What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory: Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I demuxed and re-encoded THE PIRATE with a boost in color saturation. I'll post comparison pics soon. This reconsituted version looks like the Laserdisc save for better clarity and stability. Odd Warner used an old master that apparently was lowered in saturation for a DVD release in 2007! SUMMER STOCK and THE HARVEY GIRLS got new transfers when compared to the same mid-90's Laserdisc set, but not THE PIRATE, which we waited the longest for! I hear they recycled the transfer used on PRESENTING LILY MARS too.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Why are they doing this - from Warner, who criticizes other companies for recycling old Laserdisc masters? And this late in the game? Boy, that's a question for another one of their chats alright...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you're saying that Warner is using LD transfers then what are your sources for such an accusation?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Look at the Laserdisc and the DVD - the same exact flaws are on both, down to the ringing from edge enhancement. Only THE PIRATE looks better on LD than on the DVD.

My sources are my eyes. I can't confirm LILY MARS or THE CLOCK because I no longer have those Laserdiscs, but I can say that THE PIRATE looks to be the same transfer albeit with much lower color saturation, as if it was lowered to account for the color burst that was a part of the Laserdisc spec. It's as if that desaturated master was used for the DVD. If it at least had the saturation as seen on the Laserdisc it would be fine - but it doesn't.
SUMMER STOCK and THE HARVEY GIRLS are obviously newer transfers because of the added sharpness, less print artifacts, and slightly different color values (improved on the DVD releases). THE PIRATE? Not so... just the desaturation issue.

We'll just have to ask Warner at the next chat - if they'll address it. I wouldn't doubt WORDS AND MUSIC is recycled as well as it looks to have some of the same problems - even the deleted scenes look lifted from the LD master with the same info screens to the scenes, same desaturated color...

Anyone else have the LD set care to chime in?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I did an A/B comparison on my TV after synching the LD and DVD up for THE PIRATE. The sad thing is that the LD transfer was VERY good anyway, and I wouldn't have minded them recycling it if they hadn't desaturated the color to such an extreme extent. :-( A new transfer would undoubtedly be better with all the improvements in telecine technology in the past 12 yrs, but anything is better than nothing (I thought).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys,
That's not proof to me so I suggest one of you asks Warner a direct question about this issue during our next scheduled chat.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Well, I do comparisons regularly, as I collect all home video issues (VHS, Laser, and DVD) of many films. The framing is usually different on a new master, but I find the most telling evidence is identical gate weave.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
If I'm able to ask a question, you can bet I'll definately ask why a recycled (and oddly inferior) master was used for THE PIRATE and a few other Judy Garland films.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
We know George is passionate about Garland and is going to get her films to us regardless of the limitations placed onto him by Warner Brothers, and for that I applaud him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks