What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A League of Their Own -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always loved the title of this film, for its multi-angled approach.

As to the film itself, one of my favorites. Both a major sports oriented production, as well as an important film about women, and how they helped saved the sport of baseball during WWII. I willing to bet that very few baseball fans under the age of 25 are even aware that the league existed.

League is beautiful filmmaking at every level, thanks to Penny Marshall, her actors and crew.

I had little concern that this Blu-ray release, once it arrived would be perfect, like almost all other Columbia / Sony Blu-rays, and what I had presumed would be great, has materialized.

With an image harvested from a pristine 35mm interpositive, color, densities, shadow detail, black levels, grain structure are all perfect.

Audio is DTS-HD MA, and is likewise perfect.

Superb image. Check.

Superb audio. Check.

Director Approved. Check.

A great motion picture, presented perfectly on Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

For those who may never have experience this film, you're in a for a treat.

As an aside, and in sync with my love of not only baseball, but League, an image of something hanging on one of my walls -- acquired at a charity auction in Hollywood some years ago.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
One of my favorite movies about baseball, AND my favorite Penny Marshall-directed film...glad to hear Sony gave it the first class treatment, Robert. Thank you for such a highly favorable assessment of the blu-ray!!!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
So glad this was done well, Saw this at the theater as a young one a few times, then had the LD and DVD and now this.
Only dim spot for me is that only the original LD offered a wonderful documentary on the real AAGPBL and you saw many of the real players that the characters in the film were inspired by, and in fact I believe it was seeing this documentary film that inspired the making of this film itself, so truly a relevant extra.
Haven't sat down with this one for years and am now really looking forward to it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I, too, love this film. Thanks for the review, Robert.
Makes me sad that Penny Marshall, who showed so much promise early in her career with this and BIG and AWAKENINGS (after a huge misstep with JUMPIN' JACK FLASH), has managed to give us nothing especially memorable since. Kinds like what seems to have happened with Rob Reiner... well, countless directors, really.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Rob Reiner: This is Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, Misery, A Few Good Men, North, The American President, Ghosts of Mississippi, The Bucket List (2007) ... If he never makes another movie, that's a pretty impressive string. His legacy is quite secure, no matter what he does or doesn't do from here on out.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Moe Dickstein said:
Only dim spot for me is that only the original LD offered a wonderful documentary on the real AAGPBL and you saw many of the real players that the characters in the film were inspired by, and in fact I believe it was seeing this documentary film that inspired the making of this film itself, so truly a relevant extra.
Haven't sat down with this one for years and am now really looking forward to it.
I saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, and again at the Pacific 4 Cinemas at Sherman Oaks Galleria, the same theatre seen in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The former now looks nothing like it did then and the latter is long gone.
The doc on the laserdisc is indeed the first League of Their Own, the movie this feature was based on, featuring all the real women from AAWPBL. I thought the laserdisc was released by another company, but I can't imagine Sony didn't buy the rights to the doc when they produced the movie. It is definitely a loss not to have that with the extras. I imagine all the extras produced for the last DVD are on the Blu Ray, but there are several people not interviewed in those extras that I'd like to hear from.
Now I don't give a crap about spectator sports but I've had a soft spot in my heart for this film since I first saw it. Working at a studio years ago I met Megan Cavanaugh, ("...and how about Marla Hooch!") who is even more adorable in person. I also briefly met a pre-fame Rosie O'Donnell in NY before I moved to LA, and, having seen her only on a tiny screen hosting a cable comedy show from Jersey, my first impression (I swear) was 'She's tiny!" Rosie has been doing a funny routine for years about what it was like to work with Penny and Madonna.
I wonder if all the special features on the DVD now fit on the Blu Ray with the feature...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The LD I had was from Columbia, never had a PSE release unless I'm forgetting things...
Edit: yeah this is it
http://www.amazon.com/Laserdisc-Strathaim-Marshall-Collectors-Edition/dp/B00168ASAC

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if this 2012 edition was released on DVD too? I can't seem to find any indication it was, though there seems to be a version using this same artwork from 2004. The first DVD with different art was released in 2002. All Region 1. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks