What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Camelot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
NY2LA said:
Frankly I think that reflects more negatively on HIM than her, doncha think?

I actually haven't thought about it and really don't care either way. I was just passing on information from Harris's book on why he almost didn't take the role

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Dvd Beaver has a review up, and based on his glowing report I just happen to have found one today locally a bit early ( always nice ) at my favorite place . I will try to view it this weekend on the big screen. Hope it looks as good as he says it does. I do enjoy watching a production such as this on blu ray that I was never even really aware of. I thought the booklet was well laid out and compliments the style of the film and the original poster is on one of the pages. Quite a few nice photographs.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Does anyone know the difference between the Digibook edition being released tomorrow and the regular Blu-ray version being released in July? Are the same extras on both versions?
Thanks

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
MarkA said:
Does anyone know the difference between the Digibook edition being released tomorrow and the regular Blu-ray version being released in July? Are the same extras on both versions?
Thanks 
An educated guess would be that it will be the BD disc by itself (sans book and CD sampler) It's highly unlikely that they are going to produce another Blu-ray disc with less extras on it.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Greg Pasqua mentions the OVerture was different.
Not quite. the pre film Overture is the same as it is now.
the Main title was originally different. Instead of the orchestra playing the title song, it was a soft version of Follow Me. this version NEVER got to the public.
In fact, that version was reused as background music. It is heard in the second half of the film, when Merlin first appears to Arthur in the forest.
You can pull Newmans physical scores at usa and the tile (still) for the scene is Main title - first version.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Well, I came home early today to take a look at this, which has always been one of my favorites. The first time I saw CAMELOT was a well-used 35mm print on the "moderately" large screen at my neighborhood cinema in 1976 and I loved it; I thought it was the most sensuous film I had ever seen (Vanessa's bosom heaving as she whispers "The Lusty Month of May"; the beautifully photographed and composed love montage). I have to say that the blu-ray looks like film to my eye, which I like and takes me back to that first viewing. In the early 1990s I saw a screening at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood which was rather grainy and soft on that huge screen and, unfortunately, in mono sound.
Which brings me to my main reason for this post - the blu-ray does NOT include the music-only track, so for those to whom that is important, do NOT discard your previous DVD!
But My God what glorious music! However, the CD sampler is useless. All of us who love this film have had the CD since it came out in 1990 and this sampler is taken directly from that and offers nothing new. What I would buy is one of Rhino's special expanded soundtrack editions. Seeing as they deemed the music-only track unworthy for this video release, a remastered, expanded CD certainly would be welcome and I would gladly pay for it.
I have listened to about 30 minutes of the new commentary track by Stephen Farber and it is reasonably interesting, however, his voice sounds strained and I have a bit of a raspy throat now after listening to it. Neither here nor there, but three hours of that - I don't know - but it must be a daunting task to prepare a 3-hour commentary, holy cow!
I noticed things I hadn't before, such as the extraordinary textures and colors of the fabrics and fascinating set decorations.
I somehow wish the blu-ray was just a notch better somehow, but I am not disappointed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mine shipped tonight! I am so excited because I have never seen this film. I have caught bits and pieces over the years, but I haven't seen a frame of it in many years.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Regarding the discussions about the different versions of the soundtrack, after watching the entire movie through last night, I believe I did hear an error, although I no longer have any reference material to check to be sure. During the Tom of Warwick sequence at the end, Arthur knights Tom and the choir sings the word "Camelot". In this edition, that is the last of the choir until the very end, "..don't let it be forgot..." etc. I believe the choir should sing two more "Camelot"s after the first one, but here they are just instrumental.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Now that the disc has been released, can someone who is familiar with the various "mixes" of the soundtrack tell us if they are at long last using the correct one, or one that is close to the correct one?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by KPmusmag /t/319939/a-few-words-about-camelot-in-blu-ray/60#post_3919879
Regarding the discussions about the different versions of the soundtrack, after watching the entire movie through last night, I believe I did hear an error, although I no longer have any reference material to check to be sure. During the Tom of Warwick sequence at the end, Arthur knights Tom and the choir sings the word "Camelot". In this edition, that is the last of the choir until the very end, "..don't let it be forgot..." etc. I believe the choir should sing two more "Camelot"s after the first one, but here they are just instrumental.

One thing to consider is that the prior version DVD may not be the original track as some have reported. The Original Roadshow tracks may not have included the choir at the end but the last DVD may have. The Blu-ray may be the correct tracks for all we know and the choir may not be there for that reason. Just something to consider

I have seen some musical films when they opened in New York in the late 70's and 80's and different theaters had differences in the sound tracks (minor differences). Not all prints contained the same soundtracks surrounds

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the previous dvd doesw NOT have the additional choir.
the choirs is heard twice.
One - Tom odf Warwick is knighted.
two - Tom runs through the morning mist while Arthur shouts RUN!!
the number two is missing from the old dvd remix.
Is this still not on the new blu-ray?
If not, we are listening to another remix and NOT the original track again.
I have not received my copy yet, so I do not know.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
That's what I'm asking. Someone who knows the correct mix must promise to update us soon. None of the reviewers seem familiar enough to know what is changed. One thing I always noted was that I had a long ago vhs version that had a "crash" sound effect during "Take Me To The Fair" when the spear was thrown. However, all of the subsequent releases have the "clang" sound of a spear being dropped to the floor. I've never known which was "correct".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why do they go through the trouble to make so many new mixes on this one film, with such disparate changes? What happened to the original four-track mix? One would think they'd just use that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm afraid on this one I'll have to disagree with my friend Mr. Harris. It's a lovely orange and brown transfer, typical of the Warners color palette of now. It's almost completely sepia all the way through, and it isn't what it looked like back in the day, I'm afraid. I'm sure there are 35mm dye transfer prints around, and I can assure you they don't look like this Blu-ray. I found it almost like a tinted silent movie. I wish they'd get off this yellow/brown/orange thing at Warners, and it makes me quake in my boots about Singin' in the Rain.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hmm, well I made an attempt to buy this at Target. They did not have one single copy. I asked a clerk about it; they thought I was talking about the current television series "Camelot," and they didn't have that either. They did have about 40+ copies of some Mark Wahlberg movie (can't remember the title because I do not care). Nobody was buying the Mark Wahlberg movie, and I didn't buy Camelot, so there you are. Now you see why I hardly ever go shopping anymore.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I agree about the brown tones in the screen captures I saw at dvdbeaver. Music Man was the same...warm and brown, which does seem to be a trend in blu-ray classics so far.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jefferson said:
I agree about the brown tones in the screen captures I saw at dvdbeaver. Music Man was the same...warm and brown, which does seem to be a trend in blu-ray classics so far.
Yes, it's The Yellow Music Man. It's really a shame because this is going to be it for a very long time - and it doesn't have to be this way. They obviously take the time to do excellent transfers, but clearly one person over there likes this look - unfortunately, it has nothing to do with how these films originally looked.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
OK. My disc arrived by mail this morning. I agree with comments above about the color palette tending toward "brown", more than I have seen in the past. I will not deny that it has never been a film of bandbox colors, but it does indeed lean toward the brown tones present in other Warner classic blu-rays. As to the sound, it sounds to me identical to the mix on the previous dvd. Would love to hear others take on that, but to my ears, it is the same one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks