What's new

A few thoughts about.....LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jeez, I just checked out the link and the changes are just terrible. There's just no excuse for something like this.

On a possibly related note, I often turn on closed captions when watching TV and it is not rare to find the captions paraphrasing the spoken words. Since I'm using them to help me catch something I might miss due to hearing problems, I'm not left in the dark like these very poor translations leave me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The narrative track is for when you are watching the dub. You'll get English subtitles for Swedish text that's on screen that isn't provided a voice over in the dub (such as the newspaper headlines).

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Jeeze, what a bummer! I blind bought this Blu-ray, but I have yet to watch it.

I emailed Magnolia here: [email protected]

Looks like I'll have to watch this movie via the dub. :frowning:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
This is unconscionable. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN was the best film I saw last year and an instant Horror classic. I noticed something was off when I watched it with my wife. I distinctly remembered Eli's line "Twelve... more or less." It was a fantastic bit of dialogue. When that scene came on at home, I noticed that the line had been changed and wasn't nearly as effective. I didn't realize until today that the entire script had been changed. Why would Magnet do this, when a fantastic subtitle script was already completed and used for the theatrical run?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Double bummer! I'm nearly finished with the book and will be watching the movie within the next week or two. So have we confirmed that there is no better sub track on the BD than the standard one people are referring to? Is that descriptive narrative track not a suitable substitute? Thanks in advance...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know of a good place to import the Swedish BD? It is a shame one has to be force to import a title with lossy audio in order to get accurate subtitles.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wonder if there isn't some behind-the-scenes legal issue with the translation used in the theatrical release.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
Bill at Digital Bits just posted an update. Magnolia says they are going to reprint the DVD and Blu-Ray with the original theatrical subs, but they will not be doing any exchanges for the dumbed-down versions.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Not doing an exchange program is a mistake that may come back to haunt Magnet. Way to engender ill will with your primary demographic.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony

Well said, I agree. This is an opportunity for Magnet to generate trust in their willingness to stand behind their product. Honestly, it's great that they are rectifying the situation for future customers, but it's sad that they won't protect their current customers. I hope they change their mind. :thumbsdown: :angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wait, so they acknowledge the problem by re-pressing with the correct subs, but aren't going to rectify the situation for those who have already bought it?

Lame. Really lame.

I actually haven't opened it, and I bought it from Amazon, so I'm contemplating returning, but it's such a freakin' hassle. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: for the no exchange policy. Way to reward those who had early faith that you would be turning out a quality product.

James_Koch

Agent

Email them. [email protected]

If everyone that is upset about this emails them, they might decide that it would be a good idea to try and save face with their customers, and start up an exchange program.

Dan M

Second Unit
Even with the bogus subs this is still an excellent movie.
I rented this on dvd the other day and was quite taken with it.

But I agree this should be rectified by correcting the subs AND allowing early purchasers to exchange their discs for the corrected one. I wouldn't imagine this type of film would have mass appeal but more of a cult type of status attached to it. The majority of purchasers for this film would be true enthusiasts and would want the film presented properly with the right subs.

I think Magnolia should seriously consider that.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

ooooh!

you actually miss a really sly little joke here when the bad translation is used.
you don't start with the corners, you start with the edge pieces, or in the lexicon of rubiks, you 'find the cross'. Then you fill in the corners. Only a vampire would start with the corners, to avoid making the cross. Nice!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have already sent Magnolia/Magnet an email with our letterhead
expressing our outrage that consumers who bought DVDs and BDs
affected by their mistake are going to have to pay for it and not be
offered a replacement.

I hope that more members here send the same email to the company.

Perhaps we can convince them to offer an exchange.

[email protected]

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Thank you, Ron.

I've done the same as well. I am really anxious to watch this movie and was planning to do so this weekend. But I'm going to wait.

I've sent them another email politely stating my displeasure. I will be terribly disappointed if they choose to ignore our concerns.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I just sent them an e-mail. Hope this helps. Anyone else who hasn't done so please e-mail them A.S.A.P. Hopefully they will do the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks