What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Band of Brothers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Damn - this is a great TV series and damn- it looked good on Blu-ray. I´m glad I waited for this one (I have the old DVD set, tough - Blu-ray was my third time when I saw the series).

Damian Lewis was just PERFECT in his role, and so were Ron Livingston, Neal McDonough and Donnie Wahlberg.. and Frank John Hughes, Matthew Settle... Damn!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Has anyone else noted audio sync issues with any of the episodes in this set? I picked it up last week and watched the first two episodes yesterday, but am watching episode 3 (Carentan) now and am seeing some pretty obvious audio sync problems. I ran a quick Google search and have seen it reported a few other places, but no major sites.

I'm using a Sony PS3 as my player; audio is being fed through HDMI to an Onkyo receiver which doesn't have DTS-MA capability and is decoding only the DTS core. (Possible cause?) The player has the latest firmware revision.

I didn't see any problems in the first two eps and just wondered if anyone else has reported this problem. I can't imagine it's widespread or there'd be a lot more info online, plus news about a disc recall/replacement program, none of which I've found.

Just curious!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I didn't notice anything off when I watched the set over the summer. Any moments in particular?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I did not have any audio sync issues with this title on my setup -- a Sony BDP-S350 player attached to a Pioneer Elite 94TXH receiver via HDMI, listening to the hi-res audio track.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I had no plans to get it despite it being one of my favorite shows on DVD. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. But I just couldn't pass up $38 at Best Buy last week

its actually money REALLY well spent - I was a huge fan on the series on DVD, had not seen it for a long while and got to about Episode 4 on DVD and noticed a killer deal a big on-line retailer was doing for the Blu set and pulled the trigger

soon got the Blu-Ray box set and was blown away with the incredible increase in detail and depth in picture quality compared to many "movies" I have traded in on DVD for Blu-Rays, and the special features (specifically picture in picture of the veterans talking about experiences whilst the feature runs in the background)

I'm strongly recommending any friends with Blu-Ray players or PS3 get this boxset!

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by Ray H

I didn't notice anything off when I watched the set over the summer. Any moments in particular?
Pretty much all of Episode 3 was off. The sound would appear up to half a second before the onscreen action. I'd never seen a sync issue before on any of the discs I'd played, and episodes 1 and 2 were fine. Episode 4 was also fine. Haven't gotten to the others yet.

I suppose I could live with it if it's just the one. If "Bastogne" and "The Breaking Point" have similar issues, though, I shall be very put out.

cheers,
Phil

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Phil Carter

Has anyone else noted audio sync issues with any of the episodes in this set? I picked it up last week and watched the first two episodes yesterday, but am watching episode 3 (Carentan) now and am seeing some pretty obvious audio sync problems. I ran a quick Google search and have seen it reported a few other places, but no major sites.

I'm using a Sony PS3 as my player; audio is being fed through HDMI to an Onkyo receiver which doesn't have DTS-MA capability and is decoding only the DTS core. (Possible cause?) The player has the latest firmware revision.

I didn't see any problems in the first two eps and just wondered if anyone else has reported this problem. I can't imagine it's widespread or there'd be a lot more info online, plus news about a disc recall/replacement program, none of which I've found.

Just curious!
I don't remember having any noticeable audio sync problem either when I watched my set soon after it was released.

I have a PS3 and let it decode the DTS-HD/MA into MPCM (ie. multi-channel PCM) to be passed to my Yammy 663 via HDMI. Can't remember what software version I was using at the time, but it was probably either the first version that included DTS-HD/MA decoding or maybe the next version after that -- I don't like to "fix what ain't broke", so I don't regularly update the software.

Can't your Onkyo handle MPCM via HDMI? If it can, you're probably better off letting the PS3 decode to that instead -- the PS3 doesn't bitstream DTS-HD/MA (nor Dolby TrueHD) anyway.

_Man_

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Can't your Onkyo handle MPCM via HDMI? If it can, you're probably better off letting the PS3 decode to that instead -- the PS3 doesn't bitstream DTS-HD/MA (nor Dolby TrueHD) anyway.
Regrettably, it does not -- the PS3 is outputting via optical audio cable and outputting only Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. The receiver doesn't even have HDMI inputs.

(I upgraded piecemeal last year -- first a new high-def TV, followed quickly by the PS3 for Blu-ray support. Haven't yet made the jump to high-def audio because A) I don't have a great set of speakers and B) my hearing is not all that great -- tinnitus issues after too many years of rock concerts. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between DTS and DTS-MA). :)

Glad to hear it's not the set. I figured there'd be a lot more complaints if the set were at fault. Maybe this is the excuse I need to get some nice floorstanding speakers and a new receiver that supports the new audio standards. :)

Thanks!

Jmobie

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Phil Carter

Pretty much all of Episode 3 was off. The sound would appear up to half a second before the onscreen action. I'd never seen a sync issue before on any of the discs I'd played, and episodes 1 and 2 were fine. Episode 4 was also fine. Haven't gotten to the others yet.

I suppose I could live with it if it's just the one. If "Bastogne" and "The Breaking Point" have similar issues, though, I shall be very put out.

cheers,
Phil
Phil, I joined this Home Theater Forum just now to say that I also have issues with episode 3. It is really annoying. I must have not noticed it the first time, but when I wanted to play it for a friend a second time, I couldn't stop thinking about what was causing this issue. The first two times, I had played this episode on a Samsung LN-T3732H 720p LCD, with a 5.1 analog connection between a Sony receiver and Sony BDP-S550. I've just tried to play episode 3 again our family's new setup (Sony KDL-46W5100, Sony BDP-S560, Yamaha RX-V663), and the lip-sync problem is still there. Since you also have a Sony player, it might be a Sony firmware issue, or the disc.

Our family does have another Blu-ray player, a Samsung BD-P1590. I'll try it out on this player, and let you know what happens soon.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Hi - sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has), but can anyone confirm that the UK release is the same as the US release for this? The UK release is always super, super cheap on eBay and even Amazon, while the US release remains high in price. If they're identical, I'll just get the UK one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks