What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Charade -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo

A little late to this party, but I have to agree with Malcolm on this response. On the surface at least it seems a bit elitist, condescending and ultimately worthless as a reply to Ben's sincere inquiry. If you didn't have the time or inclination to post a more helpful response or indeed make any effort to correct the misinformation on the web, why not just plainly say so rather than suggest something that I'm sure for Ben and most of us who participate in this forum is not a feasible nor reasonable resolution.

The point being that wiki is virtually worthless for this type of research. The comment was not negative toward Malcolm. And I'd be pleased to set coursework, but it would takes weeks, and a great deal of nice wine.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
First, are IPs made for all major Hollywood productions, whether for TV or for motion pictures?

For theatrical features, yes, though in the last decade or so, traditional IPs have been replaced by their digital equivalents. For television, it depends on a number of factors - most importantly, what format it was shot on and when it was made. Most dramatic shows, shot on 35mm or 16mm film, and made prior to about the mid-1980s were made in much the same way as feature films. From the mid-80s to about the late 90s, television shows were almost entirely edited and completed on SD video, even if they were shot on film. So the completed version exists only as SD video. And shows from the last decade have been largely completed in HD.

Does an IP exist for a black and white film, or not?

Yes. An IP was really the first version of the completed film, so it wouldn't have made any difference whether it was black and white or colour.

Are IPs sometimes made and then later just thrown out, whether accidentally or or purpose? Or are they likely to exist for most films and tv programs?

Anything can get lost, but for the vast majority of films, they're more than likely still around.

Finally, is an IP much more common than a separation master?

Yes. Every feature film would have had an IP at some point. Separation masters were much less common.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Actually, RAH, your original comment was in response to Ben. Malcolm was the one who chimed in earlier today with a response to yours of last September.

We can agree to disagree on the snarkyness or lack of same in your original response. I will just say that it seemed uncharacteristic of your usual posts.

In any case, I have also found that a great deal of nice wine can encourage my teaching capabilities, though not always as coherently as I might think at the time.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm grateful to Worth for his excellent explanations. Many, many thanks. Seems like there's more hope than I thought for great blu-rays for all sorts of things. Commercial viability seems to be the roadblock for a lot of it.

And I'm a little ashamed that way back when I posted stuff from wikipedia that had faulty info. Sorry about that.

Again, many thanks to all, including RAH.

This is a great site for learning about about all sorts of things. And it's a lot of fun to chat with people who have such a passion for movies.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Harris said:
Quote:

The point being that wiki is virtually worthless for this type of research.  The comment was not negative toward Malcolm.  And I'd be pleased to set coursework, but it would takes weeks, and a great deal of nice wine.
I'm sure you could talk Mr. Coppola into sending you a case. :D Doug

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched this film yesterday, i loved every second of it, image quality was great and my only criticism would be that i would have liked the mono track to have been delivered via the left and right speakers the same way as Sony did for the mono track of Jason And The Argonauts.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was glad to see that there was a Criterion version of this great movie. I remember seeing this movie in the theater when it was first released. I have been a huge Audrey Hepburn fan. She and Cary Grant were very good together in this movie.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I remember it, too -- in fact, at the very theater depicted in my avatar.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I remember it, too -- in fact, at the very theater depicted in my avatar.

I really miss those big single screen theaters where I saw all movies until the mid 70s. Theater goers just don't know what they are missing these days. No wonder people defer to watch movies on DVD and BD, now. Many TVs aren't much larger than the multiplex screens movie are shown on. End of Rant!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I really enjoyed Charade and upgraded my Criterion DVD to Criterion blu ray. Very happy with the transfer and audio on the disc.

I just watched Arabesque on DVD too! Blind purchase and loved it!!!!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

I really enjoyed Charade and upgraded my Criterion DVD to Criterion blu ray. Very happy with the transfer and audio on the disc.

I just watched Arabesque on DVD too! Blind purchase and loved it!!!!

I just upgraded my Charade DVD as well, but haven't had a chance to check out the BD. Glad you think it was worthwhile Tim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks