What's new

A few Richard Dreyfuss Films Not Available On Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
1. THE GOODBYE GIRL
What the hell? C'mon, WB...this movie is what the Archives are for!

2. THE BIG FIX
Terrific neo-noir with Dreyfuss as a private eye. This never got beyond the VHS stage. WHY???

3. THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ
Often hilarious story of a young Jewish man trying to prove himself in 1940's Montreal.

4. THE COMPETITION
Dreyfuss and beautiful Amy Irving as lovers who also happen to be going for the same prize in a piano competition.

5. STAKEOUT
Interestingly (but frustratingly), we have been given ANOTHER STAKEOUT on Blu-ray, but not the superior first.

6. WHAT ABOUT BOB?
Low-key Dreyfuss and neurotic Bill Murray co-star in truly funny and touching comedy.

7. SILVER CITY
Wonderful and neglected political satire from John Sayles echoes the Bush administration.

There are others, but the above would all be day-one purchases for me.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I have been asking for GOODBYE GIRL for years. Way overdue. WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY? would be most welcome. And while we are on the subject of Warner Archives-These films need to be released blu--- GOODBYE MR CHIPS ---LOCAL HERO and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. Of the twenty- three films on my wish list--Warner owns half of them. Four Herbert Ross films not on blu---GOODBYE MR CHIPS--PENNIES FROM HEAVEN ---GOODBYE GIRL and PLAY IT AGAIN SAM and Warner owns three of them.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Does Universal license out to anybody for blu-ray releases? Would love The Big Fix on blu and did not know the DVD-R was available but will likely order that as it seems a long shot we'd see a blu of this film. Another Dreyfuss film I thought was very funny and would love to see on blu is Let It Ride.

Let_It_Ride.jpg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Does Universal license out to anybody for blu-ray releases? Would love The Big Fix on blu and did not know the DVD-R was available but will likely order that as it seems a long shot we'd see a blu of this film. Another Dreyfuss film I thought was very funny and would love to see on blu is Let It Ride.

View attachment 33444
For bluray Universal has sub-licensed to Criterion for movies and Mill Creek for TV shows
However this is a Paramount film and would be '"managed" by Warner Brothers for video and while WB has rarely sub-licensed to Criterion I don't think they would be able to sub-license the Paramount catalog

Basically, the pre-1950 Paramount library was sold to MCA which merged with Universal ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCA_Inc.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have been asking for GOODBYE GIRL for years. Way overdue. WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY? would be most welcome. And while we are on the subject of Warner Archives-These films need to be released GOODBYE MR CHIPS ---LOCAL HERO and PENNIES FROM HEAVEN.
Don't know how I could have left WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY off my short list. Brilliant performance. needs Hi-Def!

moe green

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
The fact that Duddy Kravitz has never even been released letterboxed (it's a widescreen film!) on DVD or Blu-ray is insane.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The availability of "The Goodbye Girl" in HD, let alone Blu-Ray, is a mystery. iTunes and Vudu still only offer it in SD. TCM continued to show "The Goodbye Girl" in upconverted SD after TCM began offering HD content a couple of years ago, until last year when it finally surfaced on TCM in HD. Odd treatment for one of the most successful romantic comedies of the late 70s.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The availability of "The Goodbye Girl" in HD, let alone Blu-Ray, is a mystery. iTunes and Vudu still only offer it in SD. TCM continued to show "The Goodbye Girl" in upconverted SD after TCM began offering HD content a couple of years ago, until last year when it finally surfaced on TCM in HD. Odd treatment for one of the most successful romantic comedies of the late 70s.
Well now that we know a HD transfer of The Goodbye Girl (1977) exists, a Blu is hopefully not far behind, even if it's MOD Blu.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Well now that we know a HD transfer of The Goodbye Girl (1977) exists, a Blu is hopefully not far behind, even if it's MOD Blu.
I recorded the recent showing on TCM. Even though it is better than the dvd it has cue marks ,hardly a transfer ready for bluray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
While he's not top-billed ...
hellodownthere-1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

With a cast like this*, I gotta see this movie.

*Seriously, Roddy McDowall AND Merv Griffin in the same movie, and in 1969! Not to mention Charlotte Rae's theatrical film debut (she'd already amassed plenty of TV credits in this pre-Facts of Life, pre-Sesame Street, post-Car 54 stage of her career).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Bad news regarding What About Bob? It seems it was the subject of a lawsuit last year filed by Richard Dreyfuss himself.*

*Turner & Hooch, which was filmed within a half hour of where I live, is also the subject of that lawsuit.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
1. THE GOODBYE GIRL
What the hell? C'mon, WB...this movie is what the Archives are for!

2. THE BIG FIX
Terrific neo-noir with Dreyfuss as a private eye. This never got beyond the VHS stage. WHY???

3. THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ
Often hilarious story of a young Jewish man trying to prove himself in 1940's Montreal.

4. THE COMPETITION
Dreyfuss and beautiful Amy Irving as lovers who also happen to be going for the same prize in a piano competition.

5. STAKEOUT
Interestingly (but frustratingly), we have been given ANOTHER STAKEOUT on Blu-ray, but not the superior first.

6. WHAT ABOUT BOB?
Low-key Dreyfuss and neurotic Bill Murray co-star in truly funny and touching comedy.

7. SILVER CITY
Wonderful and neglected political satire from John Sayles echoes the Bush administration.

There are others, but the above would all be day-one purchases for me.

The Big Fix was recently released on DVD-R from Universal's Vault Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks