A Few Words About A few words about...™ Certified Copy -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 18, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
  2. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris.
    This is a wonderful film. It reminds me so much of Before Sunrise/Sunset and even Last Year at Marienbad. I like how Kiarostami respects the viewer by not giving away too much. It's much more stimulating to watch, feel and think than it is to watch and be spoon-fed the answers.
    Binoche and Shimell are outstanding.I see myself revisiting this film many times.
    Certified Copy will take its place in my collection next to Kiarostami's Close-up.

3. SeanAx

SeanAx Stunt Coordinator

Sean Axmaker
    A beautiful film and, I believe, a towering work of art. I watched it multiple times and love the new Blu-ray. I have not had time to watch his second feature "The Report," which is included on the disc, but I look forward to it.

When I first saw the film, my mind raced to understand what was happening when, in the midst of a stop in a trattoria an chatty proprietor mistakes the man for the woman's husband, they simply segue into the roles and the outing becomes a portrait of a marriage fifteen years on. Then I saw it as the cinematic equivalent of a Picasso cubist portrait. Instead of showing multiple perspectives of an object in an image, Kiarostami presents experiences from different periods in a life in a single narrative. What we finally see is the life of a relationship, from first meeting to 15th anniversary, with estrangement, arguments and bickering in between and a wedding, middle age and old age played out in couples around them, in a single day. 15 years on, they still aren't able to communicate or even understand one another.

And Juliette Binoche is a goddess.

4. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator