What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Carrie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are several ways to view the lack of additional programming on the Carrie Blu-ray.

As Mr. George has correctly noted, dual layer may not have been an option for the release due to time/production constraints. One of the major selling points for Blu-ray since day one has been capacity, and the all-immersive experience of the film plus the promised cornucopia of appealing extras.

Remove that cornucopia of extras, especially on a catalog title, and the price point is best lowered to meet expectations. As Robert Crawford has stated, staff members have made their views known regarding pricing, and Fox, as is their right, has stood firm at the $40 list.

If, with the knowledge that:

A. They were dealing with a catalog title - not their own, but that of a licensor, and;

B. They were publishing a single layer disc...

They might have gone with a $30 list, yielding a street price of around $20.

Had that occurred, only part of the problem would have been solved, as while the release might have been priced at a more consumer friendly level, the charges of "future double dipping" would have been heard.

At that point, what does a publisher do?

Not publish a highly requested title for Halloween?

Come out in the future with a BD-50 inclusive of everything at the standard Fox price and offer a rebate to previous purchasers toward an upgrade?

For discussion, I submit three questions:

1. How many members would feel comfortable purchasing Carrie on Blu-ray without the extras, and if so, at what street price?

2. If Carrie were to be re-issued with extras, how may would wait for that to occur and at what street level do you feel it should be released?

3. How many of you are comfortable with a high quality disc, as published, without any extras, and most likely available at the $20 mark via Amazon during their next mega-sale?

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Fox has reduced their MSRP on catalog titles down to $34.99 for such releases in the December timeframe. That still isn't to the Warner/Sony level of $28.99, but at least it's a beginning in which Fox is aligned with Disney.

Crawdaddy

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
If we are referring specifically to titles that feature copious extras on the SD-DVD counterpart, then no sale price would be sufficient for me to "buy down" a barebones Blu-ray.

Boiling this down to the essentials, here's my major concern, and what gets me so worked up--I'm afraid that when someone of Mr. Harris's caliber says "Highly Recommended" to such a title, that sends a message back to the studios that this is a top bar title, that this is exactly the kind of work that we want to see continued by studios. I'm with everyone else that high quality video and audio are the most important factors of assessing a Blu-ray, but to give a Highly Recommended rating to a barebones Blu-ray implies that they are the only important factors, and I just cannot disagree with such an assessment more strongly. I don't mean to call Mr. Harris out on the carpet so much as I want to try, in whatever little way I can, to send a counter-argument to the studios that this type of release will not be tolerated nor rewarded by an important subsection of the Blu-ray consumer base; this early in the Blu-ray game, while it fights for market share, studios cannot afford to alienate any potential buyers.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Let me be very clear about what you are saying here--are you denying us the privilege of dialoguing about Mr. Harris's (or anyone else's) reviews? We must simply "take what we get" without question or concern? Does that not run counter to the whole concept of a discussion forum? Why not simply lock a review after it is posted to avoid the issue of the reviewer being "subjected" to concerns from readers? I'm not trying to be a shit here, I'm just always flabbergasted when admins say, in effect, "don't speak out on a forum". If I, or others, were being rude, that would be one thing, but I think I've been completely respectful, if passionate, through the course of this entire discourse. :confused:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't decide my BR purchases in such a black and white manner because of other factors. I have to take each individual release and judge it separately as to whether a particular title is worth the purchase price for me.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First you ask for clarification on what I'm saying then you put words in my mouth that I'm closing off discussion and now using your term, you're saying something about not trying to be a "shit" here. Which is it?

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Studio marketing personnel do read sites such as HTF, and threads such as this do make their way up the food chain.

The fact that I can give a high score to a BD release, which is then followed by thoughtful and courteous discourse by the membership relating to factors other than the quality of the feature itself...

and their displeasure tells a complete tale.

Make no mistake. The point is being made.

RAH

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Did you, or did you not, in effect, say that Mr. Harris should not have to weather criticism from those who seek a different outcome to his reviews of CARRIE's nature? And, if you concede that you did, since my initial post was just such a criticism, does that not then follow that you were indicating I should have never spoken up?

Mr. Harris, thank you for your reply; I'd prefer a more "teamwork" approach on getting this message across to the studios, but I appreciate your perspective, especially in your latest post. I also appreciate that you are open to, willing to and adept at fighting your own fights, and do not require others to save face on your behalf.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can be critical all you want as long as you do so within our guidelines, but a person isn't obligated to keep responding until he sees things the way you want them to see it.

Now, who's trying to silent whom with your bolded shot. Anyhow, I'll let you have the last word as continuing this back and forth is not value added to this discussion.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm a big fan of extras on film releases. For SOME films I find the extras more entertaining than the film.

Having said that I'm perfectly willing to buy a film only release, if the price reflects that it is not a special edition. Just as I wouldn't pay $79,999 (the price of a mustang shelby) for a 6 cylinder base model, I'm not going to pay $30 or more for a movie only release. I'm sorry but the Fox name alone on a release doesn't suggest to me a premium product.

I think somewhere between $19 and $24 (street price) is reasonable for movie only release. I just bought Poltergeist for $22, but I won't be buying Carrie for almost $40. Frankly I wouldn't buy Carrie at that price even if it had all the extras, I'd wait 6 months or a year till I could get it for $19.95 as most of the Fox titles seem to end up there over time.

Doug

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
Without a doubt, I'll take door #3. If this barebones policy results in more releases of catalog HD titles at easily affordable sales prices....I'll be buying like crazy. Just like I did when SD DVD offered pretty much the same strategy 10 years ago. If I'm interested in extras, I'll just watch my SD DVD disc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
People will spend depending upon the importance of a given film to them. My favorite film of all time happens to be BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, and if Sony eventually decides to release this on Blu-ray at $50. with no bonus features whatsoever - providing the transfer is superb - I will buy it without hesitation. Any film with lesser value to me - and that would be all movies - will result in my weighing in price vs. quality vs. features. Most of us already own the movies we truly love on SD -several times over, probably - and we're not willing to buy them yet again unless there is a strong incentive. That is where Fox and a few other studios drop the ball with Blu-ray and shoot themselves in the foot. How much effort, really, does it require to port over extras previously available (especially if they're not presented in 1080) into a new Blu-ray edition? I think there is a great deal of laziness, or else the studios are anticipating yet another multiple sale down the road for "Blu-ray special editions" that will offer these missing extras. Either way, it sucks, and I think we may finally be reaching that plateau at which consumers will (especially in these financially troubling times) simply say, "No, I've had enough. Studio greed has peaked and I'm no longer going to buy into it." I will be one of them. You want to entice me to buy a movie for the third or fourth time on DVD, Fox? Give me a reasonable list price and a full array of previously-available (as well as new) extras! Case closed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW (and it probably ain't worth much), it seems to me there is a real "Groundhog Day" situation in BD review threads on the HTF.

Many such threads seem to evolve into the same old debate over the quality of the transfer versus a lack of bonus features. Then, some well-intentioned soul chimes in to explain that there is BD-25 and BD-50 and that it makes sense for certain titles to be processed as a BD-25 (leading to few, if any, bonus features). This, in turn, raises the ire of some well-meaning member who wants to know why his/her favorite title should be pre-determined to be a BD-25...

My point is this: I wonder if it would be helpful for the HTF membership to have a better knowledge of BD processing limitations currently exisiting within the industry? Just from sampling a number of BD Review (or "few words about...") threads it seems as if there is a lack of understanding on a large part of the membership about issues within the BD processing industry. A better understanding of these issues on the part of the membership may lead to a more-informed discussion across the board.

I guess the remaining question would be: is there agreement about the limitations themselves on the part of the industry? In other words, could the explanations about production issues be made here in a manner that most insiders would agree to be true?

A clearinghouse thread on that issue might be a good place to start.

Just thinking out loud.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
It's a fair point, Mike, but even if CARRIE must be a BD-25 (and this title is far too popular for me to buy into that for a second), I don't find it likely that the addition of the SD-DVD's extras to this 98 minute film would have had an appreciable effect on the film's video and audio quality. If I'm wrong, an alternate option, which Warner has offered on many titles, is to offer a second standard SD-DVD alongside the Blu-ray of the film proper with the extras on it. In any case, if a studio chooses to give consumers less than what they were given access to before, I think that studio will be hard-pressed to make any appreciable headway in the marketplace.

This is all so frustrating because I really love this movie...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Travis: I understand your thoughts completely. Dick and Crawdaddy expressed similar positions when they each said that it's the individual film which decides for them if the price/quality of transfer/amount of bonus features combo is "worth it."

My point was just that it seems like there is a real disparity in the level of understanding among many of us HTFers about some of the limitations currently based on BD production because of processing issues (mostly, I guess, due to the newness of the technology).

Some are blessed with an insiders knowledge of the issues while many of us are ignorant about much of the situation. And I just keep seeing the same pattern within threads like this one about Carrie.

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
"Carrie" is one of my fond movie memories from the time I saw it as a kid at the drive-in during its theatrical run in the mid-70s. (My poor, unsuspecting parents... bless their hearts.)

It's a film I own on DVD, in a nice special edition.

It's a film I'd love to own on Blu-ray.

However, there aren't enough trailer park meth labs out there to make me delusional enough to shell out the money for a bare-bones Blu disc that MSRPs for $ 40.00.

Yes, I know most who post here at HTF know better than to pay retail for a title and rarely if ever do (myself included). However, with an MSRP of forty bucks, the "discount" percentage off that is still whackadoodle crazy.

Fox/MGM, this is a lost sale for you -- and one that engenders aggravation from a would-be patron. No, I'm not going to "boycott" Fox/MGM titles. (I have a life.)

What I will do is remember. And I will pay even closer attention to the cost/value quotient on your other releases, past and future.

MatS

Screenwriter
At very least at a MSRP of 39.98 the theatrical presentation could have been done on a BD-25 as noted and included a standard dvd with existing bonus materials as I doubt many of these would see benefit of being on BD as it is. Even then I still think it would be overpriced. This just seems like the Superbiting of BDs

This sums up my feelings as well and I believe those who feel the benefit of the increase pricing vs the turn downs being few are grossly mistaken. In addition pricing such as this does nothing to advance this format, if anything it shows how out of touch the studios can be

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Very well said. I simply could not agree more. And I certainly would've picked up Carrie, The Amityville Horror and The Omen had the prices on these catalogue titles been a little more reasonable.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As for the question of street price that I would pay for a bare bones release, I would go with $20 - $25.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks