What's new

A Few NHT Questions (1 Viewer)

EdinA2

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Deneke
After years of poverty as a student, I am finally in a place to build my first home theater. I've decided on the following setup:

NHT Classic 3's x 4
NHT Classic 3c center
NHT Classic 12 subwoofer

These will be powered by a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH (Or maybe Denon 3808).

My questions:
1. First, I'd appreciate any opinions on the NHT Classic series. I am an amateur in the world of A/V and the NHT line is new to me. I've been impressed by the few reviews I have found online, but I would be interested in any other recommendations from speakers in the same price range.

2. I'm torn between the Classic 3's + subwoofer vs. the Classic 4 towers without subwoofer. Can anyone give any advice in this area?

Thank you in advance.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
My advice would be to get a different sub. I am partial to SVS as an SVS owner. But when shoping around, the SVS sub left me really wanting a lot more.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've got NHT Superzeros mated with a Hsu VTF2-Mk3 sub and the combo is great. Definately look at both SVS and Hsu to go with the NHTs.

Real Name
CRAIG P
i have the classic fours and they produce little bass contrary to what the reviews state. however, i have yet to hear them after being hooked up with the x2 crossover which i heard helps out immensely.

Ben-S

Grip
Based on extensive listening, i went with 6 Classic 3's, a 3C and an SVS sub. This set-up will give you low end extension that the Classic 4 can't do by itself.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Many who have heard both, including myself, feel that the Four has a little better mid/treble transition/integration due to it's different fixed internal crossover points, including the 125Hz high and low pass crossover from the lower mid to the passive subs than the Three crossed over to a sub at 80 Hz.

As XXX said, if the Fours are bi-amped with an X2 and a couple of A1s, it will give them a tremendous amount of bass control (along with increased output over being driven large/full range with a typical AVR), as well as the ability to independently and separately dial in flat response for 2 channel music at the same time along with a little extra kick and boom for movie soundtracks. You will lose a few Hz in ultimate extension when compared to a SVS for example, but you will gain bass integration, especially on 2 channel music. that the Threes crossed over to a sub being fed by an AVR's or processor's crossover could never hope to accomplish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks