What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ash vs Evil Dead: Season One -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fans of Sam Raimi's 35 year-old creation, which made a phenomenon of then 23 year-old Bruce Campbell, returned last year courtesy of Starz, as a ten episode, 30 minutes series. It's now entering its sophomore year with ten more, which should thrill new and old fans alike.

The original film had a myriad of home video incarnations, and then there's Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness. Going back to the early days of home video software, there were special editions, inclusive of a DVD covered with the actual Book of the Dead, which I would suggest not opening.

If the original Evil Dead films were just plain fun, the series, given the lack of time constraints take it a step further, and its all to the better.

Shot with an Alexa, and presented in Dolby True HD 7.1, the series both looks and sounds amazing.

For those who appreciate quality packaging, the new Blu-ray, courtesy of Anchor Bay comes encased in a a slipcover, emblazoned with a striking negative / positive image of Ash ready for business, chainsaw in hand. I usually drop slipcovers into the nearest trash receptacle, but this one's a keeper.

A terrific series, that played well in broadcast, but which takes on a life of its own via Blu-ray with superb audio and video, allowing an up-rez to 4k to shine.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
This series is a triumph. I've been a fan since the theatrical release of the first "Evil Dead", and I've accumulated a sizable library of reissues of the movies on home video. A TV series could have been a disaster and a huge disappointment, but Bruce Campbell and company did us fans proud. Hail to the King, baby!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I loved the start of this! Didn't get to see the whole series so I've been patiently waiting for this release. It looked great and sounded great on cable, so I can't wait to see the bluray version.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. I don't how I feel about this show. I loved the first episode, the second was OK, 3-5 were a chore for me to get through. Episodes 6, and 7 were great again(great scares, and Ash written very well), and restored my interest in the show, and the final episodes again left a lot to be desired. I have never been this mixed on a series either I like it or I don't, but given the charms of Bruce Campbell( and being a fan of the Evil Dead films) it is hard for me to ignore it.
I might revisit it on Blu-Ray.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Fantastic commentary tracks.
I'll have to check these out. I've watched the Comic Con vids on YouTube and they were pretty entertaining, I'm sure these tracks are a lot of fun.

The first episode is my favorite. Great picture, great use of surround, great introduction to the new characters, just a great start to the series. I think it's the only episode that Sam Raimi directed and in my opinion, it shows. It's not that the other episodes weren't good, but they had a slightly different feel.

The last couple of episodes were great.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
If you do open the Book of the Dead DVD case, as I did, just remember that the third word of the dark incantation you'll need to secure it again is... uh... Nickel. No, wait, Necktie? Oh shoot, I know it's an N-word... Maybe try mumbling it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I forget, do I move my lips when I read? I guess I'll find out soon enough...
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I finally got around to watching this. Holy crap, what a great show. Worthy to put next to my Evil Dead DVD incarnations.

After belly-laughing like a toddler through several episodes, I checked Rotten Tomatoes and it's 99%. Tuck that rating right into your cleavage, which I definitely have not ever noticed before.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching this. Holy crap, what a great show. Worthy to put next to my Evil Dead DVD incarnations.

After belly-laughing like a toddler through several episodes, I checked Rotten Tomatoes and it's 99%. Tuck that rating right into your cleavage, which I definitely have not ever noticed before.
If you haven't seen S2 yet, the show gets even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks