A few simple home theater questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Corle, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Rich Corle

Rich Corle Stunt Coordinator

Well, first off, I need to ask you guys a question about reciever setup. On my reciever, you can set the levels of all the speakers (-10 to 10). For my sub, I got it on the standard 0 and it provides much low end but not distracting. My center speaker is +2 for a little bit louder dialogue. One thing I'm just guessing on is the rears. When set at 0, the sound was very faint and could barely hear anything out of them. Now i have them both set to +5 and can clearly hear everything going on back here as opposed to nothing with 0. Should I be able to tell when sounds are coming from the sides? On JP DTS I can clearly hear that most of the rain is coming from the sides. On another subject: mono sound. When the surround is turned on everything comes from the center speaker. When surround is turned off, the front speakers are getting the job. What I want to know is, what is the correct way to listen to mono tracks? It seems to me like turning the surround off and letting it come from the front speakers sounds better. Thanks.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Rich;
    Well, there is no "better" way of listening to mono tracks. If you prefer the way it sounds with two speakers instead of one, go for that.
    Concerning the rest of your set up, it sounds as if you're mostly guessing which settings are the best for your system. I have a recommendation that will really bring out the best your system has to offer with no guessing invovled. Pick up a DVD calibration disc like Avia or Video Essentials and a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) Meter from Radio Shack. This way, you'll be able to calibrate all your speakers, subwoofer included, to operate at the same output level. You'll also get a number of video test patterns that can greatly improve your picture. Believe me, the results of doing these easy, minor adjustments can be very rewarding.
    Hope that helps.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I second Jeffrey's suggestion to get an SPL meter and a calibration disc. This is probably the most important thing you can do for your system and until you do it, you aren't truly experiencing home theater.
    The sound information encoded into each track of a multi channel sound presentation is meant to reach your ears at a certain volume. Once you've calibrated, sound will move from speaker to speaker in a smooth, natural way which won't be distracting, but rather will reinforce what you see on screen, providing additional realism.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection