A Few Words About A few words about...™ Astaire and Rogers - Partners in Rhythm

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Lurking within the new Astaire / Rogers II set from Warner, and packaged with a CD of some of the most famous musical numbers from their films, is a feature length documentary entitled Astaire and Rogers - Partners in Rhythm.

Encompassing early history, along with their careers together through Barkleys, Partners is a quality work that could easily find sales on its own. While the film is a simple composite of stills, film footage and "talking head" interviews running the gamut from familiar faces like Peter Bogdanovich to more unique words from Joan Leslie and Hermes Pan, its sum is greater than the a simple composite of its parts. I found the most interesting discussion coming from Michael Feinstein, as he explains the background to some of most memorable music in the A/R pantheon.

I seldom break out an individual part of a boxed set for discussion, but in the case of Rhythm, it is not to be overlooked.

RAH

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I thought this doc was only part of the expanded 11 title Ultimate Edition - but you say you got your with the new Volume Two?

3. Ken Horowitz

Ken Horowitz Agent

Does this doc compliment, rather than repeat, the extras on the individual discs? What sticks with me from the doc on the "Shall We Dance" disc, Feinstein talks about George noodling around at the piano, and Ira saying, "hey George, add one more note and I can use 'The way you wear your hat'," and that's how they started "They Can't Take That Away from Me."

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Some of the same footage has been used.

The documentary was in the second set as packaged with five empty thin paks for the earlier discs.

RAH

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Sounds like Amazon.com's Exclusive Astaire & Rogers Partial Ultimate Collector's Edition (Flying Down to Rio / The Gay Divorcee / Roberta / Carefree / The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle) (1933)

6. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i just pre-ordered my partial set.

7. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I ordered my Partial set from Amazon, and it has shipped, but they're saying it won't arrive until October 31.

Bummer.

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Since rather recently, Amazon started "playing it safe", by stating a longer period for the shipping process to complete. If it has shipped, you'll have it before Oct 31, trust me (unless you happen to be living in Antarctica at the moment [​IMG] ).

Cees

9. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

Just as an FYI, my Partial Ultimate Edition set arrived from Amazon this afternoon (Los Angeles area), quite a few days earlier than their claimed "estimated arrival date."

Frankly, I was extremely surprised to have received this already, especially since I chose the free USPS Media Mail shipping option. My copy shipped on Saturday, no mail on Sunday, and arrived today?!? Whoa!

Therefore, if your copy has already shipped, I'd say to expect its arrival very shortly.

And by the way, this is an absolutely outstanding set!

Regards to all…