What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Champion -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Definitely, no gifts from Olive this Holiday season.

Champion, a brilliant film released in 1949, with a screenplay by Ring Lardner, produced by Stanley Kramer and directed by Mark Robson, doesn't get it just Blu-ray desserts.

Beautifully shot in black & white by Frank Planer is typically okay for an Olive Blu-ray. No one has gone out of their way to make this anything special.

It's almost as if someone walks into a grocery store and asks for a half pound of sliced roast beef. It just is.

The transfer, which appears to be derived from a positive element, probably a fgm, is once again, okay.

Dupes are unpleasant, when they needed by, at least to the extent that they are. Original production shots are again, just okay.

Afaik, the original nitrate picture negative survives.

Why not use it, one more time. Harvest some great 4k files, and be done with it?

Great film.

Not a great Blu-ray.

Image - 2.5

Audio - 4

RAH

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Disappointing.

I'm of two minds on situations like this; where I want to support catalog releases, but I get tired of purchasing titles whose transfers do not live up to their potential.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
Disappointing.

I'm of two minds on situations like this; where I want to support catalog releases, but I get tired of purchasing titles whose transfers do not live up to their potential.

- Walter.
I hear you, Walter. This BD isn't as good as the BDs of Body and Soul or even The Enforcer, but it's a lot better looking than the Artisan DVD of Champion.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I reckon the the two recent Olive Blus that I have some reservations are: Retreat Hell, &, Flame of the Barbary Coast. There are so many scratches all over many frames that it is not funny and they are bare bones releases at a much higher price than many Warner Blus etc makes is doubly worse. Luckily, I liked both films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks