is intended to provide the audience time for a bathroom break, something that isn't really needed in the home video era where viewers can pause the movie whenever they want. While it should certainly be preserved on the disc, if you're of the mindset that it's not something you actually need to sit through, then it makes more sense to put the entr'acte at the end of Part 1 than at the beginning of Part 2. There, it would function much like an end credits sequence for the fist half, and you can jump into the second half as soon as you're ready.

On the other hand, if you're of the mindset that the entr'acte is like an overture that you're supposed to sit through to get in the mood for the movie, in that case it makes more sense at the beginning of Part 2.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Which if your of that mindset then you're going to watch Part 2 after part 1 anyway so it doesn't matter which disc it appears on, you're sitting through it regardless. :P

13. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    And even if the Entr'acte didn't flow directly into the action, there was very little pause between the last note of the Entr'acte and the start of Part 2. The music was meant to be carried seamlessly through to the second part of the film. It wasn't just a standalone piece of music - it was designed to get the audience into the right mood.

14. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    How about giving the entr'acte its own separate, skippable chapter at the opening of Act II and make everybody happy?

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If only the movie had been directed by Peter Jackson...

16. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    The Intermission was for the bathroom break. That usually lasted 10 to 15 minutes with the curtain closed and lights up. The Entr'acte was to to call the patrons back to their seats and help place them in the mood for the second half if the film. During the Entr'acte the house lights would dim and and by its end the theatre would be dark and the curtain opens. My mindset is it belongs at the beginning of part two to give the viewer the Roadshow experience.I would surmise that the people that want it correctly placed are ones that experienced a Roadshow in Theatres.

17. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

First statement is 100% correct.
    Believe that you meant to say that the mindset should be at the beginning part two(not one) as part one already has an overture.
    Third statement is correct as the entr'acte was indeed experienced as part of second half of the film.

By the way I viewed an excellent presentation of Cleopatra the other day at a local Regal Theatre. The entr'acte was indeed played at the end of the intermission break and just prior to the beginning of the second part of the film.

ahollis likes this.
  18. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    But wasn't Cleopatra harvested via 8k scan Mr. Harris? Around the time It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World landed, I recall reading this little blurb from FotoKem:
    If this was not the case, then I hope you can provide some insight about what was actually done for Cleopatra. I've always understood that it received top tier handling, like the other Fox Todd-AO titles mentioned in the above quote.

19. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Cleopatra is the only film I recall seeing in a 16mm TV print on a local station, in which they ran the overture and exit music with nothing but black leader onscreen. This was sometime around 1980 or so. I don't recall if the entr'acte was included or indeed whether it was the full-length version.

20. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    You are right I intended to say the Entr'acte belongs at the beginning if Part Two. I have corrected it. Thanks.