What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Bigger Splash -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Luca Guadagnino's A Bigger Splash, has as it's lead players an oddly and occasionally confusing group - Dakota Johnson, Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton and Matthias Schoenaerts.

I had certain expectations going in, based upon having seen the trailer and TV ads.

And it met none of them.

Don't get me wrong. It's a wonderfully crafted film.

It just went absolutely nowhere that I had expected.

What I had presumed to be a "fun in the European sun," filled with sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, turned far darker, and stranger than anyone might consider at first glance, when a second "couple" appears uninvited. It's quirky, unusual, and seems to meander before turning back upon itself.

A Bigger Splash has root in Jacques Deray's 1969 La Piscine, taking it's basic premise and expanding. Both are based upon the same story.

Shot on film by Yorick Le Saux on location at Pantelleria Island in Sicily, the film has all the positive aspects of a travelogue, taking full advantage of forest, sand, sea and sky. There are shots, one of clouds that comes to mind, that are magnificent, and since what we're seeing is a based upon the DI, everything is in place.

A bit of a romance, a bit of mystery, thriller, and a study in relationships on edge, A Bigger Splash is far more than the sum of its parts.

As to parts, anyone with a problem with casual nudity need not apply.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks