What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Billy Batson said:
...but I didn't criticize it did I. I said I'm sure it's very good. I've seen a few superhero films, & really don't fancy seeing any more. Sorry.
I didn't mean to imply you were criticizing it (which you're not, btw). My only point was you might find something to really like in the film even if you don't fancy seeing any more.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Dick said:
Except that , in most cases, it's no longer film...
My last theater-going experiences with film were these:
- "The Master" in 70mm at the single-screen Ziegfeld in NYC: Dirt on the print from end to end. Audio OK for purposes of the film, but none of the refinement that we used to experience with great 70mm soundtracks.

- "Her" in 35mm in a local theater in Forest Hills, Queens that hasn't yet converted to digital (and I suspect will close rather than investing): Dim image, not much contrast, a fair amount of scratches and lots of dirt, especially at reel starts/ends. Also, after seeing mostly digital presentations the last bunch of years, I found myself (surprisingly) annoyed by the sound of the projector.

Now one can argue that this was "film done wrong", but the reality is that if theaters, even supposedly good theaters, no longer know how to handle film properly, than the digital experience is actually superior. While digital prints/presentation certainly have their disadvantages, I think one has to evaluate the experience as a whole. And with most prints, in most theaters, digital is going to look better, especially once you get a week into the run.

The high quality presentation we saw with much (but certainly not all) 70mm roadshow, was the exception, not the rule. I'll never forget "Lawrence" at the Criterion, "West Side Story" at the Rivoli or "How The West Was Won" at the Loews Cinerama (State) along with the Dolby era "Close Encounters..." at the Ziegfeld and the Star Wars films at either the Loews Astor Plaza or Orpheum, but even 70mm presentation was crappy almost everywhere else.

And I'm spoiled by living in NYC where most theaters never got a "used" film print. If one lived in a smaller town, you always got a crap print.

I've also found that movie-theater audiences have improved their behavior a bit. People actually do shut off their cell-phones once the movie begins. Personally, I've found that the people doing the talking are either very young or very old (esp. over 80). By picking the right show at the right theater, you can usually do okay. I also find I can sometimes avoid the idiots by paying a bit more and going to the ETX/RPX screen. Not that there's been all that much to see lately.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Just wanted to bump this thread because the Blu-ray is out soon.

Unfortunately, not the banner release I was hoping for in the USA.

It looks like Target has at least one extra featurette, which is probably not on the disc (digital acquisition). It doesn't look like this "Behind the Lens" featurette will be available anywhere else, which is annoying. Not coincidentally, shopping for Blu-ray or Blu-ray 3D at Target is like shopping in the Ninth Circle of Hell, so I will be happy to avoid the experience, anyway.

Best Buy has a rather nice looking SteelBook (with 3D and 2D discs) but at $29.99, it is $7 more expensive than the 2D, and I don't know if I would use the 3D disc.

On top of that, the release date in the USA is September 9th.

On the other hand, international regions are getting this a few weeks sooner, including the UK, which is getting their editions on August 18th, and Germany, which is receiving its copies on August 14th. The only concern with German versions is having to enable the English subtitles for the non-English dialogue in the film.

The UK edition, however, is suitably tempting. It doesn't hurt that the 3D combo is only £2 more than the 2D edition. In fact, the 3D version works out to $30 shipped from Amazon.co.uk. An added benefit is no useless digital copy, which is a format I loathe to support.

Also disappointed to see no Marvel One-Shot with this release on any edition.

Still, a good movie, with incredible action, and what should be a great 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio track, plus Robert Redford (and Ms, Augitter, for good measure). Hoping it's even better the second time round.

I believe the UK 3D set is pre-ordered.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
McCrutchy said:
Just wanted to bump this thread because the Blu-ray is out soon.

Unfortunately, not the banner release I was hoping for in the USA.

It looks like Target has at least one extra featurette, which is probably not on the disc (digital acquisition). It doesn't look like this "Behind the Lens" featurette will be available anywhere else, which is annoying. Not coincidentally, shopping for Blu-ray or Blu-ray 3D at Target is like shopping in the Ninth Circle of Hell, so I will be happy to avoid the experience, anyway.

Best Buy has a rather nice looking SteelBook (with 3D and 2D discs) but at $29.99, it is $7 more expensive than the 2D, and I don't know if I would use the 3D disc.

On top of that, the release date in the USA is September 9th.

On the other hand, international regions are getting this a few weeks sooner, including the UK, which is getting their editions on August 18th, and Germany, which is receiving its copies on August 14th. The only concern with German versions is having to enable the English subtitles for the non-English dialogue in the film.

The UK edition, however, is suitably tempting. It doesn't hurt that the 3D combo is only £2 more than the 2D edition. In fact, the 3D version works out to $30 shipped from Amazon.co.uk. An added benefit is no useless digital copy, which is a format I loathe to support.

Also disappointed to see no Marvel One-Shot with this release on any edition.

Still, a good movie, with incredible action, and what should be a great 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio track, plus Robert Redford (and Ms, Augitter, for good measure). Hoping it's even better the second time round.

I believe the UK 3D set is pre-ordered.
Well, I'm getting the 3D release. However, I differ from you because I want the digital copy which is why I won't be buying it from the UK. I like the convenience of watching my HD digital copy by the push of a few buttons on my remote.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
Has there been any explanation on why this isn't available from Amazon?
Looks like Amazon is doing another Warner negotiation with Disney.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, but Amazon's hand is showing, since they have not pulled pre-orders for any of Disney's animated titles. But enough's enough. This bullshit has to stop.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
amazon.ca has the 3D+2D+DC for $2 more than the 2D, pre-orderable. You may not like the price, but it's about the same as the UK 3D+2D.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Robert Crawford said:
I stopped ordering from Amazon when they started charging me sales tax, and nonsense like this is why I don't think I'll be returning anytime soon. It seems like every time we turn around, Amazon has knocked over some other kid's sand castle. First Hachette, then WB, now Disney, and I'm sure there have been others recently as well. This is the glorious wave of the future for online shopping.

From my perspective, If I'm going to have to pay sales tax, I might as well get out of my house, and support a local brick and mortar like Best Buy or Barnes and Noble (or their web sites), because at least there I can hold the item in my hands before I buy it. In fact, thanks to B&N, Best Buy, FoxConnect, Wal-Mart (in a pinch) and WBShop, I really have not missed Amazon.com at all.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Stephen_J_H said:
B&N, yes; Best Buy, not so much. Their physical media selection is rather anemic as of late.
In comparison to what it was, yes.

In comparison to other B&Ms, no.

At least in my area, you still simply can't beat the Blu-ray variety and the prices from Best Buy, along with the fact that they will do online price matching. Wally World wants the circular in-hand and refuses to price-match otherwise. And Wally World are loathe to stock Blu-rays, unless they are from Echo Bridge, or can be had for $7 or less in a bin.

B&N get brownie points for those Criterion and Art House sales, but they always remove slipcovers, which is annoying, and their general prices are insane.

Now, sometimes I have found that FYE gets some titles that others don't, but their stores are now so few and far between that it's not worth the journey.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
McCrutchy said:
I stopped ordering from Amazon when they started charging me sales tax,
The government collects it's taxes, here in the UK we pay 20% VAT, you got it easy by comparison. ;) :)

Even taking into account 20% VAT the prices on Amazon are very good in the UK and having checked out the USA version i find the prices are not so bad over there either, i also think Amazon's 30 day return period is great and customer service also good.

As for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, filmed in 2D and converted to 2.5D, i'll buy and watch it in 2D.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
FoxyMulder said:
The government collects it's taxes, here in the UK we pay 20% VAT, you got it easy by comparison. ;) :)

Even taking into account 20% VAT the prices on Amazon are very good in the UK and having checked out the USA version i find the prices are not so bad over there either, i also think Amazon's 30 day return period is great and customer service also good.

As for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, filmed in 2D and converted to 2.5D, i'll buy and watch it in 2D.
Yes, but Amazon.com is a special case.

And that's why I love Amazon.co.uk. No VAT charged here. :)

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
What's sad is Amazon will not accept preorders for the "Captain America: Winter Soldier" Blu-ray but they will allow "reviews" like this for the companion "Art of..." Book: http://www.amazon.com/review/R34ZO26LCNZDRR/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0785184449 . What's sad, I kept complaining about this "Review" (along with other "Reviews" by the same guy) and I received an email stating (I kid you not) "This review does NOT violate Amazon's standards and we will NOT pursue any action regarding this review".

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw this idiots review on another movie. There were multiple comments criticizing him. One comment pointed out his other reviews indicate he's one weird puppy. I guess he thinks he's a writer and now he's published.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
James_Garner said:
What's sad is Amazon will not accept preorders for the "Captain America: Winter Soldier" Blu-ray but they will allow "reviews" like this for the companion "Art of..." Book: http://www.amazon.com/review/R34ZO26LCNZDRR/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0785184449 . What's sad, I kept complaining about this "Review" (along with other "Reviews" by the same guy) and I received an email stating (I kid you not) "This review does NOT violate Amazon's standards and we will NOT pursue any action regarding this review".
"6 of 101 people found the following review helpful" - and that's not enough to tell Amazon they should delete it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks