A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cabaret -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Yes, I was pretty much done with that old dvd. This one blows it away! And I felt the film had more overall dramatic impact, properly presented here, as it is. 5 Stars, folks! 5 Stars!

cannon1 likes this.
  2. telzall

telzall Stunt Coordinator

second star to the right; straight on til morning
    joe
    "Cinema firmament". Are you paraphrasing Lena Lamont in "Singin' in The Rain"?
    I, too, find that scene at the outside beer garden most chilling!
    Thank you for your guidance and insights of blu-ray releases. "Most illuminating."

3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Apologies for resurrecting a thread that was put to bed two years ago, but since there has been a lot of discussion about Cabaret’s long lost stereo soundtrack in this thread, I chose to post here.

While the Blu-ray’s attempt to remix Cabaret’s soundtrack from mono dialog and music/effects tracks is admirable, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of true stereo separation. So I decided to buy the soundtrack album just so I could hear the songs in true stereo. As a rule, I use Pro-logic to listen to everything, whether it was originally encoded in Dolby Surround or not. Older stereo recordings will have a bit of ambient music that will bleed into the surround channels, but nothing major. The first thing I noticed with Cabaret was that the surround channels were hugely active with unique instrumentation. This wasn’t typical bleed-through, but an active surround encoding. I wondered how this could be. Then I remembered that 1972 was when quadraphonic recording was quite a fad. I believe the soundtrack album may have been mixed with either SQ or QS encoding and that that encoding has actually managed to survive the transition to the digital release of the album. There doesn’t appear to be any extant information about the process of the mixing and release of the original soundtrack album. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    That is weird!

Incidentally, I noticed earlier in the thread that someone mentioned Triumph of the Will being a Weimar-era film, which is not accurate. The Weimar Republic ended in 1933, while TotW was shot in 1934 and released in 1935. The Nazis were fully in control at that point.

Will Krupp and AshJW like this.