What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Apocalypse Now -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Quick question: does the AN blu-ray have all the extras from the Complete Dossier DVD AND the Hearts of a Darkness DVD? Considering getting rid of the DVDs but want to make sure everything is there. Thanks for any info.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Looking at the sole HBO cap shown here, it looks boosted and is cropped to 1.78:1. Apples and oranges. I'll get around to buying the BD eventually.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sam Favate said:
Quick question: does the AN blu-ray have all the extras from the Complete Dossier DVD AND the Hearts of a Darkness DVD? Considering getting rid of the DVDs but want to make sure everything is there. Thanks for any info.
I can tell you what is included in the "Full Disclosure Blu-ray":

Disc One
Apocalypse Now - The 1979 Cut
Apocalypse Now Redux
Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola

Disc Two
A Conversation with Martin Sheen
An Interview with John Milius
"Monkey Sampan" Deleted Scene
Additional Scenes
Destruction of the Kurtz Compound
"Heart of Darkness" Reading by Orson Welles
"The Hollow Men"
The Birth of 5.1 Sound
Ghost Helicopter Flyover
A Million feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now
The Music of Apocalypse Now
The Synthesizer Soundtrack
Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now
The Final Mix
Apocalypse Then and Now
2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola
PBR Streetgang
The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now

Disc Three
Hearts of Darkness: a Filmmaker's Apocalypse (Feature-length Documentary)
Audio commentary with Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola
John Milius Script Selections with Notes by Francis Ford Coppola
Storyboard Gallery
Photo Archive
Marketing Archive

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Forgive the cut-and-paste, but this is all I have time for at the moment:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3761/apocalypse_disclosure.html
The Full Disclosure Edition Blu-ray carries over almost all of the bonus features from Paramount's Complete Dossier DVD set released in 2006, plus a few that were only found on the older separate DVDs for the theatrical and 'Redux' versions of the movie, or a bonus DVD exclusive to the now-defunct Circuit City retail chain.

The Cutting Room Floor: What Didn't Make the Blu-ray?

A few items from the Complete Dossier DVD didn't make the way over to Blu-ray. These include a video introduction from Francis Coppola, an icon track that designates new footage in the 'Redux' cut, and a 2001 trailer for 'Apocalypse Now Redux'.

The Complete Dossier DVD also offered several hidden Easter Egg features such as reproductions of letters from Coppola, crew memos, and a video clip where John Milius explains the origin of the phrase "Apocalypse Now". (Milius retells that story in the new interview with Coppola.) If these are also hidden somewhere on the Blu-ray, I didn't have the patience to seek them out.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Just thought I would drop in here a strong recommendation for the new documentary, MILIUS, which includes quite a lot of stuff on Apocalypse Now as well as being an exhaustive account of John's career and character as well as the tragic events of the last 3 years. I wish you well, Big John! The doco is available on DVD.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
AdrianTurner said:
Just thought I would drop in here a strong recommendation for the new documentary, MILIUS, which includes quite a lot of stuff on Apocalypse Now as well as being an exhaustive account of John's career and character as well as the tragic events of the last 3 years. I wish you well, Big John! The doco is available on DVD.
Adrian,

Thank you for highlighting this documentary. I always find Milius an interesting person to listen to, and I had no idea he had suffered a stroke recently. It would be a shame if he never gets to complete another film.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Apparently, John is on the mend and developing the biopic Genghis Khan, in which he wants Mel Gibson to direct; according to this article:
http://manlymovie.net/2014/04/milius-wants-mel-gibson-to-direct.html

I just watched Apocalypse Now recently in light of this month being the official 35th anniversary of the film's release. I saw the film upon its original release, sometime in the fall of '79. Most, if not all, of the Coppola involved restorations and their releases are fine pieces of work in the home video market. The sound track of this film blew me away. The granddaddy of all 5.1 soundtracks delivers on this Blu-ray, and holds up very well against modern mixes. The stories of Walter Murch and his sound design for the film are fascinating extras in the Full Disclosure set. The movie should be listened to at, or as close as possible to reference level. Fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks