A Few Words About A few words about...™ Camelot -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
  2. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris.
    Camelot is another favorite of mine. Very pleased to read the blu ray
    is a good one.

3. Guest

I've never seen all of it...will be happy to add this. Already pre-ordered.

4. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Anyone want to talk about the extras as compared to the previous DVD?
    I would have preferred Warners keep the original key art for the cover and menus. Bob Peak was a master and I prefer his classic Movie Poster work to publicity shots that make a cover look alike a magazine.

5. Guest

I don't really pay much attention to the cover and menus. I would rather have a fantastic transfer...However, I think the cover for this is fine.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Looking forward to owning a decent release of this film. It will never be the great rendition of that magnificent score that it could have been, but the acting is solid and the production itself quite grand.

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

After reading Mr. Harris' review, I immediately placed my pre-order. I've owned the DVD for years, but it always appeared "edgy" -- so I'm really looking forward to a proper presentation.
    My "Great Musicals on Blu" collection is *finally* starting to fill-in! Now if we could just get a decent "My Fair Lady" on Blu one of these days ... *sigh*

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I think somebody needs to correct the image associated with this thread on the home page.
    Looking forward to this release. Been wanting to watch this movie but not enough to put in the old lacking DVD on my shelf.

9. jseabough

jseabough Agent

can't wait to get it. I have always loved this movie.

10. Guest

Yes, wrong image; where's Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave??

11. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

I just don't understand why WB or for that matter any of the Co's would not used Bob Peak, Saul Bass et al original artwork. It can't be that they believe they will sell more copies with just Richard Harris' portrait on the cover. Could they?

12. WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK Second Unit

Biff
    My guess is that the marketers at WB want to differentiate the blu-ray from previous home video releases by using new cover art. However, I agree with you completely. I wish all home videos used original poster art for their covers. Ultimately though, what matters most is what's on the disc. But how frustrating is it that near perfect film versions of two Broadway musicals were botched on blu-ray (West Side Story and My Fair Lady) while the very flawed Camelot is done up right? Oh well... despite its significant problems I've always enjoyed the movie version of Camelot, so I'm still happy with Mr. Harris's report (Robert, that is... not Richard ;-))

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I find it humorous and sad that the WAC uses original poster art whenever they can and the mass market division will use anything but original art. I guess they are trying to give the product a sense of being current with the big head look. Instead of standing out on any racks at a B&M store, it will blend in with the rest of the titles. That being said, I have never purchased a title based on the cover art work. The title goes on the shelf and all you see is the spine. It is always the transfer that matters.

14. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Oddly enough, though, even before the Archives, WB was using quite a bit of original poster-derived art on their mass-market DVDs. I was recently rearranging stuff on some shelves, and was amazed to find it on a number of items I hadn't looked at in a while. It's equally jarring (but oh so pleasurable) to find it in stores such as B&N that still carry a decent selection of titles.

And now we're well off-topic!

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Yes, Robert, not Richard.

Interestingly, but not without a downside, he and I were staying at the same hotel in LA back in the early 1980s. Our days didn't quite match up as far as working hours. Mine would begin around 5:30 - 6 AM. His a bit later.

What I noticed was that my phone wouldn't ring quite a bit of the time in the morning, and I finally asked about it.

Seems Richard, not Robert, would arrive back at the hotel at some ungodly hour, usually with a lovely friend, and he would call the operator, saying, "This is Mr. Harris. No calls before..."

Because they didn't know which it was, I had some very quiet mornings.

Very talented and interesting gentleman, and a loss for the filmmaking community.

RAH

16. John Skoda

John Skoda Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I want to know about this too. In particular, I want to know if the blu will include the complete isolated music track that was on the DVD.

17. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Thanks for responding. The surprise here is that Warners have generally the best track record for keeping the original key art (or really close to it) far beyond any other studio.
    Yeah an argument can be made that they may have wanted to differentiate from a previous version, but that still would not preclude using the original as there are many possible variations. Also, look at their track record for holding to the key art or previous art on subsequent editions of other titles. So there isn't a clear reason for this choice unless someone new is in charge in their art department.

18. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

Or the long TV program broadcast from the premiere. Lots of movies had them on both coasts (MAME, anyone?) but rarely are they included.

19. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    Does Camelot open with the original WB logo?

20. NY2LA

NY2LA Screenwriter

I bet RAH can answer that.