What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Alien Anthology -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Seems as though Jean-Pierre Jeunet is none too thrilled with the Resurrection transfer:

http://www.jpjeunet-siteofficiel.com/blog/?p=321

[SIZE= 14px]Roughly translated:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]As for the Blu-ray of "ALIEN ANTHOLOGY," the ad says "In Blu-ray, everyone will hear you scream." They're right about that! Scream with rage! Contrary to reports, the filmmakers were not involved with the remastering, certainly not me...This Blu-ray has the quality of an average DVD.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10px] [/SIZE]

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's not as bad as a DVD but it certainly is nowhere near as good as it could have been, some scenes have the thin line around the frame of the image which is a sign of filtering and some scenes do not have this, i imagine this is the old master they are using, but he is wrong to say it's as bad as a DVD.

Shame really that they only bothered with the first two films but this way they can re-market the latter two films when they do get a new transfer made.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Worth said:
It's not as bad as a DVD but it certainly is nowhere near as good as it could have been, some scenes have the thin line around the frame of the image which is a sign of filtering and some scenes do not have this, i imagine this is the old master they are using, but he is wrong to say it's as bad as a DVD.

Shame really that they only bothered with the first two films but this way they can re-market the latter two films when they do get a new transfer made.
That's a shame, but don't think many -- certainly not I -- would go for yet another re-dip on this franchise just to get newly remastered versions of those 2 sequels. Most of us were already balking a fair bit about having to buy all 4 (again) in this latest boxset that's priced so high here in the USA...

_Man_

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Honestly, I don't understand why everyone hates Resurrection so much. I think it's fun & exciting, and I always enjoy watching it. Truthfully, I enjoy it a lot more than the original Alien, which seems slower and more boring every time I watch it.

Neither can hold a candle to Aliens, of course.

What specifically does everyone dislike about Resurrection?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
The only thing that I don't care for in Alien Resurrection is the newborn alien and the stuff relating to it. I wish they had used the Queen Alien for the climax of the movie. While that would basically be duplicating the end of Aliens, I think it would have been better than a Ripley/alien sex scene and a newborn mutant alien. Up until those scenes, I really enjoy the movie.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by cafink

To me, it's just really generic. There are some good things about it, but it doesn't have a vision anywhere near even 3, in my opinion. If you take Ripley out of it, it's not that different from the two AVP movies. It's just the first case of someone taking the easy road in this series, where the previous 3 all had someone with a unique vision steering things (3 had a vision, not saying it was well-executed).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
FoxyMulder said:
The only thing that I don't care for in Alien Resurrection is the newborn alien and the stuff relating to it. I wish they had used the Queen Alien for the climax of the movie. While that would basically be duplicating the end of Aliens, I think it would have been better than a Ripley/alien sex scene and a newborn mutant alien. Up until those scenes, I really enjoy the movie.
Well i am talking many years from now, not the immediate future.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Honestly, I don't understand why everyone hates Resurrection so much. I think it's fun & exciting, and I always enjoy watching it. Truthfully, I enjoy it a lot more than the original Alien, which seems slower and more boring every time I watch it.

Neither can hold a candle to Aliens, of course.

I don't hate Resurrection (though I do hate Alien 3), but it does not compare well, IMHO, to Alien or Aliens. Yes, Alien does take it's time setting a mood and building the tension, before any action occurs. They used to make movies like that. I'm never bored by Alien, from the moment the titles start setting up the spooky atmosphere to the empty Nostromo waking up.

I've never been able to decide which I like better, Alien or Aliens. They are such different movies. Cameron did a great job of making his movie, while still keeping the faith with Alien.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Again, the new effects work done for Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection probably made retransfers for those films impossible without spending alot of money to do it.

Sorry Jean Pierre-Jeunet.

PRO-630HD

Grip
Real Name
tim lamb
For the $140 msrp they should have done 4k scans of the negative and remastered all the titles. 3 and 4 look good but the price is way too high for dated 2K transfers.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Who's paying MSRP? No one. I bought the UK release for $57 shipped, and Amazon along with many other retailers is selling the US release for $90 all day long. While I agree that A3 and Resurrection could look better, using a price that no one is paying to make your point is, well, pointless.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quote:

Motherhood is the central theme for Ripley in Alien Resurrection and indeed that theme is featured in Aliens and Alien 3, Ripley is seen by the newborn as the mother hence she cries at the end when she has to do what she does to her "child."

I like Alien Resurrection, it's grown on me a lot over the years.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by dpippel
Who's paying MSRP? No one. I bought the UK release for $57 shipped, and Amazon along with many other retailers is selling the US release for $90 all day long. While I agree that A3 and Resurrection could look better, using a price that no one is paying to make your point is, well, pointless.

Agreed, it is about value. But, I think the poster has made the mental leap that the product is not being sold at MSRP and is commenting about a pricing structure that appears out-of-line with the time/effort/resources that went into it.

Each to his own. I bought the original Bond sets even though I was miffed about the 'buy them all to get the films you want' approach. After that, I bought the next Bond sets only because they became a positive net asset. I bought multiple sets at a great price and then resold the individual titles - - the end result being I have the full boxsets and made money on the deal. With the blu-rays? Looks like MGM went to the well once too often. Picked up FRWL, Dr. No and Thunderball for something like $6.99 apiece delivered. I can live with that.

The Alien boxset marketing strategy is not much different. Try to sucker people into going to the well one more time and buying the full boxsets to get the films they REALLY want and hope they won't be patient. Not me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Agreed, it is about value. But, I think the poster has made the mental leap that the product is not being sold at MSRP and is commenting about a pricing structure that appears out-of-line with the time/effort/resources that went into it.

That's exactly what I was commenting on. IMO the actual price being paid is all that's really relevant in a discussion about the value of the set.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I actually don't hate Alien 3 at all, and I may yet warm up to Alien Resurrection one of these days -- well, I actually haven't really given it another chance since seeing it in the theater (even though I bought both DVD boxsets before their prices hit rock bottom), so...

But yeah, I feel the ~$90 street price is too high for this set considering the main desire is to have the first 2 films. The

doink

Auditioning
Real Name
scooter bolton
Worth said:
Exactly my take on Resurrection.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

In no way is Alien Resurrection as bad as Jeunet claims either, it should have been the best looking of the set but Fox went cheap on us but still it's not dvd quality.

Yeah, it's not an amazing transfer but it's not a bad transfer either. I said this in another thread but until Jean-Pierre Jeunet complained, the worst criticism that I saw about the Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection transfers is that they didn't look as good as Alien or Aliens. Now that Jeunet said something as silly as that the transfer looked as bad as a DVD, many people are going to incorrectly remember the disc as some type of abomination.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm sure that somewhere in these threads is the answer to this question, but I'm going to take the lazy way out and ask it anyway:

After acquiring the Blu-ray set, if one has reasonable expectations of being a completist, is there any reason to hang on to the Quadrilogy (or the equivalent individual releases)? If memory serves correctly, the 20th anniversary DVD of Alien is necessary for the extra alternate soundtrack (?), and I think someone said the Alien Saga DVD has a little more than was ported over.

Obviously, one reason to retain them is if you need to play DVDs somewhere, but I'm declaring that a non-issue for me at this point, and I just want to be sure I'm not going to kick myself later for some reason once I've sent the Quad to a good home.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
I'm sure that somewhere in these threads is the answer to this question, but I'm going to take the lazy way out and ask it anyway:

After acquiring the Blu-ray set, if one has reasonable expectations of being a completist, is there any reason to hang on to the Quadrilogy (or the equivalent individual releases)? If memory serves correctly, the 20th anniversary DVD of Alien is necessary for the extra alternate soundtrack (?), and I think someone said the Alien Saga DVD has a little more than was ported over.

Obviously, one reason to retain them is if you need to play DVDs somewhere, but I'm declaring that a non-issue for me at this point, and I just want to be sure I'm not going to kick myself later for some reason once I've sent the Quad to a good home.
You got it correct. The only things not ported over are the production audio track from the first Alien disc (from 1999) and I haven't compared them yet but a few featurettes from Image's Alien Saga disc didn't get ported over. Everything from the Alien Quadrilogy has been ported over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks