What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A History of Violence -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dvdirv

Grip
Real Name
Irv Haas
Sorry, to contradict most of you, but I thought HISTORY OF VIOLENCE looked just fine.

I have seen Blu-ray titles with poor transfers, but HISTORY is just not one of them.

Perhaps Mr. Harris is used to seeing more grain in his video transfers, but I thought HISTORY looked good--not demo material--but good!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

To be blunt, I trust Robert Harris' eyes, as a recognized indsutry expert, over most others'
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

You must not have seen many New Line blu-ray titles because almost every catalog title has heavy DNR and even some of their "day & date releases" have it too like Hairspray. To blame Warner for A History of Violence when stuff like Dark City is out there is IMO ridiculous.

DVDirv,

Umm, I think Mr Harris is more used to you know, seeing more DETAIL not simply grain. You do know that when transfers like this are run through the DNR machine it kills fine/high frequency detail, right?

I saw screencaps of this transfer and it looks like crap. I shudder to think what it'd look like on my front projector setup if it looks that bad on my 17" monitor.As others have stated, a shame this got DNR'ed as I was ready to buy it.

I've basically come to the realization that I need to expect DNR on every future NL catalog title until proof is there that things have turned around. The funny thing is I almost ordered this disc before any comments were posted online but I saw it was a NL flick so I decided to wait and read...and am glad I did. I have the DVD so I will just stick with it.

Med

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, well this may be a first for us UK Blu-ray buyers but maybe...just maybe...EIV will actually come through with a better release over here! They released the un-cut, slightly more violent version on DVD here in the UK so hopefully their transfer will be from a different source and as such an improvement.

Yeah, I know I'm hoping for a lot there (UK readers will understand) but hey, let's be positive!

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
This really is a shame. AHOV is such a fantastic movie, and I was greatly looking forward to having it on Blu-ray. From the screencaps I've seen--low-res they are, but still giving a decent idea of what the image quality is like--it really does look like detail was eliminated along with the grain. I firmly believe that there's no possible way to retain image detail when the grain is removed; the picture itself suffers in the process, since the grain is a part of that picture.

This is all bothersome especially considering how fantastic the BD for Eastern Promises look. I was hoping to have these two companion pieces looking equally as grand in hi-def.

I'll stick to my DVD upconverted, just as I'll stick with my DVD of The Thing over watching the Blu-ray, 'cos with the BD there's no additional detail or quality, and all the grain has been scrubbed away.

On the subject of New Line: Are their BDs really so bad? I own Shoot 'Em Up and it looks fantastic, very rich in detail and grain. Must just be an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks