What's new

A few questions (1 Viewer)

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting my first receiver and had a few questions. How much better is Dolby Digital compared to Pro logic? Is pro logic any good? Also, what happens when you watch a 5.1 dvd on a pro logic system? Will you get any surround?
Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The answers to all those questions are in the primer:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55635
These are the posts of interest in it.
Dolby Digital Audio Format by Adam Barratt
DTS Audio Format by Dan Brecher
Dolby Prologic and Prologic II by Chris Tsutsui
Older Surround formats vs. modern 5.1 / 6.1 formats by Patrick Sun
THX - is this an audio format? by Dan Brecher
The only one I'm not entirely sure is answered is your last question. All DD DVDs also have a DD 2.0 track (more or less the same as prologic). So yes you will still get sound.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound offer full bandwith sound from 5 speakers plus a Low Frequency Effects subwoofer. This is referred to as 5.1 (5 discrete channels plus LFE).
DPL systems offer surround sound, but the rear channels are identical. The subwoofer in the DPL setup outputs bass from all channels, and does not receive its own signal. In other words, Dolby Digital and DTS are far better at producing an enveloping, theater-like experience.
For more detailed information, please spend some time reading the FAQ.
Welcome to the forum!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jacob,

As others offered, you should read through the primer!

The thing to remember is that Pro-Logic isn't so much a sound "format", as it is a processing scheme. Prologic takes a stereo signal, and figures out a way to make it "surround". Certainly materials are preparred specifically to be used with proLogic, and thus result in a more pleasing surround mix- but for the most part ProLogic is just a special effect audio filter which creates a "surround" output from a 2 channel signal.

Dolby Digital on the other hand is an actual format which delivers 6 channels of audio that are kept discrete. This makes a world of difference in direction placing and cues. Not to mention that with ProLogic the rear channel are mono and are band limited at 4k, the Dolby Digital system doesn't have these limitations.

So, really, if you want an analogy- in many ways it is like the old days of color TV. When color TV first appeared, legend has it that someone sold "color filters" for old black and white sets- they were basically a piece of clear plastic with blue tint on the top, and green tint on the bottom-- and you were supposed to tape them to your TV screen to add color to the scenes (the blue of the sky and the green of the grass).

This is sort of like Prologic. Prologic is taking something that is actually 2 channel, and making it "surround". Just like with that "color" filter- if a TV show would be specifically designed with the filter in mind- it would probably yield passable results- but nothing in comparison to a true color signal (or a 5.1 signal in our analogy).

So, I really think the two are night and day.

-Vince

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
In short, prologic and Dolby Digital are like night and day. If you are into movies at all, then get a receiver that can handle Dolby Digital as well as dts, in order to take advantage of the great soundtracks that exist on DVD these days, you won't be disappointed.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Jacob,

I just wanted to add to what everyone else is saying: that Dolby Digital and DTS are FAR BETTER than Pro-Logic!

When I got my first DVD player I only had a Pro-Logic receiver and thought the DVD picture was great and the Pro-Logic sound was pretty good. Then about 4 months later I got a Sony ES Dolby Digital & DTS receiver and was blown away how much better the sound was - even with my very cheap and old Sony speakers. Can't imagine what everything will sound like when I'm finally able to upgrade the speakers too!!!

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks