What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Passage to India -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ever since I saw David Lean's A Passage to India for the first time some 25 years ago, I've wondered how different it might have appeared if it had been photographed in 65mm instead of 35 / 4 perf.

Captured within Ernest Day's magnificent cinematography are all of the long shots and details that would have been necessary to create that epic feel, but even in 35mm it still shows the hand of a master at large format.

Cutting to the chase, as some would say, A Passage to India looks beautiful as a Sony Blu-Ray.

The image and audio show off the technical attributes of the system while allowing the home video viewer to get a least a bit of understanding of what Passage looked like on the theatrical screen.

Is it perfect?

My personal preference would have been toward slightly less cyan-blue facial tonalities in the opening sequence, but aside from that the new transfer is a marvel.

Would DL have been pleased?

I believe so.

Those who have not yet experienced A Passage to India are advised to get their orders in early, as the initial pressing is apt to sell out quickly. This is one of those films that you'll want on Blu-ray.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm really trying to be patient in considering whether to go purple (I already have an A30). Mr. Harris, you're making it very difficult to be patient.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean, being in the same boat. But this is definitely a title that could make me jump. This is one of my favorite movies of all time.

HagenBlaz

Agent
Real Name
Bob
I have about 30 Blu-ray discs now, and Passage to India and 2001: A Space Odyssey are I think the ones that deliver the best film-like experience on Blu-ray. The transfers are great, and so are the films.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Watched this on friday witha group of friends.Great disc for a great film. Hadn't seen it for many years and then it was on SD dvd.Stands up really well. One of my friends who has always loved the film was totally over the moon with the disc.Said it looked far better than the original theatrical print he saw when the film was first released here in Sydney.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks