What's new

A few thoughts about...THE WARNER CHAT [Everyone on this forum should read this!] (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Exactly. On another message board I summed up the future of studio release strategy as follows:

- New films will still be released on DVD as they have been the last several years, with all except the more indie, low distribution films also getting a BD release. Even that will become less and less common as time goes on and the BD market grows.

- The "evergreen" titles - the Gone with the Winds and Ben-Hurs - will get new releases on BD. If the previous DVDs are not up to snuff and the title is big enough it will get a new DVD release as well. This has already happened with the likes of Blade Runner and An American in Paris.

- Some "evergreen" catalog titles that have already made it to DVD will eventually get the BD release they need, but may have a concurrent new Special Edition DVD release passed up to entice people to move to the BD format. This has already happened with such titles as The Pelican Brief, and seems to be happening with the upcoming BD of Grumpy Old Men. Both titles had early DVD releases (1997-98) that are very poor releases by today's standard, but they will/may not be getting a new DVD release - only BD.

- The handful of A-list catalog titles that haven't seen a DVD release even at this stage of the format will have the red carpet treatment on both formats when the moment finally comes. However, the only title I can even think of that qualifies is The African Queen. Honestly, is there any other no-brainer title that isn't already available? (EDIT: I thought of The Magnificent Ambersons, and even then it might be hard to argue it's a A release and not a B).

- Of the remaining unreleased catalog titles, perhaps up to 10% will see a traditional release on DVD, with probably only a handful getting a BD release until much later in the format's lifespan. These will mostly be titles that are easier to promote with some theme or new-release tie in - horror cult films, for example, which no matter how small the title always find a buying audience.

- The remaining 90% of catalog titles will be available only through the on demand business model, primarily because they are only cost effective to make available if made when the order is received.

-----

In retrospect, my 10/90 ratio of DVD/DVD on Demand may be off, but overall I'd say I'm still confident in my analysis.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

The bit about Grumpy Old Men is an interesting one IF they don't issue a new SD release.

Catalog title should be released in DVD as long as there is a willing market for it and the studio would be dumb not to release it as such. It's really quite simple, the studio gets ALL of the revenue from the first two week of sale on a new video (i.e. new UPC). Therefore the studio that is releasing a hi-def version will release its DVD equivalent, slap on a new cover (if not more) thus getting a new UPC and a higher revenue stream. The problem is when the above is not the case.

The studio may have concluded or retailers have simply told them that they won't be carrying a new UPC SD release of Grumpy Old Men. This could make a lot of sense for retailers that have seen a title at a low price point for a long time on their shelves. Fundamentally, this is a believe that a new UPC wouldn't do much business (three week in and beyond) at a price point that would attract consumers and give them more revenue than the old DVD is generating. Or simply, the studio's own analysis has indicated that draining the supply chain of the old title (and thus suffering stock-outs), cost of returns, etc. doesn't provide the break even point that would warrant the action.

Dan1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan

Pre-submitting wanted titles is one solution, but we have to understand that WHV won't be able to answer every inquiry about every film. That's just the nature of the limited time available on a chat. The advantage of "pre-submitting" is that the folks at Warner would be able to give accurate release status upfront and then proceed to the rest of the chat. It saves time and could give us a lot of information in a timlier fashion.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
All great points.

There is a slight window of hope for these titles on DVD as the remastered versions, as in the chat Warner mentioned a "double features" program. One would presume titles like The Pelican Brief/A Time to Kill and Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men would be a part of this program.

----

In regards to this later chat and the idea of submitting questions before hand, I'd like to mention one of the things I like about these chats goes beyond the "is this title coming" dominance of the questions. Learning more about marketing strategies, restoration processes, and the home video industry business in general is a fun part of these chats now and then, too.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

Overstock on a title in the box set may or may not have prevented best Buy to do orders for BD disc only editions of An American In Paris, Gigi or FOXs South Pacific, as well as other more classic catalog WB titles. Looks like they only stock it online but none of those titles are stocked in stores. I just hope sales don't suffer because they don't stock a couple copies in stores for browsers to buy or someone like myself who doesn't usually pre-order a new release for overwelming fear I won't have it on the release date. I usually pay higher prices for sure, but I can't help it.

I just hope some GOOD changes occur to offer disc only editions for WIZARD- WIND, and CASABLANCA... I did buy Casablanca the day it was released the BOX set looked amazing but the shape was really perfect to sit on a shelf where as the Wizard ones and Gone seem so long and not great for the shelf I hope inside the sets they contain the film in a standard BD case also.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I certainly hope Warner Brothers knows I'm very willing to purchase more Errol Flynn films on DVD! Although I haven't picked up the Western Collection yet. I don't care which titles in his filmography are released, I'll buy them regardless.:D

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Me too. Although OBJECTIVE, BURMA!, DAWN PATROL and DIVE BOMBER are out, there are still enough films left for a wartime themed Flynn box set: DESPERATE JOURNEY, EDGE OF DARKNESS, NORTHERN PURSUIT and UNCERTAIN GLORY.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Any news, whether there'll be another chat with Warner this year?

And by the way, wouldn't it be great to have a permanent platform to communicate with the great guys from Warner, like a special thread, where the user can ask questions and some of these questions will be send to Warner frequently, like every month or every two month?

This will lead to a constant information flow, if Warner accepts, and it'll be a great thing for both sides: we, the consumers, can ask for titles or some facts about the Archive program and Warner stays directly in contact with the customer and it's a nice way of market research, too.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
A "permanent platform" would be great, but it would have to be constantly moderated to avoid it becoming a forum for the kind of intemperate remarks that followed the last Warner chat.

It shows forumites are passionate about discs that are both versatile and digital, but I can imagine it could get a little scary for Studio suits who usually have feedback filtered for them by PR companies.

Arletty

Auditioning
Re: A few thoughts about...THE WARNER CHAT [Everyone on this forum should read this!]

Hello, I'm new, and I decided to start off by taking the advice above.
Please allow me to introduce myself.

In regard to the useful info. below, my problem is I own more than half in the box as single DVDs; so, it is not economic to buy the whole box...as tempting as it is to get the ones I'm missing.

More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I'm very late to this thread, so please forgive me.

Ron is 100% correct. That Warner comes to the table so frequently here is nothing short of miraculous, and I applaud them for it. At the same time, they are in a very competetive business in tough economic times, and deserve the right to play their cards close to the vest.

The only thing I can compare it to is Criterion. Laserdisc collectors saw their titles change street date so many times, we often wondered if they were ever going to come out at all - some were even withdrawn after release (Prince Of Tides comes to mind). You have no idea how long we awaited Criterion's pinnacle modern release, Brazil, and when it finally saw the light of day, it was worth every penny and every pushback.

It is the entertainment BUSINESS. They don't owe us anything. That they are able to put forth the effort to bring us both the best of the best, and the unpolished gems, more than any other studio would dare consider, speaks volumes.

When the gang comes to us for a scheduled visit, they are guests, just as we are as members on the forum. Treat them like such, just as you would expect the membership to treat you. I for one welcome their next visit, if we haven't metaphorically slammed the door on their butts after they brought the coffee and donuts.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Warner Bros. Live Chat Transcript

I spoke with Warner Bros. this morning and they feel bad for having
to wrap up the chat when it was HOT. There is talk about there being
another chat in the near future to make up for the lost time
. The
problem is, the studio has been reading some of the feedback posted
in our forum overnight.
Any news on this point? Would be nice to have the chance to talk with them again.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I'm not sure what the point of a chat would be now. Warner has made it clear that they have given up on releasing classic films other than on burned DVRs. Mr. Feltenstein said as much in the recent Maclean's article (“most of the studios have pretty much said ‘Screw it, we’re out of here, we’re not going to do this.’ ”). Other than six or seven Blu-ray upgrades of their best selling catalog titles over the next two years, I don't think they've got much planned. A chat would only lead to disappointment. I know that expressing disappointment in Warner, no matter how measured or polite, is frowned upon here, but there it is.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Warner has made it clear that they have given up on releasing classic films other than on burned DVRs.
Yep, and because of this, they're working on a next Errol Flynn Set for next year, which was confirmed two/three weeks ago over at the digitalbits. ;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jeff is exaggerating and mis-reading the Feltenstein statements. Warner has slowed their release of catalog product on mass-produced DVDs, but they have certainly not stopped. They have two box sets coming out on October 6th: Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics and TCM Spotlight: Esther Williams Vol. 2 and more plans for months to come. When the subject article identifies Feltenstein, it refers to him as: "George Feltenstein, a senior vice-president at Warner Home Video (which still has some classics scheduled)".

Regards,

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Putting aside the current trickle of titles on the schedule, if I were Warner, I sure wouldn't want to have to justify why each and every title found it's way into the Archive rather than get the full treatment. You know that's how this would go. They would be on the defensive from the get-go and it wouldn't let up. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they have to talk about. They were really pushing the new Ninja Turtles release in the last chat and I just read a review saying it was simply a repackaging of the old discs. I just don't see another chat going particularly well at this point in time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think they could easily answer an Archive vs mass produced justification question in general terms. They would also now potentially have two-tiered answers saying whether or not certain requests might at least get consideration for Archive treatment if not a full fledged retail release.

Also, the Ninja Turtles release was a re-package on SD DVD, but three out of four titles were new to BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks