A Few Words About A few words about...™ Adaptation -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There are some times when it's just easier to borrow from others.

Here's the first paragraph of Roger Ebert's review from December of 2002 regarding Spike Jonze's film of a screenplay by Charlie and Donald Kaufman, based on the book The Orchid Thief, by Susan Orlean.

What a bewilderingly brilliant and entertaining movie this is - a confounding story about orchid thieves and screenwriters, elegant New Yorkers and scruffy swamp rats, truth and fiction.

"Adaptation" is a movie that leaves you breathless with curiosity, as it teases itself with the directions it might take. To watch the film is to be actively involved in the challenge of creation.

I glad that I was able to rely on Mr. Ebert for those words, as I could not have said them.

Suffice to say, Adaptation is a miraculous film. A veritable trip through the process of screenwriting, and one of the most original films ever made.

There is nothing wrong with Sony turning a license to release Adaptation over to Image Entertainment, although I cannot understand why they wouldn't wish to take a shot at it themselves.

I just pleased that they did.

If you've read my notes regarding A Soldier's Story, the same thing holds true here.

Yet another perfectly produced Blu-ray from Columbia / Sony.

Buy this one. Especially at $15, it's a bargain. Sit back, view, and be confused and enthralled.

If you'd like to read Mr. Ebert's entire review, go here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20021220/REVIEWS/212200302

He has been, and remains, IMHO, the best reviewer writing today.

Highly Recommended.

RAH