What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bad Moon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's a terrible thing when a loved one is bitten by a werewolf.

It's also a terrible thing when a film produced in the mid-1990s can't match the special effects and make-up that you'll find in half century older Universal horror films. It's not easy competing with the work of Universal's Jack Pierce, and cinematic magic.

For those who love this film, and I know you're out there, Shout Factory has provided a gorgeous Blu-ray, which probably makes the film look better than it did in 1996.

Everyone needs a dog like Thor to keep the wolves at bay.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's a terrible thing when a loved one is bitten by a werewolf.

It's also a terrible thing when a film produced in the mid-1990s can't match the special effects and make-up that you'll find in half century older Universal horror films. It's not easy competing with the work of Universal's Jack Pierce, and cinematic magic.

For those who love this film, and I know you're out there, Shout Factory has provided a gorgeous Blu-ray, which probably makes the film look better than it did in 1996.

Everyone needs a dog like Thor to keep the wolves at bay.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH
I haven't seen BAD MOON yet, but I never cared for Jack Pierce's wolf man makeup. It looks like crepe hair, and I'm sorry Chaney had to endure such long application sessions just so he could resemble a geek freak at a carnival. Nothing the least bit frightening about it...puppy dog coiffure, I like Pierce's Frankenstein and Mummy make-ups, but his Wolf Man looks too well-groomed and frankly very unscary. IMHP, of course.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I haven't seen BAD MOON yet, but I never cared for Jack Pierce's wolf man makeup. It looks like crepe hair, and I'm sorry Chaney had to endure such long application sessions just so he could resemble a geek freak at a carnival. Nothing the least bit frightening about it...puppy dog coiffure, I like Pierce's Frankenstein and Mummy make-ups, but his Wolf Man looks too well-groomed and frankly very unscary. IMHP, of course.

And the transitions, especially as compared to Mamoulian's Dr. Jekyll? Very interesting dueling technologies to attain the fx.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Bad Moon for the first time over the weekend and enjoyed it very much. The image looked terrific, and Michael Pare and Thor were great. I thought the werewolf seemed costumey, but the facial expressions were a nice touch. In the extras, the filmmakers thought they did a great job on the creature, except the transformation scene which they acknowledge is bad and removed from the Director's cut. My favorite werewolf transformation is still Eddie Quist in The Howling. When I was little, Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf was my first ever horror film and gave me nightmares for weeks. I should never have revisited it years later and spoiled the mystique.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bad Moon is my favorite werewolf. It just looks evil and badass, as a werewolf should.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Best transformation still goes to American Werewolf in London. Can't wait for Universal's remaster of that one.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh bite your tongue, er, keyboard. ;) The hair looks fine to me and I try to imagine myself watching with a 1940's audience. Of course the effects are dated but I still love the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks